+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who's down for creating a music news site?

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

The topic has been raised in another thread about a bunch of us getting together to put somethin together. Hax pointed out we have programmers, designers and music nuts here .... and he's damn sure got the hosting handled ....

let's make this happen!

Chat date for further discussions?
    Keep your headphones on.

Woohoo Sticky'd.

Ideas I have:

A weekly update on new releases.

Special PM Dawn Section .. "The Road To Jim Sullivan"

A section on bootlegs? Not where to get them, no links etc. People in the know should know where to find them anyway. No PM Dawn mp3s, please.

How about... a point/counterpoint section where each week we take an album, new or old, and have a debate between two people about it, could be fun

Reviews of new releases?

Trivia?

Classic track of the DAY to add to your ipod or whatever...

More?
    Keep your headphones on.

Well I'm all for it, except in order to review a new artist or album that would require time and money. Time isn't that big of a deal but getting enough reviews and stuff together would be rather costly. I know we all like different types of music but we all stem off of the same thing (hence being here) so we'd have to make sure we spread out into things we don't normally listen to, cuz not everyone can review Rap or Pop, but I ain't doing country..heh.
    Something is neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so.

I'll help wherever poss
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

I'm sure you guys realize this isn't an easy task to pull off...

we need to offer people something that hasn't already been done, also you need to think about generating money off of it at some point or you'll end up with something that grows into a money eating monster and it goes from a weekend hobby to big bills.

I'm not much for writing reviews and stuff but I can make it all work, anything from a simple blog to a database cluster. If you can figure out how to break even to cover the costs we can go as far as offering a music download serivce for upcoming arists/underground, etc... stuff that's legal to release like that.

if this keeps going put together a team, we'll setup a private forum to talk about it and start putting the pieces of it together.

"we need to offer people something that hasn't already been done, also you need to think about generating money off of it at some point"

both excellent points. i don't think this idea is going to go anywhere tho.
    Keep your headphones on.

I'm definitely into writing reviews and searching for info on bands, etc. I'd be willing to help quite a bit.

OK it doesn't look like this is going far so I'll throw some fuel on the fire...

we can get a domain name in like 5 mins, just needs to be something good

we can install a content management system to have an "instant site", on my hosting server I can click a few things and have a site online in 2 mins

it doesn't have to be hard core to begin with...shit if you guys just want to get on there and post about music and write reviews an stuff it might just catch on.

I'll fund the domain name and hosting if you guys come up with a good domain name and are willing to work on it...

if you want to draw attention from time to time I have music streaming software already loaded on the server

+ Reply to Thread