+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just got back from N'awlins

I was on a work trip from Monday to Thursday in New Orleans, or as the locals call it "N'awlins". Quite the interesting place. Had a good time, but I'm glad to be back home.

Anyways, I wanted to share something with all, y'all here. First off, read the whole paragraph before jumping to conclusions. I'm white, for those who didn't know that already (hey, I haven't met everyone here yet). During the conference we had several catered meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner x 3 days) serving about 2200 people every meal. That's a lot of people, which required a lot of servers. The thing that bothered me was that every single server that I saw in there was black. Every single one. Not that there's anything wrong with that (because *obviously* there isn't), but it just felt wrong to me. Like stuff like this wasn't supposed to happen any more. It was a job for these people, not like they were slaves or anything, but it just felt wrong. It could be that there just aren't very many white people that far to the south, or a bazillion other mitigating circumstances, I don't know. I just left feeling sad about that.

My two cents, anyways.

there we go, just right. keep walking...

I'm not gonna jump on your back Harm, even though it is appealing but I'd rather give my 2 cents... I'm in Texas I go to McDonalds and there is nothing but hispanics not that there's anything wrong with that just for the pupose of this reply.... I went to N'awlins a few months back I went to Mickey D's and it was nothing but black people, went downtown nothing but blacks I felt very good about that!! I am black... just fo da record!!

So Harm all I'm say'n is that your mentatlity is what we complain about it's not your fault you feel that way... recognize it and change that! just be happy those people have jobs and not rob'n yo ass!! N'awlins is a majority black city!!
    Now seeeing how you felt there, now, if you go to a job interview and walk past the current employees and you see a majority of them are white people there, being black... knowing that the population doesn't look like this... Now Harm! We feel like that isn't right!! Same with college campus'!! Same with alot of other shit!! Just feel us, feel good that we are employed and try'n to do the right thing!!

Much Love to ya, Brother!!
    Only thing worse than failure is not trying

You got me a little wrong, there, chuck, but I didn't explain very well other mitigating circumstances either. That's OK, though, I forgive you Let me try to explain a little better. I went out and walked around, and saw lots of different kinds of people, although darker colored skin was most definately prevalent. The thing that I felt uncomfortable with was not the fact that their skin was a different color than mine. I was uncomfortable with the reminder of slavery in general (I just finished studying that part of american history for a class). It was a reminder to me of days gone past when people thought that this kind of thing was ok: Black people dressed in tuxedos catering to the needs of the white minority. That was the part I found disturbing, not the fact that they were working. The fact that they were black just brought the stuff I had studied for school about slavery to the forefront of my mind and I was uncomfortable with that. With the fact that one people used to think it was ok to suppress another people for whatever cause.

I guess I just didn't articulate that very will in my first post.

I think I understood , Harm! I wasn't try'n to get on you!! I love everybody in this forum, yes, even WINO!! HA! It just seems messed up to me that when you see a bunch of black people having a job serving you, you think of slavery!! I understand it just brought up something you were study'n in class but to a BLACK PERSON it's not a course subject it's life... And there are people who wtill think like that that are in positions of power to dictate whether or not a person of different color skin will get that job or not. I was just speaking on another level!! Yea, that is messed up that we have people then and now that think/thought that was our place!! I was just say'n to you that it's great we have a "choice" to do those things or not!

Remember Harm there are people out there that still think that way and not afraid to let us know they feel that way. How fukkkkked up that it, those arent the ones to worry about. The ones to worry about are the ones who feel that way and don't let it be know and do shit on the slide whilst smiling or grinning in your face (Bush) and have power!!! I'm with you Harm, much love to ya, Brotha!!

Intelligent Posts :11

so what your telling me chuk is that you really do like mermaids when they are caught with dolphins in tuna nets...interesting...very interesting....

Originally posted by Dr. Johny Fever@Nov 5 2004, 01:35 PM
    so what your telling me chuk is that you really do like mermaids when they are caught with dolphins in tuna nets...interesting...very interesting....
    :rofl:

Only if the tuna nets are made with hemp rope!!

If and when I see things like that I think of slavery too.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Warrior of Love Rumi_Philosophie's Avatar

Harmeister I actually see your point. Low wage labor is exploitation period and therefore with the exception of backwoods diners you won't see any or very few white people working low wage jobs like that. That is the reality.

Yeah, rumi, that's kinda what I was getting at.

btw, like Coz said earlier, you gotta use a different font color. That one is impossible to read with the default board settings (yes, I know you can change them, I like the default)

Originally posted by Venus Flytrap@Nov 5 2004, 01:48 PM
    mermaids caught in tuna nets with hemp rope?! :tinker:
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

Originally posted by syxxpm+Nov 5 2004, 01:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (syxxpm @ Nov 5 2004, 01:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Venus Flytrap@Nov 5 2004, 01:48 PM
    mermaids caught in tuna nets with hemp rope?! :tinker: [/b][/quote]
    :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wouldn’t this be more inclined for the area, being "although darker colored skin was most definitely prevalent" then you are going to see more of the majority doing most of the things? Say here for example we have the same type jobs here (servers) in a mostly white town. But a growing population of others. I see the mix about the same mostly white and a few other skins. So isn’t it just relevant? If you was to have a convention at our convention center here you would get all whites and a few other skins.
    it maybe just me that thinks this but who knows! I have allways been taught people matter not skin so race is the one of the things i think of last.
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

Warrior of Love Rumi_Philosophie's Avatar

You are not American Society,which thinks much differently.Race does factor in in American Society

skins.....damnit..just reminded me i havent met my scalping quota for the month...

Originally posted by eternals layre@Nov 5 2004, 04:34 PM
    I have allways been taught people matter not skin so race is the one of the things i think of last.
    And being white in a mostly white town it's easy for you to think that way. Some of us have to deal with other sorts of realities.
    Alright
    Yeah...

yea..like getting old and not being able to rap........

Originally posted by Dr. Johny Fever@Nov 5 2004, 04:49 PM
    yea..like getting old and not being able to rap........
    I'm still not too old to hand you a good old fashioned ass whuppin ya old red necked bastid! :nana:
    Alright
    Yeah...

are you coming on to me coz....cuz you need to tell yvette first.....its only fair..

Originally posted by Dr. Johny Fever@Nov 5 2004, 05:02 PM
    are you coming on to me coz....cuz you need to tell yvette first.....its only fair..
    EEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Now I'm totally disgusted!
    Alright
    Yeah...

sing with me coz...." Kumbya my Lord...Kumbyaaaaaaa....Kumbya my Lord......Kumbyaaaaa"

+ Reply to Thread