+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS MY FRIEND!!

GO HOKIES!!!!

ACC CHAMPIONS!!
    Don't let them change you inside, cause anyone who matters will try to understand who you are.

When you always stay in self-incarceration...I think it's such a shame.

I made a pilgrimage to save this human race, never comprehending the race was long gone by.

Sadly, my team lost today (Tennessee). Though we were expected to lose and played a damn good game compared to the last time we played auburn. Auburn should be nation champions this year in my opinion and it's really sad they're not getting their chance to prove it.

GO LONGHORNS...
    Only thing worse than failure is not trying

Originally posted by Foxy11@Dec 4 2004, 03:25 PM
    GO HOKIES!!!!

ACC CHAMPIONS!!
    WOOOHOOO. GO HOKIES!!!
    "People are born originals, but most die copies"

Go....TO the BATHROOOM!

Wait....what are we chanting about again?
    I do not suppose I shall be remembered for anything. But I don't think about my work in those terms. It is just as vulgar to work for the sake of posterity as to work for the sake of money.

Orson Welles

Auburn is going to brutally kill ya'll.

No, seriously. Auburn is going to totally embarass the Hokies like they never should have been given the privilege to pick up a football.

Here's an idea, everybody pick your predictions in the order listed of who's going to win the bowl games (only certiain ones listed)

01. USC vs Oklahoma - Orange Bowl - Oklahoma
    02. Virginia Tech vs Auburn - Sugar Bowl - Auburn
    03. Utah vs Pittsburgh - Fiesta Bowl - Utah
    04. Michigan vs Texas - Rose Bowl - Texas
    05. Iowa vs LSU - Capitol One Bowl - Iowa
    06. Florida State vs West Virginia - FSU
    07. Texas A&M vs Tennessee - Cotton Bowl - Tennessee
    08. Wisconsin vs Georgia - Outback Bowl - Wisconsin
    09. Miami vs Florida - Peach Bowl - Miami
    10. Louisville vs. Boise State - Liberty Bowl - Boise State

Now post yours.

Dammit, I can't stand it...what the hell is a Hokie?
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Damn that's a good question, lol

I looked it up and it said it was originally in a verse from a poem as "Hoki" and then an E was added to the end and it somehow became related to some type of bird. A "HokieBird."

Originally posted by Cozymandias@Dec 6 2004, 07:32 PM
    Must be some foreign language for "traitor."
    I love the summer months!

Originally posted by Louis85+Dec 7 2004, 03:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Louis85 @ Dec 7 2004, 03:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cozymandias@Dec 6 2004, 07:32 PM
    Must be some foreign language for "traitor." [/b][/quote]
    :bowlaugh: :bowlaugh: :bowlaugh: :bowlaugh: :bowlaugh:
    Alright
    Yeah...

Lucky Bastards this marks the second time in 12 years that florida state was not the acc champion.

do you know thast va tech was selected to go 8th in the league?

Crazy stuff.
    I have found peace so let it continue......

And it may be a while before they win the ACC again. Va Tech and Miami will most likely dominate the ACC. State finally has some competition in that conference in football.

(oh and don't sleep the Boston College Eagles next year too. :kekeke: )

And anyone stupid enough to place Va Tech 8th in the ACC this year hasn't watch much college football. They run an impressive football program.

Originally posted by Louis85@Dec 7 2004, 03:43 PM

:nana:

Here is the answer to that oft-posed question, "What's a Hokie?" and an explanation of other Tech traditions.

What is a Hokie? The origin of the word "Hokie" has nothing to do with a turkey. It was coined by O. M. Stull (class of 1896), who used it in a spirit yell he wrote for a competition.

Here's how that competition came to be held. Virginia Tech was founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution and was named Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College. In 1896, the Virginia General Assembly officially changed the college's name to Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute, a name so long that citizens shortened it in popular usage to VPI. The original college cheer, which made reference to the original name of the institution, was no longer suitable. Thus, a contest was held to select a new spirit yell, and Stull won the $5 top prize for his cheer, now known as Old Hokie:

Hoki, Hoki, Hoki, Hy.
    Tech, Tech, V.P.I.
    Sola-Rex, Sola-Rah.
    Polytech - Vir-gin-ia.
    Rae, Ri, V.P.I.

Later, the phrase "Team! Team! Team!" was added at the end, and an "e" was added to "Hoki."

Stull later said that he made up the word as an attention-grabber. Though he may not have known it, "Hokie" (in its various forms) has been around at least since 1842. According to Johann Norstedt, now a retired Virginia Tech English professor, "[Hokie was] a word that people used to express feeling, approval, excitement, surprise. Hokie, then, is a word like 'hooray,' or 'yeah,' or 'rah.'" Whatever its original meaning, the word in the popular cheer did, as Stull wanted, grab attention and has been a part of Virginia Tech tradition ever since.
    Don't let them change you inside, cause anyone who matters will try to understand who you are.

I made a pilgrimage to save this human race, never comprehending the race was long gone by.

That's great Foxy. :bowlaugh:

Funny, the way we have always used the word hokie was as a synonym to "corny" or "hick", as in "that was some hokie shit"!
    Alright
    Yeah...

I fear I cursed my beloved Hokies this year, or else we'd have had an even better season. Last year every single game I watched in person, on television, or even listened to on the radio, we lost. I chalked it up to some seriously bad luck (and an incredibly terrible season) and got tickets to this season's opener against the defending national champion Trojans (tee-hee) from Southern Cal. Watched as Tech gave up a late lead and ended the game with a loss (technically giving them the worst record in college football at the time since no other teams had played).

The next two laughers against Western Michigan and Duke weren't televised in my area, so the next game I got to watch was the N.C. State game. My cousin called me up, told me he had an extra ticket to the game, and away I went. And again I watched as my guys in orange and maroon missed the game winning field goal with no time on the clock to send them to 2-2 on the year. All of a sudden those pundits who picked us to finish 8th in the ACC were looking like geniuses.

And I had still not personally experienced a Hokie victory in two seasons.

I decided right then and there that I would not watch/go to/listen to another game for the rest of the season for fear that I'd jinx them straight into the MAC or some other lowly conference by season's end. The next week they pulled out a big win against West Virginia, and I felt like my plan was a good one.

The week after that, we played Wake Forest. I had no intention of watching the game, but as I flipped through the channels that morning I accidentally turned it to the station that the game was on. I watched ONE PLAY, and it just so happened that the Demon Deacons scored and brought themselves to within three points of Tech. I knew I had already cursed them and they were doomed to lose, so I settled in for what I figured would be another heart breaking loss...

...and watched as Wake threw three incomplete passes from Tech's 5 yard line to lose the game in the closing seconds. My curse was over, and the Hokies have gone on to earn a shot at playing the (arguably) top team in college football. I think most people aren't giving us much of a shot, but my thoughts are that if Tennessee can hang with them, then we'll at least give 'em a run!

Go Hokies!

I ain't your sucka baby.. The_Kay_Dee's Avatar

Originally posted by Foxy11+Dec 9 2004, 01:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Foxy11 @ Dec 9 2004, 01:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Louis85@Dec 7 2004, 03:43 PM

:nana:

Here is the answer to that oft-posed question, "What's a Hokie?" and an explanation of other Tech traditions.

What is a Hokie? The origin of the word "Hokie" has nothing to do with a turkey. It was coined by O. M. Stull (class of 1896), who used it in a spirit yell he wrote for a competition.

Here's how that competition came to be held. Virginia Tech was founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution and was named Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College. In 1896, the Virginia General Assembly officially changed the college's name to Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute, a name so long that citizens shortened it in popular usage to VPI. The original college cheer, which made reference to the original name of the institution, was no longer suitable. Thus, a contest was held to select a new spirit yell, and Stull won the $5 top prize for his cheer, now known as Old Hokie:

Hoki, Hoki, Hoki, Hy.
    Tech, Tech, V.P.I.
    Sola-Rex, Sola-Rah.
    Polytech - Vir-gin-ia.
    Rae, Ri, V.P.I.

Later, the phrase "Team! Team! Team!" was added at the end, and an "e" was added to "Hoki."

Stull later said that he made up the word as an attention-grabber. Though he may not have known it, "Hokie" (in its various forms) has been around at least since 1842. According to Johann Norstedt, now a retired Virginia Tech English professor, "[Hokie was] a word that people used to express feeling, approval, excitement, surprise. Hokie, then, is a word like 'hooray,' or 'yeah,' or 'rah.'" Whatever its original meaning, the word in the popular cheer did, as Stull wanted, grab attention and has been a part of Virginia Tech tradition ever since. [/b][/quote]
    Well I'm from colorado. We use the word "Hokie" to describe
    things that are "Cheesy" Like " That magic trick was hokie." or
    "the home made paint job on that subaru is HOKIE....)
    hnoes: hnoes: hnoes:

:kidding:
    A man is where he loves, not where he lives....

Originally posted by Champagne@Dec 9 2004, 08:13 PM
    I fear I cursed my beloved Hokies this year, or else we'd have had an even better season. Last year every single game I watched in person, on television, or even listened to on the radio, we lost. I chalked it up to some seriously bad luck (and an incredibly terrible season) and got tickets to this season's opener against the defending national champion Trojans (tee-hee) from Southern Cal. Watched as Tech gave up a late lead and ended the game with a loss (technically giving them the worst record in college football at the time since no other teams had played).

The next two laughers against Western Michigan and Duke weren't televised in my area, so the next game I got to watch was the N.C. State game. My cousin called me up, told me he had an extra ticket to the game, and away I went. And again I watched as my guys in orange and maroon missed the game winning field goal with no time on the clock to send them to 2-2 on the year. All of a sudden those pundits who picked us to finish 8th in the ACC were looking like geniuses.

And I had still not personally experienced a Hokie victory in two seasons.

I decided right then and there that I would not watch/go to/listen to another game for the rest of the season for fear that I'd jinx them straight into the MAC or some other lowly conference by season's end. The next week they pulled out a big win against West Virginia, and I felt like my plan was a good one.

The week after that, we played Wake Forest. I had no intention of watching the game, but as I flipped through the channels that morning I accidentally turned it to the station that the game was on. I watched ONE PLAY, and it just so happened that the Demon Deacons scored and brought themselves to within three points of Tech. I knew I had already cursed them and they were doomed to lose, so I settled in for what I figured would be another heart breaking loss...

...and watched as Wake threw three incomplete passes from Tech's 5 yard line to lose the game in the closing seconds. My curse was over, and the Hokies have gone on to earn a shot at playing the (arguably) top team in college football. I think most people aren't giving us much of a shot, but my thoughts are that if Tennessee can hang with them, then we'll at least give 'em a run!

Go Hokies!
    Hokie fans united!!! eace:

Did you go to VA TECH??

Yup yup, graduated in 2002. Did you go there, too?

Oh yeah kid!!!

The university so nice...Foxy graduated twice

B.A. 1997

M.A. 1999

If Tech had a law school I'd still be there right now :roll:

+ Reply to Thread