+ Reply to Thread

Thread: P.M. Dawn: Consistent Disappointment

P.M. Dawn: Consistent Disappointment

I have lost all patience with P.M. Dawn. Their general decline, as I see it, began around the controversy with KRS-One. There was a steady recoil away from what should have been an increasing exploration of progressive rap into weak and uninteresting ballads that had content, possibly, but no appeal. And then comes the bitter "I will only let a few random people have this material" projects, and inevitably annoying an commercially fatal gesture, not to mention a slap in the face of the fanbase (and I'm serious here: the lack of availability of new material really annoys me, especially when it EXISTS and when there is absolutely no reason why it should not be available for purchase - PURCHASE, not DOWNLOAD. I want a produced item, damnit.) Top that off with persistent promises of new albums repeatedly broken. WTF, PMD, you think your stuff's that good? Where's the proof? No results, and nothing pending. Just go ahead and say you're not doing new material and stop letting people think something's on the way. If you're done, BE DONE. If you aren't, get the shit together, make a CD and get it in the stores.

You started something and didn't finish it! Even now, after KRS and Chuck D et al have proven to the world that they're nothing but sellouts and always have been!

What are you waiting for, Cordes? GET IT DONE, BY GOD!

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF BEING DISAPPOINTED!

And for Pete's sake, release F'ed music on CD already.
    ---
    MG

Intelligent Posts :11

Sir....I find it very selfish of you that you Demand that they do anything. Be and JC can do whatever they want with THEIR music. Do you understand?

Im sensing that there is a bigger fish to fry than what you are stating. Are you having a rough time in life? Tell you what, post a bit more and become friends. Lord knows we are all a bunch of manic depressants around here. We tend to be the proverbial shoulder to cry on....Let it out son.

P.S. Demanding something can get you a quick exit. If thats what you want, let me know.
    Last edited by Chief; 04-16-2005 at 12:46 PM.

You know, the world needs more people like you, Guerdis

So Chief can run them over

You see, we generally try and be *supportive* of those whom we claim to be fans of.

there we go, just right. keep walking...

Guerdis

who the fuck are you...? that's what I thought...nobody, now SHUT THE FUCK UP

i really hope that was a joke.

I really doubt this was a joke, but that is just the pessimist in me talking.
    fullamyself, sickamyself, truetamyself

I will always be myself - through the good times and the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerdis
    If you're done, BE DONE. If you aren't, get the shit together, make a CD and get it in the stores.
    Who's spikin' the punch and fakin' the funk?
    I think they're doing a swell job keeping your mouth all watery and summat!

Not everyone likes them, not everyone agrees with them, not everyone sees things the way they do, and ultimately, that’s just fine and dandy. I'm guessin' that it aint easy bein’ them. Just think for a second...if you are too soft with people they walk all over you, if you are too subtle with them, they ignore you, and if you are too hard with them, they get their precious feelings hurt…but I hope they press on, because they do what they do and they do it because we simply loooove the way they do it.

Now let’s all cancel our lesson plan for today, put our feetsies up on our desks, and order a pizza!

Even now, after KRS and Chuck D et al have proven to the world that they're nothing but sellouts and always have been!

Hmmm...when did either of these two prove to be sellouts? I mean, I still love me some PM Dawn, but I also ride for KRiS, I just think the beef reflects negatively on both of them. Really, I think of anybody who ever went up against KRS One, PM Dawn handled it the best, even if they did get slapped up onstage. I think that was just a low point in KRiS's self-control. But I don't see how you can think he's sold out, unless you're referring to that weird dalliance with fundamentalist Christianity a couple years back. But with that bizarre phase behind him, he's still representin' the gospel of Hiphop, doin' it real big. I just saw a show and a lecture last week, and he's trying to build a nation. To turn Prince Be's question that started this whole beef back around, what have they been doing these past several years that's so great? KRS has put out 4 "real" albums since then as well as numerous mixtapes, built a worldwide Temple, addressed the UN as the official ambassador of Hiphop Kulture, given numerous lectures and played countless shows. PM Dawn has done what? Tried to get on the Spiderman 2 soundtrack. Covered Under the Bridge without clearance. Sold a song to Brandy. Now, with all respect to PM Dawn, who's the sellout? And what has Chuck D. done to be a sellout? Just cuz Flav is actin like his crackhead self, that doesn't reflect on Chuck. Does hosting a Hip Hop show on satellite radio make you a sellout? This is not to antagonize anyone on here, and I sympathize with the gist of the original post, but why KRS gotta be a sellout? Why Chuck gotta be a sellout? You don't have to bring them into this to make your point. And betting against KRS is ALWAYS a losing bet. There's certain people in this world you just have to learn to give the benefit of the doubt to. One is KRS. The only other one I know of is Prince. You may want to give Michael Jackson the benefit of the doubt, but you got to eventually learn he probably doesn't deserve it anymore. And maybe neither does Be. But please, feel free to prove me wrong. Peace, D

as for the trying to get on spiderman two soundtrack and sell song to brandy.......

hes trying to do something called feed his fuckin kids!

it kinda sucks when you dont own the masters to all the recordings that made you famous....(we can thank good old morris for keeping all the 91-2000 recordings to himself)
    oh and i dont even know the publishing situation!

plus when every record company you go to wont hire you cuz they consider you an 18-35 demograph and they dont buy enough records..or...you had your run in the early 90s kinda shit.....i think youd sell an old song to a hit artist to buy your kids some bookbags and turkey franks...

sadly their two best albums werent even hits due to no marketing of any kind...and yet they make utopian look downright elementary...

im not claiming that i know all the situations that go on but i do know this guy has been trying his ass off to get back with the record comps for years....but (under my assumption)they wont hire him cuz they think hes a niche artist....and he is so much more than that....he is an intelligent kind loving person who like all of us is conflicted in his personal and proffesional life...hes doing what it takes to pay the bills..and its only selling out if you hate what your doing and so far i dont see be with a frown on his face when he refers to his music...
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

Quote Originally Posted by syxxpm
    as for the trying to get on spiderman two soundtrack and sell song to brandy.......

hes trying to do something called feed his fuckin kids!

it kinda sucks when you dont own the masters to all the recordings that made you famous....(we can thank good old morris for keeping all the 91-2000 recordings to himself)
    oh and i dont even know the publishing situation!

plus when every record company you go to wont hire you cuz they consider you an 18-35 demograph and they dont buy enough records..or...you had your run in the early 90s kinda shit.....i think youd sell an old song to a hit artist to buy your kids some bookbags and turkey franks...

sadly their two best albums werent even hits due to no marketing of any kind...and yet they make utopian look downright elementary...

im not claiming that i know all the situations that go on but i do know this guy has been trying his ass off to get back with the record comps for years....but (under my assumption)they wont hire him cuz they think hes a niche artist....and he is so much more than that....he is an intelligent kind loving person who like all of us is conflicted in his personal and proffesional life...hes doing what it takes to pay the bills....if your calling this selling out than apparently you live in a 50 acre mansion

This is my favorite post of the day!

but i changed my ending cuz i figured corndogg only meant is as a flippant remark with no harm done so i took my harsher ending off ....
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

Not even flippant

Just making a point to the original poster. The point being that maybe sellout wasn't the best comparison to make. If you wanna talk about keepin it hood, KRS has em on that point. Like I said, I have nothing but respect for PM Dawn tryin to do what they do and tryin to get paid for it. I know enough about their trials and tribulations to know they gotta do what they can. And trust me, I know about having kids to feed. I'm in a job I hate right now for that very reason, so it's not like I was trying to say he should be above that or anything. I'm frustrated by the lack of new material since 98 same as everybody, but my remark was more for the poster than as any dis to Be. Peace, D

I don't even think we should've responded to that... let him keep being disappointed... I think he forgot to list his name under the "sell-out" category!!

I HAVE THE POWER
    Only thing worse than failure is not trying

PM is doing the best they can under their given cirumstance...deal with it.
    Wake me up at 9:45.

+ Reply to Thread