+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For Prince Be

Be:

(this is long, I hope you don't mind)

I've been a fan for like ever, ever since I was a kid in college. Had a chance to meet you around Halloween back in 1998 in Tampa at a CD signing, which was a great experience for me.

When "Dearest Christian" came out around then, I really REALLY enjoyed it. I was surprised that sales weren't better, because a lot of the songs on there really touched me deeply. "Faith in You" was my absolute favorite, and even though I was a single guy at the time and still pretty unsure about my future and all that crap, I felt like I could relate to the message you were sending out. I always felt a beautiful sadness when I heard that song.

Flash forward six years now... I'm married, and have a big (emphasis on big) healthy baby boy myself. It had been a while since I'd listened to any of your music, honestly. Hell, getting 4 hours of sleep was a challenge for a while, never mind having a few moments to chill with a CD. Anyway, the other day I'm taking my boy in to day care, he's chatting it up in the back seat, just fascinated with the world and everything around him, smiling and laughing. I'm having a typical dad moment... his sheer innocence and the newness of everything to him just makes me hurt inside, but in a good way, you know?

Then, "Faith in You" came on the radio. And it just dawned on me that that song pretty much summed up everything I was feeling right then and there in that moment. I used to feel like I connected with the message, but the message connected with ME then, you know? It's like I knew what I would feel NOW back in 98, only I didn't know HOW intense I'd feel it. I guess most parents who are totally smitten with their kids feel, but hearing that song again while riding with Calvin was just one of those moments. I don't know if I could even explain it to you, but I think you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I went home that night inspired. I sat at my computer for a few hours and threw together a video collage for him for his First birthday, which is in about a month.

I hope you don't mind, but I used "Faith in You" as the backing for the video. I'm not intending to sell or distribute this in any way, it's just a song that really meant a lot to me then and now. I've burned a DVD, and the disc is going to be a gift to my wife for everything she's done over the past year.

If you care to take a peek, the video is at the following website:

http://www.calvinjohn.com/calmedium.wmv (DSL/Cable)
    http://www.calvinjohn.com/callow.wmv (Dial Up)

I don't know what you use to connect to the net, so I made two versions of it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for making your music and I hope you don't mind me using the song. I really don't know what else to tell you to thank you, so I'll cut it off here.

Oh, and try and get back down here to do a show down here in Tampa sometime soon.

Many thanks,

Matt

Your message was really wonderful. Faith In You is probably my most favorite PM Dawn song. I don't have kids, but sometimes I like to think of the song as God singing to mankind, I believe we all can save this world. Anyways I'm sure your wife and son will truly be touched by your gift. Be blessed.

Tonya :wavey:
    Don't let them change you inside, cause anyone who matters will try to understand who you are.

When you always stay in self-incarceration...I think it's such a shame.

I made a pilgrimage to save this human race, never comprehending the race was long gone by.

nice story man
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

Very cool story and (I hope you don't mind that I watched it too) nice video. I'm sure your family will love it.
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

Originally posted by ChrisLDog@Jul 4 2004, 01:04 AM
    Very cool story and (I hope you don't mind that I watched it too) nice video. I'm sure your family will love it.
    Nope, I don't mind at all. I'm glad you liked it. I've probably watched it 100 times since I made it and I still get choked up watching it.

great story
    IF YOU CANT BEAT THEM, AVOID THEM FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Classy Justify, very classy...
    I love the summer months!

I ain't your sucka baby.. The_Kay_Dee's Avatar

This is a wonderful sentiment.
    A man is where he loves, not where he lives....

+ Reply to Thread