+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Someone Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

All right we are all music fans here soooooo............

Here is the situation:

I just bought a casio wk 3500 keyboard a couple of days ago. There purpose for me to buy this was wo learn how to play it but also to make hip hop beats. I know at some point I need to buy a drum machine to make the beats better..........but I have talked to many many many keyboardists around the Atl and they have said there has got to be a way to loop the beat within the keyboard. This keyboard aint old. The model is at least a year old. It has a disk drive and everything to record your music onto a floppy and pop it into the computer. 6 track recording and I am frustrated in trying to KNOW HOW TO RECORD A SONG.

WHAT EQUIPMENT DO YOU NEED IN ORDER TO RECORD A FULL SONG........(no vocals at the time...just the beats)

can someone help. I really don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a drum machine.......people keep feeding MPC as a the drum machine I MUST buy. We have plenty of stores around the area for cheaper prices but I do not want to spend money before I know what to buy.

Be.......COZ???.........Amta....Hero........anyone who makes beats......
    I have found peace so let it continue......

I have tried to read the manual and I am not amusic major.....so I really don't know what some things are......like a BANK??????? or STEP RECORDING.........I know that you can layer MELODIES........But it doesn't even mention layering percussion. ALSo.....once you record something.......it starts back with the first measure and you can't record where you left off.
    I have found peace so let it continue......

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

Alright, I'll take a stab at this, although I don't have that exact model keyboard.

Step recording: should work with drum sounds as well, I'm guessing your keyboard has a setting that turns each key into a drum sound. Use that setting with step recording, although it's a very tedious process. You'll basically add each beat, piece by piece, and add in the "rests", and define "half notes, quarter notes, etc" manually. It's a pain in the ass, if you ask me.

The mpc is a tight piece of equipment.

However, I'm poor, I use software for beatmaking. I started with Hammerhead, quickly graduated to Fruityloops Pro (I still have FL v2.11 ... i hate the newer versions), and now am experimenting with Reason. I highly recommend it, although FL v2.11 is still king. Ask 5 people about it, and you'll get 5 different answers, and it doesn't have much of a reputation, but really, you can take it much further than the manual says. Hell, it even states that it is "not for composing full songs, only for making loops" but I've been using it to construct drum tracks for years. FL 2.11 + Adobe Audition 1.5 (formerly called "Cooledit Pro 2.1") are a great pair to have. I'm getting high speed cable tomorrow and will gladly hook you up with full versions of these two if you like.

I'd love to see what Be and Coz would say about all this....
    Keep your headphones on.

+ Reply to Thread