+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what books do u all read?

Banned

i left abreif description in the 'ask be' forum...someone recomend some other good ones.....

i also recomend 'the prince' by machiavelli, eveytime i read it, i c more and more in iit that i missed the first time around...
    peace.

usually autobiographys.....bios.......dantes inferno....dracula......jaws.....bloom county comic comps.......comics....
    magazines.........morrison poetry...........books on the electronic gaming industry...anything i get my hands of that even has any fleeting interest ill read....-syxxpm :wink: :thumup:
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

"The Coldfire Trilogy" by CS. Friedman are my favorites.

the gun seller - hugh laurie
    homicide:life on the killing streets - david simon
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

I have two degrees in English, and I was an English professor a couple of years ago at the ripe ol' age of 24, so I've read a lot of books. I tend to like books by black female authors (that's what I wrote my Master's thesis on actually). Not those contemporary books that only talk about dysfunctional black male/female relationships. My favorite is "The Color Purple" by Alice Walker. I also like Toni Morrison, Gloria Naylor (I met her once and she signed my copy of the Women of Brewster Place), and Zora Neale Hurston. Right now I am reading a book on Robert's Rules of Order because I'm doing a presentation on it...boring, but after that I am going to read "Wicked" by Gregory Macguire, it's the story of the Wizard of Oz told from the perspective of the wicked witch, so I'm hoping it should be pretty interesting.
    Don't let them change you inside, cause anyone who matters will try to understand who you are.

When you always stay in self-incarceration...I think it's such a shame.

I made a pilgrimage to save this human race, never comprehending the race was long gone by.

I like the Black female authors too, Foxy. My favorite is Terry McMillan. I have read practically all of her books and love them (Exhale, Mama, Disappearing Acts, Stella, Day Late). I read Gloria Naylor's "Linden Hills" and enjoyed it immensely.

I don't really care for Toni Morrison. She takes way too long to describe basic things. That turns me off in writings.

Cool.

Louis
    I love the summer months!

I like the Black female authors too, Foxy. My favorite is Terry McMillan. I have read practically all of her books and love them (Exhale, Mama, Disappearing Acts, Stella, Day Late). I read Gloria Naylor's "Linden Hills" and enjoyed it immensely.

I don't really care for Toni Morrison. She takes way too long to describe basic things. That turns me off in writings.

Cool.

Louis
    too much description turns me off too, but "Song of Solomon", "Beloved", and "The Bluest Eye" are awesome, but I will admit there are a couple of Morrison works I really don't care for. I haven't read Linden Hills but it is definitely on my list, it's based on Dante's "Inferno" which I've read twice and really enjoy so I'm thinking Linden Hills will be an interesting take on it.
    Don't let them change you inside, cause anyone who matters will try to understand who you are.

I made a pilgrimage to save this human race, never comprehending the race was long gone by.

I'm an Iceberg Slim fan myself...heheheh
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

what the hell is a book? :donno:

Intelligent Posts :11

Louis L'amour...Sacket series...but prefer the Walking Drum....

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

on a pale horse - piers anthony
    the secret diary of laura palmer - jennifer lynch
    um ....

most of the books i read are about bands or music in general so i don't know...

joyeux

nevermind, just
    Keep your headphones on.

what the hell is a book? :donno:

I really enjoyed the Lord of the Rings which I read about 10 years ago, and I re-read it every so often.

Another great fanstay series is the "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan. It can be a little daunting though, 'cause book 10 in the series is coming out this November and Jordan says there will be at least 2 or 3 more books. He's a very good writer, but a little wordy at times.

Peace,
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

I usualy like ne thing by richard laymon and graham masterton
    IF YOU CANT BEAT THEM, AVOID THEM FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Intelligent Posts :11

ooopps...almost forgot...Hugh Hefner is the man...

every single book that Dean Koontz has ever written.
    every cookbook that looks good
    anything that catches my eye at the library

Currently, I am rereading "When I Was Puerto Rican" because I am helping my son do his Christmas Break homework. It's part of his gift.

Who the hell gives homework over Christmas Break?

can

Currently reading Anne Rice's "The Witching Hour", i read on average a book a week, but since this is a little over 1000 pages, this is gonna take me a little couple more weeks.. i also really like Michael Crichton, Grisham, and Dean Koontz... I'm a book nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by wendyful04
    Who the hell gives homework over Christmas Break?
    Now why didn't I ever have any teachers like you?
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

You mean you actually got homework over Christmas Break when you were in school?
    I thought it was just the crazy teachers at my school. My school is the #2 middle school in Miami-Dade, and one of the top 3 magnet middle schools (performing and visual arts) in the country, so the teachers and the parents are crazy competitive and sometimes, the kids beg me to give them homework assignments to write down in their agenda book so their parents won't get mad. I just tell them to write "read for 30 minutes".

It's like they actually want the kids to max out their stress levels and grow up to have a heart attack by age 28.

I do encourage reading, though. Since they all watch tv, I tell them to at least keep the captions on to improve their reading skills. Some of them actually look like they're in pain when they look at a book.

(BTW, I teach ESE classes.)

My son does not like reading either. Even though I read to him every night until he was about 7 and he sees me go through books like underwear. I even got him subscriptions to Thrasher and GamePro and he barely reads those. It's an epidemic.
    Maybe I should start reading to him again.

Quote Originally Posted by can
    Currently reading Anne Rice's "The Witching Hour".
    I'm not a big Anne Rice fan, but that was her best book IMO...except for the ending, which was lame...but I won't give it away

Well, for my comp exam in May, I have approximately 200 history books I need to read by my exam date. With such exciting titles as "Shipping, Maritime Trade, and the Economic Development of Colonial North America" and "The American Political Nation, 1838-1893." OOOOOOH Hot Stuff, I assure you

When I'm not being tortured and jumping through hoops I enjoy Victorian and 18th century novels -- most recently, I read "The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins, which is a mystery. I was also reading a book of Henry James's short stories, and a pretty racy 18th century gothic-fiction called "The Monk" (although I accidentally lost it on the subway, so I need to get a new copy so I can finish it).
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

+ Reply to Thread