+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Listen up!

• My name is Renee.
    • I'm 36.
    • I'm black.
    • I have a B.A. from the Unviersity of Washington. It's either in my filing cabinet or a photo album in storage.
    • I don't visit this forum very often -- when I get the urge for forum visiting, it's usually pretty quiet here.
    • I've lived exclusively in Seattle, except for a technicality and that month in SE India.
    • Even though I have five half-siblings, I was raised as an only-child.
    • My dad died in 1989 at age 72. My other is pushing 80 now. I may have met my paternal grandfather once, but I can't remember.
    • I've been told that I write very well. In Spring of 2004 I won a contest based on my writing and went to England for entirely too short an amount of time.
    • After two years of completely failing to, I submitted my application for The Academy of Alternative Journalism in Chicago. Even if I don't get in this year, at least I'll have tried.
    • For those who follow such things: Libra sun, Cancer moon, Scorpio rising.
    • Ron Perlman, Forest Whitacker and Vin Diesel would have to eat a lot of crackers to get thrown out of my bed.
    • The first time I seriously contemplated suicide was in college -- I was an outcast who was best friends with a highly depressed kid and he kinda rubbed off on me. I knew where my dad's gun was, knew I was a complete disappointment to my parents (still do) and couldn't picture a future worth living through. A sappy song on the radio snapped me out of it.
    • I've been voluntarily sterile since Summer of 1998. I have no children and have never been pregnant.
    • The last time I seriously considered suicide was the Spring of 1998, during my first pregnancy scare. I was getting divorced and had never liked children. Despite the fact that my situtation was completely understandable (I think that being pregnant before the divorce papers go in isn't looked down upon by anyone I'd be willing to talk to), I was so ashamed and mortified that I considered everything from poison to natural abortificants to keeping the baby just so I'd have someone around who loved me. It took about two more weeks and two more tests to confirm that it had been a false positive.
    • I have a tattoo of Anubis on my upper right arm.
    • I think I first heard PM Dawn in the Summer of '93, when Reality Used to be a Friend of Mine came on the local alternative radio station. I've never been to a PM Dawn concert and don't know if they've ever made it to Seattle.
    • I just realized that the last time I dated someone of my own race was before I hit puberty.
    • My last Improv 101 class is this coming Tuesday.
    • The last book I read was Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay by Mira Kirshenbaum.
    • I'm currently reading Night Watch by Terry Prachett.
    • I want to learn to crochet so that I can repair my favorite sweater.
    • I came out as bi and polyamorous during my very brief marriage.
    • I'm an introvert, but socialize to keep from going completely peculiar.
    • Songs that make my cry include The Life by Wendy and Lisa, That's Me by Tara MacLean and Brenda Stubbert by Ashley MacIssac. They tend to involve life either being cut short or not used fully.
    • I also tend to cry during movies or books about deposed or doomed Chinese imperialists: Dragon Lady by Sterling Redgrave, Kundun and The Last Emperor.
    • Orange was my favorite color when I was growing up: it's the color all the really good sunrises and sunsets, and no one else liked it so there was always plenty of cool construction paper around.
    "Uncertain emotions force an ... uncertain smile." - The The

On the corner of Grey Street and at the end of the world

Am I too late? No? Great.

I'm Stan.
    I just recently just turned 32.
    I'm single straight black male who has never been in love
    Still live with parents
    I am the youngest of 4 children (2 brothers and 1 sister)
    I have 1 niece (20 going on 35), 1 nephew (10 going on 28),and a great-nephew (month 1/2).
    I have a high school diploma, and an associates degree in journalism.
    I've been listening to PM Dawn since 1991
    I also listen to Seal, The Dave Matthews Band, Tracy Chapman, Billie Meyers, Gabrielle, Prince (mostly his earlier sessions), Tricky, and Vast to name a few.
    I am sometime awkward, absent-minded, and often forget things which annoys the hell out of my best friend (lol)
    I gave my life to Christ a second time 2 years ago and there's not a day that I don't regret it.
    I love to draw, write, read comics, sci-fi and fantasy books, play video games (although my time on that has been rare as of late), watch wrestling (WWE and TNA) and cartoons (too many to name here and now), not to crazy about reality based shows though there are a few (surreal life, cheaters,) that make me laugh.
    Around my friends, I'm like the life of the party, but if I don't know you I'm as shy as a 3 year old.
    And if you haven't heard this yet I have 15 different personalities which I will get into another time so to answer your question whether or not I laid pipe with Halle Berry? If you ask me, the answer is no. The Rhythmchylde is 11 and I'm going to leave that one alone. Madame Maiden and Sista Something don't swing like that, Boomski Love would say "hell yeah" but she'll deny it. The others I can't speak for, so I guess you'll never know.

Seriously, one last thing I forgot to mention is that I have a hard time opening up to strangers and speaking out in front of a crowd with out trembling like a silly woman in a bad horror flick, but I can talk one on one when I feel comfortable enough to trust them which is not easy.
    Well that's all I have for now. Anything else comes up, I be sure to let you know.
    If it's my world too, then whose gold is this I'm digging out

Hmmm...half siblings, I always forget that part.

Though I was raised as and have always considered myself an only child, I met my half-sister when I was 16. Her and her mother were trying to track down our father and found me instead. She finally tracked him down at his funeral about 10 years ago, it was the only time that she had ever laid eyes on him.

Though she is the only half-sibling I have yet to meet, I have since found out that I probably have well over 35 of them, the oldest is a 50 something year old brother, the youngest a 15 year old sister. Most of us have never met the rest of us, and are mostly unaware of each other.

Oh, and my oldest brother was the original bass player for the 70s funk group Mandrill, and was married for a time to the girl's dean of my high school...while I went there, and we've STILL never met.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

I love all you guys. To a different degree for sure, but everyone here means something to me, however small or large. This post should continue forever, we should all update ourselves as time adds to us. We should all keep up, as a unique collection of people, sentient beings as the Dalai Lama would refer, and I find us all amazing!

We, which to me can clearly be seen, have compassion for other people and each other. And that is all that matters, and I know the dalai lama would back me up on that... Now who is going to back me up on this post?
    fullamyself, sickamyself, truetamyself

I will always be myself - through the good times and the bad.

100%

I'll back you up. I know I change. I'm still taking in all the wonerful, diverse and open hearts that I now know DO exist.
    Who else is "lurking" out there. I think it's safe now... you can come out.
    I've already changed sum now that I heard my own voice and people responded to it. Very assuring... and just nice.

My name is Tonya
    I'm 29 years old and a Leo like most of the members here.

I'm the oldest of 3 (2 younger brothers) and raised by my mother. I don't have any children but I'd like to one day.

I have a bachelors and a masters degree from VA Tech
    I was an English Professor at the age of 24

I'm in law school now (I hate studying Constitutional Law and I have a theory law professors are forged in the 9th circle of hell)

I used to model

I love watching cartoons

I probably would live off of cheeseburgers and fries if I could keep my dress size.

I'm nearly 3 years into the love of my life (a very tall poet who won my heart by making up a poem about me on the spot at an open mic)

I'm a Christian and follower of the teachings of Jesus Christ
    I'm nice and honest to a fault (could not tell a believable lie if my life depended on it, and believe me I've tried)

My faith is a little shaky but I'm still waiting for the meek to inherit
    I have a naive belief in the innate goodness in all men/women and sincerely take it to heart when I am continuously confronted with the exact opposite.

My friends say I'm the nicest person in the world until I pull out my soapbox and leave a trail of bodies in my wake (hoping this will help me in the courtroom)

School and work don't permit me to post here as often as I'd like, but I do enjoying my time here; Ask Coz, the quickest way to get me going about 8 pages into a post is to say "All women (or men) are_______ {fill in the blank with your choice of stereotype}
    Don't let them change you inside, cause anyone who matters will try to understand who you are.

When you always stay in self-incarceration...I think it's such a shame.

I made a pilgrimage to save this human race, never comprehending the race was long gone by.

Hmm.. Well guess i'll come on in with it..

Im sdldawn.. often called TheXodus
    My name is Stephen
    Im from Mississippi
    I am a male
    Im White (but olive complexion.. lebonese)
    I love music
    Been round here since the early days... one of the originals of this mofo
    Was here when it was mp3land.. gettin the goodies like cocain cookies
    Im a pmdawn fan (obviously) little thirsty, but not dehydrated.. so take your time be.
    I love women
    I play piano.. by ear.. just about anything
    Play a tad bit of bass
    I'm tryin my best to get my doctorial degree in Audiology..
    LOVE Prince
    other people I dig is Ben folds, Beck, Radiohead, J Buckley, Paul McCartney, Beatles, Lennon, Mum, spoon, ani Difranco, tori A, Josh Rouse, George M, Jon Brion..this list is in the hundreds.. Im a definant music lover.
    I currently Dig the movie Napoleon Dynamite
    I love Vanilla Sky, Eternal Sunshine.. ect..
    I do photography (black and white, color, ect) of Jackson MS and had a blast doing it as my hobby, also pickin up a few spare bucks on the way.
    Love coffee, Medium Roast..
    Not affiliated with any base religions, but believe in God and spirituality. Grew up Catholic. I learned from all the major religions.. Its important to me.
    I love life
    Have solara
    I sometimes disapoint some people, but thats life isnt it.
    I try my best at whatever I do.. that matters to me..
    I'm not gonna go into my family and ect.. i'll stick to that material based stuff.. im not gonna marry any of yall so..

Oh yeah, I Dig Elmo
    -TheXodus-

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy11
    Ask Coz, the quickest way to get me going about 8 pages into a post is to say "All women (or men) are_______ {fill in the blank with your choice of stereotype}
    Typical female response!
    Alright
    Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Cozymandias
    Typical female response!

oh man dont say that cause it has the same effect on me!! ohh and i just realised that your reply has exactly the property foxy was referring to !!!
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Heheheheh.......
    Alright
    Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by sdldawn
    Play a tad bit of bass

Hey I actually took some bass lessons from the bass player at my church for a few months, but had to stop because of law school. Unfortunately all I got up to was learning scales and a barely passable rendition of Hendrix's "Fire" oh and a little bit of "Pick Up the Pieces" by Average White Band.
    Don't let them change you inside, cause anyone who matters will try to understand who you are.

When you always stay in self-incarceration...I think it's such a shame.

I made a pilgrimage to save this human race, never comprehending the race was long gone by.

I can just pick out one liners to be honest.. like Seven Nation Army type base line...

I dont own a bass so I cant practice
    -TheXodus-

sdldawn, We share very similar tastes in music... for whatever thats worth. Beck's latest stuff is pretty much unprecidented isn't it.. Bitrate variations in B-flat blew me away. It sounded like Nintendo on psychodelics but yet it has palpable soul. You liked Vanilla Sky? You should see the the film Waking life if you haven't. One of a kind film.
    Foxy11, My mom, and my brother and my sitster in law all had kids after 40. My nephew's are intelligent well rounded kids 6 & 7 years old now... hope your "one day" comes.

Coz, you scare me a little bit for some reason.

Most everyone posting on this thread are Senior Members. So I have to redeem myself by letting everyone know I was practically hitting the streets with the good news of p.m. dawn from the start. So there!

Quote Originally Posted by aerotrooper
    sdldawn, We share very similar tastes in music... for whatever thats worth. Beck's latest stuff is pretty much unprecidented isn't it.. Bitrate variations in B-flat blew me away. It sounded like Nintendo on psychodelics but yet it has palpable soul.
    Wait till ya hear the final album.. those are only remixes...

Im gonna ramble about beck for a moment

The new album is incredible.. its the brother to Odelay.. to me at least..

Odelay is a materpiece in my opinion.. I think its hard for the majority to understand.. because its sketchy, its loose and the hooks are present, but underneath a core of edgy loops that created a soundscape of trippy rhythems and leads you to the unknown.. like any great artist should..

Guero is simular, but more refined and mature.. The lyrics on the album are well thought out.. the hooks and beats are layered, and the overall feel of the album is fun. I havent heard the slow songs yet, but Im sure its a nice addition to this album.
    Guero isnt a new territory for Beck, but it is for the listeners who arent familiar with his work. In fact, if u played Odelay, then followed Guero.. it would sound like a continuation...
    Most of the songs are very hooky and rough sounding, which is very positive.. I love it, its raw funky and becks voice sounds timeless.
    Beck does most of the instruments, and the hooks and beats he samples are just fan fucking tastic.
    Earthquake Weather for example is a brilliant song.. The beat is so heavily layered, and let me say that his beats that are sampled on this album arent just your average beat.. their good fucking beats.. its an obvious thing to recognize when listening to it..

My point? Beck is the man.. an leader

Beck is the man..
    -TheXodus-

I have to agree... (seems where online at the same time, rare here) Anyway, Odelay creates a full 3-D world of swagger and grace. It was "Nicotine and Gravy" that slam dunked his genius for me. The way he could move from a compliant groove to a strong tention, back again and then to a seemingly impossible transition into a Presbyterian Hymn, and it all feels as natural as can be. "Keep your lamp light trimmed and burning."
    Were getting off topic though. Can't wait for the full release.

Intelligent Posts :11

Hi.....

Im Chief Grassy Knoll, formerly known as Chief KwiktoKillaKitty...

Im black, and I hate me some whiteys.....bring your cracka asses around me and i shoot you right in the buttocks...ok......im not racist...hold it.....i do like to club baby seals in the springtime....it makes me more self actualized.....ok...im the last hold out on my reservation...want some? come get some.....This war aint over you limey brits.....

contrary to hieros views, i dont like to have intercourse with animals, (that is unless you consider his mother one)...

im here cuz im dying to get an autograph of Zanphyr and his pan flute...and Im really hoping that he does a collaboration with Doug e Fresh and Whodini....talk about a rockin concert.....

Also...I was told Keanu was going to show up, somebody go get him please.....

And I really wanted to know how to get Intimate Relations Music...I dont have it and I must attain it...

I believe in God, and I believe he has a sense of humor...Cuz Im willing to bet that he starts Armegedon before Illinois gets to the national title game....*raises clinched fist in air*

oh...and i really have some BAAAD Farts right now....."oofff"....

Intelligent Posts :11

oh yea...and i like porn

sdldawn, We share very similar tastes in music... for whatever thats worth.
    NOT MUCH!!!
    Alright
    Yeah...

Coz, you scare me a little bit for some reason.
    BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID!!!
    Alright
    Yeah...

Were getting off topic though.
    Don't mean a damm round these here parts.
    Alright
    Yeah...

+ Reply to Thread