+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4 tha maturer fans and the musically knowledgable

have u heard a song at some point, a song that people were ravin about and thought.. thats clearly a rip off of "insert classic song name here" ....
    or, just thought , that artist is giving more than just a nod to "insert classic artist name here"

Lauryn Hill/Fugees -- "Killing me softly"

(Sorry, Robert Flack's songs are sacred to me. I don't really want anyone singing them but her. Although I had to admit she did a half way decent job on her version of the classic.)
    I love the summer months!

I love her version.

But I mean, that was a cover, too. It's not like she was copying her style and trying to mask it. Covers are just covers.... :donno:

The Vanessa Carlton vocals in "Big Yellow Taxi" (by Counting Crows) are a blatant rip off of Janet Jackson's "Runaway" vocals. IMHO. And although this sounds harsh, I say this with a smile on my face, w/o malice. :wink:

Stabbing Westward sounds like NIN, and Chevelle and Earshot (sp?) sound like Tool.

Elizabeth

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

I could go on this topic for hours, but the first thing that came to my mind is

"It Don't Matter" by Rehab = "Santeria" by Sublime
    Keep your headphones on.

Chevelle doesn't sound like tool at all. That guy makes simple chords sound amazing, and tool uses complex chord structures and makes it sound really amazing.

Earshot is a blatant ripoff, however.

And Vanessa Carlton probably had nothing to do with the way she sung that song from what I've heard about Counting Crow's nit-picking in the studio.

But yeah, how about:
    Fuel - Falls On Me and
    Collective Soul - Heavy

I guess I'm only thinking of the song and video for ... "Mia", I think it was?

And damn straight, I hope Counting Crows nit picks. Adam rocks. Not that Vanessa doesn't have skill, but I am still very surprised at that pairing...

Elizabeth

Alicia Keys - Lovin' U is Easy
    (i do love her though)

and Mariah Carey's - Vanishing, from her good days

the intros to both are practically the same

yeah Adam does rock. I love Big Yellow Taxi, great cover but I think i'm not the only one who saw that cover coming a mile away.

I want to see them live, I've heard they're amazing.

On the corner of Grey Street and at the end of the world

Funny you've brought this supbject up Ether. Everythime I here Dwele's "Find a way. " I can't help but sing Chuckii Booker's "Why you wanna play your games on me". And Gerald Levert bit everyone from Baby face to Jodeci. The chorus for his song "School me", was taken from Baby face''s "Whip Appeal". and the bridge to his song "Think about it" was taken from Jodeci's "Cry for you". And Ashanti. Whenever I hear "Rain on me", I have this strange feeling that somewhere Ja Rule is gonna bust out and scream "MURDAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    If it's my world too, then whose gold is this I'm digging out

yeah Adam does rock. I love Big Yellow Taxi, great cover but I think i'm not the only one who saw that cover coming a mile away.

I want to see them live, I've heard they're amazing.
    Indeed, I've seen them twice and they put on a hell of a show. The only complaint I would have is that sometimes they don't play their older songs the way they do on the album. It's fine for me since I've heard all their songs so often, but if I take my fiance or other people who aren't as familiar with them, they can't even sing along to the songs they know. :donno:

But I still love the songs either way they play them.
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

Yeah, Alicia and Ashanti are not my "faves".

Chris, the reason they redo the older songs is because Adam changes how he feels about things. It makes it harder for you and I to sing along, but I can dig his honesty... and his artistic license or whatnot.

love
    Elizabeth

I hear ya Elizabeth. It must be hard to do the same songs over and over the same way, too. I can understand how someone would want to spice it up a bit.
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

+ Reply to Thread