+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Take this job

I ain't your sucka baby.. The_Kay_Dee's Avatar

News from the Student/ Instructor front.
    The assistant Dean of my school decided to come down to MY med-Lab to see the progress I have made.
    Since I have been hired, I have installed several new safety proceedures and numerous peices of vital equipment.
    The DR. that recommended me for the position lauds and praises me for my work. In a unanimous decision, I was voted STUDENT OF THE SEMESTER!!!! For my work in turning the lab into a success.
    Accidents BEFORE I was hired- 41
    Accidents after- 1
    Safety violations before-6
    After- 0
    But........
    The assistant Dean seems to think that this WHOLE running a Lab and coercing volunteers thing is EASY!
    She saw that I had procurred 35 volunteers for my students to "Work" on. The next day she tells me that the method is incorrect and that I need to change the way I run the lab.
    The VOLUNTEERS need to come in on a SCHEDULE and only 5 at a time.
    MY RESPONSE? These people are VOLUNTEERS. It already takes 10-15 minutes or persuading and coercing to get them to come in for a procedure. We have to take them at the time they agree or lose them completely.
    This would translate into SEVERAL students NOT gaining the required # of successful procedures to pass the course.
    Example- A student needs to have 100 SUCCESSFUL venipunctures
    in a 12 week period to pass. There are 10 students in my class.
    ( Important to pay close attention in a lab so classes stay small.)
    Students can only stick each other 4 times before they must stop.
    From that point they rely on VOLUNTEERS to gain the required 100
    sticks.
    Now, if it takes 10 minutes to convince someone to let you stick them with a needle, then you tell them to come down in 45 minutes for this, how many people will show up?
    NONE.
    You give them time to reconsider, too much time.
    Especially since they DON'T have to be stuck.
    The assistant Deans response to this?
    In the REAL world Dr.s office, people don't get to pick the time, or person that does the sticking.
    She COMPLETELY MISSED the point.
    Response- This is not a Dr.s office and these people DONOT have to be stuck. they can and will walk away. They are VOLUNTEERS this implies a willing NOT required cooperation.
    This debate continued for 45 minutes on the rights of a volunteer after they have given consent.
    She says that once they say yes they are obligated to come to the lab for the proceedure they volunteered for and that she personnaly will post the schedule for them to come in.
    Secondly These proceedures take place DURING CLASSES.
    If an instructor feels thier lecture is more important at the time the a. dean schedules, how many volunteers will we get?
    ZERO.
    She thinks that since she can tell instructors what to do in thier time management meetings, that she can also control the entire student body and thier minds.
    I finally gave up and told her to try it her way, butthat I would NOT sign ANY papers pertaining to this change and that I will not be associated in any way with her new program of "schedules and spacing"
    The 2 Dr.s that are my co-workers agree that there will be a large problem. They voiced this to our A. dean and were summarily silenced.
    I think I may not be a student/ Instructor much longer.
    The support for the KayDee lab has been backed by not only the staff, but the student body, but this seems only to have made the A. dean more resilient in her efforts to DESTROY my baby. (The Lab)
    Should I just quit now and save my self some time ( and finally get some freakin' sleep, or should I wait for this thing to bite her in the ass then come to the rescue by re-instating my procedures and regulations? ( with just a little told ya so?)
    A man is where he loves, not where he lives....

You should follow the path that will most benefit your students.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

I ain't your sucka baby.. The_Kay_Dee's Avatar

So what I can't remember....

O.k. I couldn't seem toi find the post where in I was thinking of giving up my job due to an instructor I called "Spit."
    Anyhow in a short re-cap.....
    I was hired to be a studeent instructor here at our glorious college, and
    I was first accosted by an instructor with a bad attitude.
    He didn't want me to work in the lab.....
    Well folks hold on to your hats.
    I finally found out the reason he didn't want me to be in the lab......
    He was feeling up the students!
    He was fired TODAY, as last week a female student went to school administration and complained that "Spit" (This is what I call him.)
    Had improperly touched her during instruction on theraputic modalities.
    (Bandaging, Crutches massage & wheelchair.)
    He was wrapping her with the ace bandage and he "rubbed" her breast.
    She informed him of it and considered it an accident.
    He did it again the next day to the same student! ( criminals remember whom you assault!) This sparked off red flag flames in the administration, because last semester the same complaint had been made from several other female students in other lab classes. The admin. in its change over (The President resigned, The dean resigned.....) Neglected to act upon the previous reports and allowed another student to be groped. (Yes she was groped... She felt the hand give her a quick squeeze the second time after perching upon her bosom for around 15 seconds.) So he wanted to be alone in the lab with the students to perpetrate his perverted illness upon our students without lending the ability to be detected through a secondary source.
    NASTY BASTARD. The school has informed the police and "SPIT" has been terminated and the school is waiting on the outcome of the investigation
    before taking any further action. As for the students, they are planning to sue the school for thier neglect of a potentially dangerous situation, and "Spit" for several civil rights violations and sexual battery and assault.
    A man is where he loves, not where he lives....

+ Reply to Thread