+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: iF You Havent heard this Song then....

iF You Havent heard this Song then....your knowledge of music has a hole in it ...

INSERT song name !!! and if need be state why this song is significant/unique/historical...
    (but this dont include songs people feel like putting in cause its a b-side they like from their favourite artist!)

to set the ball rolling .....

The Beegees , Stayin Alive ....
    this track cemented the beegees association with disco !! and despite their vast catalogue of music continues to characterise them to people worldwide...

What's Goin' On - Marvin Gaye.

(A song way ahead of its time.)

Louis
    I love the summer months!

the man who sold the world-davidbowie.....the title track to the album in which bowie fans agree he finally found himself musically
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

OK, I agree COMPLETELY with both Ether and Louis on this...I would also add that "What's Goin On" was not only way ahead of it's time, it was also exactly perfect for it's time.

My problem with the criteria is, however, is that we should at least in these 2 cases be looking at the entire albums as a single entity. The Bee Gee's "Saturday Night Fever" not only cemented them with Disco, it launched Disco upon the mainstream! In short, it changed music, and thus changed the world. Marvin's classic album "What's Going On" was in perfect lockstep with the single...dealing with everything from Vietnam and the environment to the everyday struggles of the working class. Listen to this album from beginning to end and you are mentally and musically transported back to the early 70's. It is ABSOLUTELY 1 OF THE GREATEST ALBUMS EVER MADE!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

So, in keeping with the trend that they have set with these 2 essential albums, I am offering The Beatles' classic album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". This album not only represented a new direction in The Beatles' music, signifying their headlong dive into psychodellia, it helped to change the very idea of how music was created and recorded. 1 of the 1st multi-track albums to be released, it was arguably the 1st major released true "studio album", created solely with the studio in mind instead of the stage. Using intrically woven layers of music and sound, it opened the eyes of musicians worldwide to the possibillites attainable now in the studio. Now, if you could dream it, you could realize it...music would never be the same again! It also mixed the colors and helped to paint the picture of what most of us would remeber was the mid to late 60's.

Oh...and the album was AMAZING!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

This is a great topic, although somehow I feel as if my reasoning of my favorite is going to be way too infatile. That being said... Are we doing songs or albums? Did coz change the format? I guess I will give the song and cd :donno:

Dark side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    my favorite song and the best example of what this cd personifies is "Us and Them."
    Reason being: to me that is what a song is supposed to be overall. Music, lyrics and music+lyrics - all seperate with their own time to shine and they come together orgasmically (I wonder if I am being too over-the-top for effect?) The theme album, as you will read in a second is also a main reason, this song personifies the cd, ties it together, and beautifully conveys their abilities and accomplishments.

It was interesting coz, a review I read online said:

"The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" might have been the pioneer of the concept album, but Pink Floyd redefined and perfectioned it with this crowning achievement (its not a slight - just their opinion)...It's a work of art and one of the most important contributions to music in the 20th century. The proof of its impact is out there. 14 consecutive years in the charts and more than 35 million copies sold. It's an album for the senses, the mind, the heart and soul. Simply put, "Dark Side of the Moon" is the best album ever made."

I couldn't have said it better, so I didn't try. I will check out - or re-examine all of the cd's and songs you all write on here, so keep 'em coming

Peace
    fullamyself, sickamyself, truetamyself

I will always be myself - through the good times and the bad.

Bllie Jean- Michael Jackson
    Wake me up at 9:45.

Hanson - MMMBop.....er.....

Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

Spidey and Elle, you guys gave no reasonings.

Scott, I agree completely! That album was 1 of the few that sprang to my mind immediately...I only chose Sgt. Pepper for the pioneering aspect.

I will say this though, while you are young you may indeed choose "Us And Them" (my wife's favorite also), but as you grow older, "Time" is gonna haunt the shit outta your ass! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, and racing around to come up behind you again."
    "The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of breath, and 1 day closer to death."

That shit is my fukkin life! :rofl:
    Alright
    Yeah...

The Beatles -White Album

cause ure silly if u think anyone can pick one song from an album like this.
    -TheXodus-

oh, i forgot we were supposed to tell why.

I just think that, of all the songs i've heard by more modern composers like john williams, samuel barber, philip glass, danny elfman, and the others that i can't remember, that is one of the greatest and most well-known one. It's cool, sad, used a lot, and most people who listen to that kind of music know about it.

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

ok whatever song or album , as long as its significant

Banned

i would have to say marvin gaye also... and then in rap i would say immortal technique - dance with the devil..this song is full of more twists in the last 30 seconds than the worlds largest frenchbread roll...or somehin..thats all im gonna say, download this song off of kazza
    but to add to the concept..a couple albums worth hearin out are marvin gaye here my dear, and enigma le roi est mort.. as far as m.g's album, it is a perfect album ofor any of us that have been in relationships, but especially those who have been married, with a rough split... the enigma album wont help you fall asleep, it will put you to sleep...oh, and not cause its bad...its just that chill and calm

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

shit, i'm on my way out the door, but i'll get in on this thread later. fun!
    Keep your headphones on.

This is a very broad topic, as I took it to literally mean "you should know of this song or you are not very knowledgeable of music in general"... there are huge huge lists I could create, and I don't think they need reasons since this topic seems simple and self-explanatory. Things like Stairway to Heaven, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Material Girl, and Oops I Did It Again pop up. Doesn't mean I think grand things of them, or want to list their significance in pop culture. But... if you've never heard these songs (among many others), your knowledge of music has a hole in it.

Elizabeth

Liz, to say its a broad topic , u just answered the topic question perfectly, except for stating the significance, e.g. oops i did it again, remembered as one of the main hits for this generations "pop princess" by some and remembered as the height of cringeworthyness by others!

"Ascension" by Mike Oldfield

"Firewater" by BT

"Ascension" by Mike Oldfield

"Firewater" by BT

Kosh posted it twice with no explanation on either! :rofl:
    Alright
    Yeah...

Kosh posted it twice with no explanation on either! :rofl:
    Alright
    Yeah...

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

LMAO

Anyway here's a few off the top of my head...

"Ohio/Machine Gun (live)" -- Isley Brothers, from the album Isleys Live
    There are few performances by anyone in music history that equal this one for sheer passion and feeling. Ronald sang the Shit outta this, and Ernie's guitar work just kills me. It's an experience I'll never tire of.

"Another Lonely Christmas (Long version)" -- Prince & The Revolution, from the b-side of the I Would Die 4 U 12 Inch Single.
    Another heart wrencher, but when I use that phrase I'm not speaking of things like "It's all coming back to me now" by Celine Dion. This is a total package, like the song I listed above. Just get it, but don't bother with the 7 inch edit, it's missing too much and the ending is chopped to hell.

"I Wanna Rock" -- DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, from the Code Red LP.
    There are few records that manage to celebrate old school hip hop while simultaniously transcending what it's celebrating. This is one. At face value it's another ode to Jeff's skills on the wheels, but when you add a live band behind Jeff, it's an instant classic. Not to mention that the bassist is rocking that classic Mary Jane Girls riff. The ending is dumb, but the first 6 mins or so will make your face fall off.

"Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" -- The White Stripes, from the album White Blood Cells
    Today Rock & Roll is being buried under 6 feet of GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Meanwhile, check out this song. It almost makes me forget that the 2000s are happening.

"Dilate" The album by Ani Difranco.
    When you listen to this, the simple reaction is to say "Alanis Ripoff" ... but remember: When Alanis was releasing Jagged little Pill, Ani was releasing this, her EIGHTH ALBUM. Plus Ani plays guitar and writes her own music.

"Dub Side of The Moon" The Album by Easy Star All-Stars.
    Where I come from, "Dark Side of the Moon" is a classic, but it's a played out classic. What if a dub-reggae band decided to remake the entire album in that dub style? Genius, and a must hear for anyone into Pink Floyd. And it's "Wizard of Oz" compatible too!

"Live at Cook County Jail" The Album by B.B. King
    Most people would choose "Live at the Regal" over this one, but this one has the classic epic "worry worry worry". If that don't do ya, find the live album BB did with Bobby "Blue" Bland.

"Walking With A panther" the CASSETTE by LL COOL J.
    LL's best album. It's the hip hop Sign Of The Times, at least for the late 80s. The cassette has the rare "Jack the Ripper" and other bonus tracks that aren't on the CD as well.

I'm tempted to post more but I don't want to bore y'all.
    Keep your headphones on.

+ Reply to Thread