+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wilco's New Studio CD. (2004 with new book)

Review of Wilco's new CD! 2004 New Studio Album with New Book!

1 Pure Bug Beauty This is a 7min instrumental that starts out atmopsheric and slow. Its very pleasing and mellow. There are some of the same sounds and instruments used for Company in My Back on A Ghost Is Born. I really enjoyed this to start out a disk of theirs.. lots of noises and dark piano are going through this song. The beat picks up a little and its very experimental.. definantly creates an atmosphere for you.. like being outside in a an empty forest.. the piano is somewhat inspiring, the kindof melody that would keep you going.
    2 This Is New Another atmopsheric sounding song.. Interesting melody that creates. the instrumentation and sounds remind me of an image that is distant in fog, but as it clears..a wonderful thing appears in front of you. The acoustical guitar brings a organic sound and the distant sounding noises that remind me of a fire or someone walking in sticks.. His voice appears without reverb, but the reverb suddenly comes into play. This song has a Yankee Hotel Foxtrot production quality. The production of the instrumentation and vocals have a building quality that wilco brings best to their albums.
    3 Diamond Claw Beautiful guitar and piano song. Almost has that classic Jim O'Rourke sound, but the style of the piano is much more intelligent sounding. This ballad like song is another instrumental. beautiful
    4 This Is New (the explanation)Another take on track number two. Harder drum sound that introduces the song.. he is singing in the distance (picturing that fog again) a lot of things disapearing in the song, and reapearing in sounds. the song end and suddenly it feels your in a new part of the woods.. where things are broken but at ease..
    5 What Good am I Short acoustic number.. sounds like a home demo.. the only song that sounds out of place actually.
    6 Here Comes Everybody got a shaky salsa feel from the drums at first.. Instrumental that builds and builds.. semi-fast pace with different sounding drums and guitar patters.. it ends abruptly with overwhelming sounds..
    7 Hummingbird Soma Version a Totally new take on the song from A Ghost Is Born. One of the best songs on the album. its got a punk feel, but the production recalls Yankee Hotal Foxtrot.. simply because the melody is hidden and it takes repeated listens to find the beauty like a lost treasure.. its got a kick drum sound to it.. its an upbeat track that has mystery to it. His vocals are great. Amazing song with great lyrics
    8 The High Heat Another classic Wilco song.. very warm sounding, drum beat is pretty neat sounding, has a very impressive sounding melody.. this should have been on A Ghost is born. The piano playing keeps the melody alive.
    9 Doubt Another short instrumental that recalls images flashing in your mind.. noises and sound.. almost like a bad trip. the ending sounds like someone is looking for something to escape with..
    10 Barnyard Pimp Very bluesy rockish instrumental.. Reminds me of Paul McCartney's album Big Barn Red (i think thats the title) Electronic sounding drum that totally makes the song well worth interesting.. the improv sounding guitar riffs and just sounding like a backporch jam session lighten up the entire album.
    11 Rottnest Short instrument that sounds like u woke back up in that place u were unsure of.. piano playin from a distance while windy sounds/satellites are ringing in your ears.. pleasently suprised.
    12 Hamami Sounds.. sounds of things dropping, being made in a barn or something.. Not really a song.. just more of an outro than anything..

Four Stars

Once again, another Wilco album leaving me suprised. This album is much like a collection of songs, but the more I listen to it.. the noises and instrumentation draw a theme.
    -TheXodus-

Hey SDlL....Did you ever pick up the Loose Fur album? That was also quite good. It's not Wilco but it's at least two guys from it (Tweedy and the drummer for sure)

I had to edit A GHOST is BORN. Too much O'Rourke noise CRAP going on. Great tunes tho. I still could've handled it and enjoyed it unedited but My version just took out some of the waaaaaay to far droning on-and-on parts. I thought O'Rourke used noise well in Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I thought in Ghost it was just useless noise. Could be just me.....
    I do not suppose I shall be remembered for anything. But I don't think about my work in those terms. It is just as vulgar to work for the sake of posterity as to work for the sake of money.

Orson Welles

Originally posted by LumtheMad@Oct 9 2004, 03:17 AM
    Hey SDlL....Did you ever pick up the Loose Fur album? That was also quite good. It's not Wilco but it's at least two guys from it (Tweedy and the drummer for sure)

I had to edit A GHOST is BORN. Too much O'Rourke noise CRAP going on. Great tunes tho. I still could've handled it and enjoyed it unedited but My version just took out some of the waaaaaay to far droning on-and-on parts. I thought O'Rourke used noise well in Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I thought in Ghost it was just useless noise. Could be just me.....
    The only useless noise I heard was that damn 15 min song.. that was too much..

Loose fur is great..

Hook up wiht me on soulseek and i'll give u the Book cd that just came out.. its great...
    -TheXodus-

I guess my issues with it was it didn't make the songs better. I thought there were at least like 5 songs or so which had too many "rock out noise guitar parts. For a band like Wilco who does melody so damn well it took away from the music in this case. I did work on Being There and on YHF.

If i can figure out that fancy ole soul seek i'm looking ya up!
    I do not suppose I shall be remembered for anything. But I don't think about my work in those terms. It is just as vulgar to work for the sake of posterity as to work for the sake of money.

Orson Welles

Originally posted by LumtheMad@Oct 10 2004, 02:10 PM
    I guess my issues with it was it didn't make the songs better. I thought there were at least like 5 songs or so which had too many "rock out noise guitar parts. For a band like Wilco who does melody so damn well it took away from the music in this case. I did work on Being There and on YHF.

If i can figure out that fancy ole soul seek i'm looking ya up!
    www.slsknet.org

my screen is sdldawn

de-lish!
    -TheXodus-

+ Reply to Thread