+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what books do u all read?

Quote Originally Posted by wendyful04
    You mean you actually got homework over Christmas Break when you were in school?
    I thought it was just the crazy teachers at my school. My school is the #2 middle school in Miami-Dade, and one of the top 3 magnet middle schools (performing and visual arts) in the country, so the teachers and the parents are crazy competitive and sometimes, the kids beg me to give them homework assignments to write down in their agenda book so their parents won't get mad. I just tell them to write "read for 30 minutes".

It's like they actually want the kids to max out their stress levels and grow up to have a heart attack by age 28.

I do encourage reading, though. Since they all watch tv, I tell them to at least keep the captions on to improve their reading skills. Some of them actually look like they're in pain when they look at a book.

(BTW, I teach ESE classes.)

My son does not like reading either. Even though I read to him every night until he was about 7 and he sees me go through books like underwear. I even got him subscriptions to Thrasher and GamePro and he barely reads those. It's an epidemic.
    Maybe I should start reading to him again.
    I didn't know you were a teacher! Although the acronym "ESE" isn't familiar...(English as a Second...?)

Some parents put too much pressure, but too many don't put enough. Most kids don't like to read nowadays, and you should hear how they bitch in my classes "Oh! you mean we have to read 50 whole pages this week!!" Shit, I've had classes where I had to read 50 pages A DAY...but you'd think I was asking for the world...

Does your son watch a lot of tv? I was brought up with a love of reading, but I think it was fostered by my parents' "1 hour a day" tv rule (and of course, who the hell had video game systems back then? No one I knew!). No tv made reading so much more attractive.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

can

i read on my lunch break at work, and people will come up to me and ask if i am readong something for a school assighnment, and i'm like, no.. i just like to read... i use to love reading in the car whenever my fam went on a road trip. but when i was about 10 i started getting really bad carsick... and ever since then i can't read in a car while it is moving... unless i am driving

i just finished another of Rice's books, "pandora" it was good, i wish it had been longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M
    I didn't know you were a teacher! Although the acronym "ESE" isn't familiar...(English as a Second...?)

No, Exceptional Student Education (aka Special Ed.)

Some parents put too much pressure, but too many don't put enough. Most kids don't like to read nowadays, and you should hear how they bitch in my classes "Oh! you mean we have to read 50 whole pages this week!!" Shit, I've had classes where I had to read 50 pages A DAY...but you'd think I was asking for the world...
    They're missing out on so much! I don't understand it when people don't like to read and learn.

Does your son watch a lot of tv? I was brought up with a love of reading, but I think it was fostered by my parents' "1 hour a day" tv rule (and of course, who the hell had video game systems back then? No one I knew!). No tv made reading so much more attractive.
    He does on the weekends but he's not allowed to watch tv, get online, or play video games during the school week. To entertain himself, he builds things in his room or screws around on his skateboard. I'm thinking about making him read, the way some parents do. But I don't want him to resent it and it would have to be some badass books.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

HA! I read the CD inserts to my music. Oh, and the Sunday comics. And occationally an install instruction set when I am stumped.
    Peace

I'm not a big Anne Rice fan, but that was her best book IMO...except for the ending, which was lame...but I won't give it away

:
    I've tried to read Anne Rice but I end up having to skip paragraphs and even whole pages because her powers of description don't intrigue me. I think I may have read 3 of her books.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by can
    i read on my lunch break at work, and people will come up to me and ask if i am readong something for a school assighnment, and i'm like, no.. i just like to read... i use to love reading in the car whenever my fam went on a road trip. but when i was about 10 i started getting really bad carsick... and ever since then i can't read in a car while it is moving... unless i am driving
    There is a woman at work that takes her lunch to her car *every* day to sit, eat, and read. Whole hour. If it is hot, she runs the car and air. If it is nice, she drops down the windows.
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by pmFan
    HA! I read the CD inserts to my music. Oh, and the Sunday comics. And occationally an install instruction set when I am stumped.
    I've learned so much about how to use my Spanish vocabulary by reading the lyrics for all of Shakira's songs. (I still can't talk in past tense though).

I never think the Sunday comics are funny. Do you? Or do you just read them out of habit?

I never read the instructions unless I'm stumped either.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

I never think the Sunday comics are funny. Do you? Or do you just read them out of habit?
    I really like the comics - not habit - I forget too often. For example, Pickles cracked my up this morning! I almost always like Dilbert. Non-sequitar and Garfield were also funny. Many others are cute - like Peanuts, Marmaduke, Family Circus, etc. One that I started reading a year or two ago (and now I look forward to it) is Trails by Mark Thomas or something. It is always educational about nature. Typically 2-4 cells blended into a big block with 4-6 word bubbles.
    Peace

can

There is a woman at work that takes her lunch to her car *every* day to sit, eat, and read. Whole hour. If it is hot, she runs the car and air. If it is nice, she drops down the windows.
    yeah i don't read in my car, i just like to have a book, so i sit in the least loud place in the restraunt and read untill i'm done, something to do, and i tend to keep to myself rather that look for something to do on break...

that lady sounds like she might have a lot of cats at her house...

You mean you actually got homework over Christmas Break when you were in school?
    I thought it was just the crazy teachers at my school. My school is the #2 middle school in Miami-Dade, and one of the top 3 magnet middle schools (performing and visual arts) in the country, so the teachers and the parents are crazy competitive and sometimes, the kids beg me to give them homework assignments to write down in their agenda book so their parents won't get mad. I just tell them to write "read for 30 minutes".

It's like they actually want the kids to max out their stress levels and grow up to have a heart attack by age 28.

I do encourage reading, though. Since they all watch tv, I tell them to at least keep the captions on to improve their reading skills. Some of them actually look like they're in pain when they look at a book.

(BTW, I teach ESE classes.)

My son does not like reading either. Even though I read to him every night until he was about 7 and he sees me go through books like underwear. I even got him subscriptions to Thrasher and GamePro and he barely reads those. It's an epidemic.
    Maybe I should start reading to him again.
    Here in NYC it's the norm for the kids to get homework and projects over their long breaks. Always has been.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

i was an extreme speed reader back at school. if i was off sick for a day id polish off 600 pages before the day was up..now.. not a chance.. i got so far out of the habit that readin at night puts me to sleep very fast..

i find i am trying to do too many things at once to read now.. webpage crap, listening to podcasts,gaming,writing..
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Yeah, my wife and I have both done that in the past. [Rant] It's so freaking annoying having to answer the same questions every time you read a book.

"What book is that?"
    "Oh, so it's about wizards or something?"
    "You made a sandwich for lunch?"

Yes, I read fantasy novels! Yes I made a sandwich!!! What does it freaking look like? Leave me alone so I can think about something other than mechanical drafting for half an hour! [/Rant]

So much better to get away from the co-workers for a while.

By the way, I'm reading the Wheel of Time series (book 11 just came out, so I think it's in the neighborhood of 8000 pages so far. Really good but it's not over yet, so it get's frustrating waiting fot the next book. The 12th one is supposed to be the last.) Here I am with the author:

I also just read The Life of Pi about a kid on a raft, adrift in the Pacific Ocean with some zoo animals. The experience really teaches him a lot about himself and he learns about his spirituality. Really interesting. Supposedly a true story too.
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

ive only read one so far.. in a similar vein i loved Katharine Kerr's deverry series of books which starts with Daggerspell
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

One book? Ever? or in the Wheel of Time series?

I'll have to check out the Deverry series. How many books is it? Is the series finished? 'Cause I vowed not to start any other series until they're finished. The time between, waiting for the next book kills me.
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

hahaaa.. no one from the wheel of time.. the Katherine Kerr books are pure magic.. the series will be finished by the time you get through it..
    there are 4 series of books that will make the entire series and there are three more books coming 2006,2007 and finishing in 2008..

the 2006 book is no 12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharine_Kerr

the books incorporate astral and etheric projection, sorcery,reincarnation.....

the crux of it is.. a prince abandoned his title and took up sorcery, on the road but his actions caused death of his friends and he vowed to the gods he would not rest until it was set right.. so they do not allow him to die.. he exists trying to set things right, tracing the reincarnations of people he knew in the past!
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

hey.. i didnt do that!!
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

I read a book once...in 9th grade it was called "I am the cheese" I was amused by that book and from that point on the only books I've ever read were technical.

Quote Originally Posted by ETHERSPIN
    i was an extreme speed reader back at school. if i was off sick for a day id polish off 600 pages before the day was up..
    I'd do that during school and my math teacher would confiscate my books (still got an A in math too). He had a whole collection by the end of the year, it took me several trips to get them all back home.

there we go, just right. keep walking...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDog
    Here I am with the author:

Dude! you have a picture of yourself with the Man!! (you know he keeps a blog now, right? ( http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/ ) Book 12 should be really, really interesting.

there we go, just right. keep walking...

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by SaintHax
    I read a book once...in 9th grade it was called "I am the cheese" I was amused by that book and from that point on the only books I've ever read were technical.
    I recently read Who Moved My Cheese...cute book on life.
    Peace

+ Reply to Thread