+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: folk music and their listeners

i posted this response already but I want to know what ya think.

I have met some real dumb folk music listeners. Many of them hate black people. I am talking about the rich white prep type. They love bob dylan. I hate that crap. They think that I am strange for having black friends and that I listen to hip hop. At least some of them. I am thinking to myself......what the hell is so special about your garbage. I hate slow songs and I also hate the acoustic guitar. Thank god for Jimmy hendricks. Acoustic is dated and boring to me. Nothing exciting at all about it.

Oh yeah I also can't stand tom waits or jimmy buffet. It is not so much the music as the idiots that listen to it. America's attitude on black music is low. Why do you think we call the highest honor the Rock& Roll Hall of fame. Why should it be that title? why not just music hall of fame. We put rock on a pedestle way too much. When nirvana came out mtv was all about calling them the greatest of all time. what about the other complishments other artists made? I love nirvana and metallica and stuff but come on.....even with pop rap at its highest, these artists will never get the respect of white rock musicians.

Guess what guys......I am a white guy saying this.

I just CAN'T imagine someone hating black people but loving Bob Dylan...it's an absolute contradiction in terms.

Perhaps they're morons. :wink:
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

ok the type of music they listen to i dont think encourages there prejudices...... i could be wrong though.....but i do think dylan sucks,......i do like jefferson airplane however but i guess they are more acid rock than folk.....and bowie when he was folk was really cool....(by space odditty to feel me on this )..(he speaks elloquently and coherently and thats probablly why i like it )
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

You can't categorize people who listen to folk music in one fell swoop -- if you do, then in reality YOU'RE the one who's prejudiced -- anyone who feels they can take one small aspect of a human being and use that to place them into a nice, neat little box of who they are is prejudiced

prej·u·dice: The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived judgments or convictions, irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group

I listen to folk music...and I don't give a rat's ass what kind of music you listen to, or what other people listen to...do you have to like folk music? no. Do you have the right to now decide that I'm a bigot who hates black people because I happen to like folk music? no. people like different things...I like accoustic guitar, becuase I find it to be pure, unfrilled...I like slow songs...I like Bob dylan becuase I can hear his soul in his music, and I respect that...and you should have enough respect for other people not to go around completely trashing other people you don't even know just becuase they listen to a type of music that's not your style...i am not an "idiot" because I choose to have different musical tastes than you do...

And there are quite a few black musicians in the rock and roll hall of fame: james Brown, Ray charles, Fats domino, sam Cooke, Little Richard, Robert Johnson, Jimmy Yancy, Bo Diddley, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, B.B. King, Clyde Mcphatter, smokey Robinson, Big Joe Turner, Muddy Waters, Jackie Wilson, Louis Jordan, T-Bone walker, The Supremes, The Drifters, Lead Belly, otis Redding, The Temptations, steveie Wonder, The Ink Spots, Bessie Smith, the Soul Stirrers, hank Ballard, The Four Tops, The Platters, Louis Armstrong, charlie Christian, Ma Rainey, La Vern Baker, john Lee Hooker, The Impressions, wilson Pickett, Jimmy Reed, Ike and Tina Turner, Howln' wolf, Bobby "blue" bland, Booker t and the MG's, The isley Brothers, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Sam and Dave, Elmore James, Professor Longhair, Ruth Brown, frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, Etta James, Sly and the family stone (mixed), dinah Washington, Bob marley, willie Dixon, al Green, Martha and the Vandellas, The orioles, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Little willie John, the Shirelles, The Jackson five, Parliament-Funkadelic, Mahalia Jackson, lloyd Price, curtis Mayfield, The staple singers, Charles Brown, The Moonglows, James Tayloe, Nat "king" cole, Billie Holiday, solomon Burke, The Flamingos, Michael Jackson, & Isaac hayes

This is apporximately 46% of all the inductees in the rock and roll hall of fame are black artists, many of whom were more alongthe lines of pop music than rock...so please do your hoemwork before throwing around accusations...

Wow, me and Mistress on the same side again...been a long time girl! :wink:

I feel ashamed now because I stopped reading his post right after the Bob Dylan comment...it was just too ludicrous to continue. If I had I would have jumped all over both the Hall Of Fame and the Rock & Roll comments.

Mistress M quite efficiently took care of the Hall Of Fame stuff, so let me handle Rock & Roll.

Rock & Roll is BLACK music...period! It was created BY BLACK people FOR BLACK people. In fact, upon it's emergence in the 50's it was so hated by the white establishment that they labeled it Race Music. Do not be fooled by the fact that it has now splintered into different styles...some of which is now practiced and listened to mainly by whites...it is all BLACK music.

Rock & Roll is nothing more than Rhythm & Blues with a different name...one that was coined by BLACK people. Listen to early Rock & Roll and you will discover that it's basicly Blues with an uptempo beat to it...thus the Rhythm. Hell, even The Stones and The Beatles will tell you that was what they were doing.

What is more, just about EVERYTHING you turn on the radio to listen to now is Rock & Roll...regardless of what people call it...even HIP HOP! Dammit...even COUNTRY! They used to call it Country & Western so as not to lose the part of the genre that was created by white people (Western), which is basicly Country Folk music. Hell, they can't even fully claim that. Did you know that the banjo is both an African instrument and word? A fiddle may be really a violin but both the word and style of playing are African as well.

So son, whereas my people greatly appreciate your love for our music (yes, I was voted Official Black Representative just last week :wink: ), please don't belittle our accomplishments and contributions to American heritage by assigning credit for some of our greater musical achievements to usurpers and johnny-come-latelys. BASICLY, if the music employs trap drums or a healthy rhythm (or a faxcillity thereof), then it is BLACK music...either Jazz or Rock & Roll...or Blues.

Now, much of the more soulless acoustic stuff like like Folk and Western does have European origins but we have plenty of influence there too!

Oh, and to clarify my Bob Dylan comment...much of Bob Dylan's most famous work dealt with the plight of black people in this country, so for someone to love Dylan and hate black people is just stupid. What do they do, say "I love Bob Dylan even though he's a nigger lover?"

Again...perhaps they're morons. :rofl:
    Alright
    Yeah...

i think most music has lost any color it may have had over the years, you could trace it back centuries of who learned what from who and took influences from these people who blah blah........

Bullshit FrEk!!! You need to go to that fukkin music class of yours!

Before blacks in the American south invented Ragtime, trap drums, and then started mixing them all together Western music was soulless and rhythmically mundane.

I know you hate history, but this is a field that you really need to look into.
    Alright
    Yeah...

if it wasnt for black music all whitey would have is his sonattas....and as cool as it is...you cant boogie down to beethovevns 5th......amd break dancing to stravisnky is really not recomended and probably dangerous..... :rofl:

what i mean really is who cares, it aint nothing but bragging rights anyway.....but i guess i can see it, i kinda like the fact that techno is american music.......guess it kinda seems to me that seperatism underlies the whole debate though

As an American black man...and a member of a people who have had almost EVERYTHING stolen from them or have had the credit for most of what they have contributed to society denied or outright and fraudulently claimed by somebody else...I CARE!!!
    Alright
    Yeah...

Intelligent Posts :11

no offense coz....but the next time you make reference to a song, "Johny come lately" and it gets stuck in my head..im gonna kick your happy black ass........

So son, whereas my people greatly appreciate your love for our music (yes, I was voted Official Black Representative just last week ), please don't belittle our accomplishments and contributions to American heritage by assigning credit for some of our greater musical achievements to usurpers and johnny-come-latelys. BASICLY, if the music employs trap drums or a healthy rhythm (or a faxcillity thereof), then it is BLACK music...either Jazz or Rock & Roll...or Blues.
    mmmmmmmmm ...hmmmm!

(As my grandma would say, "Tell the truth and shame the devil!")

[Next week's topic, "Identifying the Cultural Assimilation--And the Pain It Causes" on the next Cozmo D show. And Remember...the D is for Dis!]

:wink:
    I love the summer months!

ok guys lets not get angry!!!

I am certainly not downplaying rock and roll. But it is still there. Most white people do not give black musicians credit. I know this may have nothing to do with folk music in general. We in this forum are different from many other listeners. Keep in mind that we follow groups that are not popular anymore. Many of these friggin listners only listen to dylan and others cause their legends. We follow pm dawn because we like the music and the message. We are different and you can't speak for the rest of society that is biggoted and racist at times. I may have come off as prejudice towards these listeners and I am sorry. I shouldn't say that listerns of folk are all this way. HOWEVER people are too fickel and not loyal. People go to the friggin Jimmy Buffet concert to get drunk. They could care less about the music. I am sure the same could go with other artists. Look how long it took for mtv to play black musicians. Rap is now getting the credit it should even when the music is at its worst. BUT even today white folks listen to this music and see it as party music. I live in the south and all these people buy Lil Jon and the East Side Boys just because it is a party song group and every track sounds the same. If that is how people view this music then that sux. They wouldn't dare buy Hieroglyphics or talib Kweli or mos def because it would be too serious of a music. They don't see it as this. If they would want to listen to somehting they consider inspirational than they would listen to rock artists.

Let me tell you something about me in general. I have had both a large group of friends that are black and those that are white growing up. I know hand in hand what I am talking about based on my experiences. It is hidden and unless you have HUNG OUT and got involved in BOTH CULTURES and NOT JUST WITH BLACK CULTURE OR VISE VERSA or any other culture, it would be hard for you to notice people's attitudes. You don't know how many times I would play a certain music in my car and depending on the people and their up bringing they would either be cool with it or they would see as a character flaw. This is my personal experience and it may be totally different than yours. Thats all.

....can we agree that whitey stole and watered down all of the musical forms from blackey and claimed them as his own.....and that folk music is good in MODERATION.......and that racism and music dont always go hand in hand.....and that stealing is bad mkay.....and that history is important cuz were doomed to repeat it if we dont listen.....
    okay.......now everybody deep breath..and relax.....

all music is BAD, the end.

ya :thumup:

....can we agree that whitey stole and watered down all of the musical forms from blackey and claimed them as his own.....and that folk music is good in MODERATION.......and that racism and music dont always go hand in hand.....and that stealing is bad mkay.....and that history is important cuz were doomed to repeat it if we dont listen.....
    okay.......now everybody deep breath..and relax.....
    Blackey Syxx?
    I love the summer months!

Yeah...that Blackey shit could catch somebody a beatdown!
    Alright
    Yeah...

BUT WERE CALLED WHITEY...... :rofl:

how about smookie instead :thumup:

+ Reply to Thread