+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bjork CD out next Tuesday

Just in case there are any other Bjork fans in our little universe, her new album Medulla comes out next tuesday. Ooooo, the suspense is killing me! hnoes:
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

nice, I might have to check that out. Let me know what you think when you hear it
    fullamyself, sickamyself, truetamyself

I will always be myself - through the good times and the bad.

AH yes! I am officially getting excited! Here's a little teaser from Amazon.com as well...

Normally, an artist such as Bjork with a mass audience across the globe steadily eases off as the back-catalog starts to grow. However, Medulla, the fifth proper studio album from Bjork is without a doubt the most challenging collection of music she has ever released.

For the most part, the album is made up of layers upon layers of processed vocal parts arranged in either harmony or dissonance such as "Vokuro" and "Oll Birtan," respectively. Some, such as "Show Me Forgiveness" are simple acapella, the aforementioned sounding like a vocal cut from
    Debut minus the music. Another echo of Bjork days gone by is "Desired Constellation," a slow trancy pulse underpinning her distinct vocals. "Where Is the Line," "Who Is It," and "Triumph of a Heart" are a bit grimier with a semi-urban twist, the latter a fantastically funky beatbox number with an outstanding introduction, the closest moment to a pop song appearing on Medulla.

Although traditional instruments and breaks have been removed from this album, Medulla is no great departure for Bjork but in a sense it is radically different from any of her previous work. Some will love it, some hate it, and some just won't be sure what to think. --David Trueman

Album Description
    Bjork is one of the most recognized stars in the world. She has sold millions of copies of her groundbreaking albums, she is an icon of cutting edge style, and she has received worldwide acclaim as an actress. Medulla, Bjork's first new studio album in three years, finds her delving deeper than ever before into her haunting and exhilarating sound and vision. Innovative as always, Bjork has this time built the songs on Medulla entirely from vocal tracks, with no instruments appearing on the album, creating a soundscape unlike anything you've ever heard before. Special guests include Rahzel from The Roots, Mike Patton of Faith No More and Mr. Bungle, an Inuit throat singer, an Icelandic choir, the world's greatest human beatboxes and more.
    I do not suppose I shall be remembered for anything. But I don't think about my work in those terms. It is just as vulgar to work for the sake of posterity as to work for the sake of money.

Orson Welles

Hmmm... I have the album now and I guess for the time being I'll have to say it's "interesting" and "challenging". Coupla songs definitely stand out, but I haven't really decided if I like the album as a whole yet...

Anyone else have any thoughts?
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

+ Reply to Thread