ZapMama
    Natacha Atlas
    Tartit
    Amina
    Sade
    Neneh Cherry
    Live
    We all know about PM Dawn

Just some of the regulars on my cd playlist. How about you all,list away.

I think I've only heard of Les Nubians, but...

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

I love Sade!
    I love the summer months!

sade s
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

My all-time favorite African artists (In no particular order).

Hugh Masakela
    Fela
    Manu Dibango
    Osibisa
    Miriam Makeba
    Baba Olatunji
    Sade (though she doesn't truly have an African "flavor")

Guess my age is showing once again...heheheheh. :wink:
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Warrior of Love Rumi_Philosophie's Avatar

Actually Coz, those are timeless artists,good tastes. I think that any music that black people do is African. Just my opinion. :wink: So that of course includes our lovely contralto crooner diva herself,Miss Sade Adu.

my djembe teacher was a disciple of baba olatunji.

P.M. Dawn is generally the group that I try to get people turned on to. Otherwise, the bands I tend to turn people onto are:
    • Barenaked Ladies (somewhat pop, but very good lyrics)
    • Moby (particularly Play and Everything is Wrong)
    • Tom Waits (particularly Frank's Wild Years and Mule Variations)
    "Uncertain emotions force an ... uncertain smile." - The The

i liked les nubians 1st album..
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

Alright! See I knew you all liked other music too,not that that takes anything away from PMDawn,they hold their very own candle,but see good tastes,good tastes.

Atma, very cool. :bowdown:

:thumup:

Sorry guys but I hate tom waits and bob dylan. Puke time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:moon: :la:

Also Joan baez....i have the classic documentary "Woodstock" and she is on their talking about her husband being in jail. I know why that horrible folk music drove him insane.

I HATE FOLK MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd rather drink my own puke.

Yeah, but CSN&Y's version of Joan's "Woodstock" and Jimi's version of Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" FUKKIN ROCKED!!!!!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

They have to be in my top 25 all-time favorite rock songs! :thumup:
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Hey Filmwiz,how is it that you harbor such hate for a music,is it because you secretely like folksies but are ashamed to admit it? I mean, I don't care for pop or Britney spears and those boy bands but I wouldn't go on raging,instead, I just don't listen to it. That simple.

coz has a point :bowdown:
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

I hate folk music because those people that listen to folk think that your a dweeb for listennig to rap music. Most of them also that I have met are some racist muthas. They are soooooooooooooooo mr rogers white guy that its scary. I don't like people like that. They are cool with me until they see my black friends.

If you don't like these genres, you probably won't like either The Red Elvises or Mercury Four. These are not deep bands, but they are fun bands. A short introduction to The Red Elvises can be found by renting the movie Six String Samurai, which is a post-apocolymptic rock-and-roll fable complete with a messiah theme -- the band had a cameo in which they played some villans. If you've seen the movie, consider the quote, "Nice shoes."

The first time I saw either band live was last night at the Tractor Tavern in Seattle. Here are two blurbs I wrote (and look -- I'm not even using that hihgly feared purple font color for this one):

Home from The Red Elvises.

The thought of them ever, ever doing a double-bill with Kultur Shock scares the hell out of me. I wouldn't be right for a week, at least.

They did a rockabilly-swing cover of Tom Waits' Telephone Call From Instanbul.

The opening band, Mercury Four, did a surfabilly cover of Taste of Honey's Sukiyaki.

mother ...

We got really lucky. We forgot to bring earplugs, but we found a spot against the wall near the stage where we were out of the speaker/amplifier blast area. Which means that we'll just be a little bit deef for the next week, rather than a whole lotta deef.

We're both wiped, Khan is sugar crashing and I must find my copy of Frank's Wild Years so that he can hear the lyrics to Instanbul. *zzzz*

Last minute update: I will admit to a brush with fame. We were standing one body away from the stage baracade, and Igor came from the bar to go backstage. He turned sideways and siddled against me, flashing me a "pardon me" smile as he did it.

Okay, literally - a brush with fame. We didn't try to get backstage, didn't try to goose anyone, chatted with the guard when he felt like talking, and helped one of the belly dancers (yes, The Red Elvises work with belly dance troupes -- news to me) get over the rope when her outfit got caught.

We were very nice, very unmemorable and had a great time.

=}+{=

Red Elvises, revisted.

Okay, now that I've had some sleep and am somewhat more coherant ...

This might have been the best concert by a relative indie band that I've ever been to. Indeed, both bands were great, and I'm not at all used to both the opening act (Mercury Four) and the main attraction (Red Elvises) being able to compliment each other so well. The Elvises played some surf music, and Mercury even covered an Elvises tune.

Mercury Four does surf music -- instrumentals only. I was prepared to be bored but actually rather liked it. I tend to find it difficult to understand the lyrics from a band in concert who I'm not familiar with, so this wasn't an issue. The keyboardist, who also plays sax, did most of the patter, which was okay but not gripping. He kept it short, which was a goodness. The lead guitarist knew his stuff, and he and the keyboardist were the most hyper of the four. The drummer was ... there, I guess. If it wasn't for the fact that he had groupies who were standing near us, trying to catch his attention, I wouldn't have really noticed him. The music had silly names, but it sounded pretty straight forward. I was fascinated to find out that the lead guitarist on surfabilly (well, at least this surfabilly) is responsible for the majority of the random audio effects -- there were a few sounds that I was startled to hear from a guitar. Khan wasn't quite as intrigued by them as I was, but I found that they had most of my attention during their set.

I was floating on both bands' magic through pretty much all of the concert, except the beginning of the Elivses second set, which was touch and go for me. It didn't help that I'd never heard any of their albums: I'm familiar with them from watching Six String Samurai every now and again. Even the slow songs tended to have a strong energy to them that I enjoyed -- it's hard to describe. I think it's because Igor, the front man, can't really calm down -- even for a slow number. He croons well, but the rest of him sorta vibrates even when he's standing still. Which was really odd considering that they started the set with a longue-type song. He was even dressed for it: a entirely tiger-print outfit, complete with matching shirt and shoes.

The bassist, who owns the single largest guitar I've ever laid eyes on (it has a kickstand to help him hold it, and can sit upright without being propped against anything), grinned through almost the entire show. Because of this -- and the blowing of kisses -- he was so cute. He was responsible for the occasional echoing screams and sudden whistles that went with the music.

The keyboardist, whose keyboard would rock along with the music as well as many guitars, also plays the accordian (well, they called it a "squeeze-box", and it may have a more specific title), sax, and the tambourine, at the very least. He didn't really do much else except wear a black top hat and a really cool ruby-colored shiny jacket.

The drummer was even neat. His sound test at the beginning was interesting to listen to, because it was obvious that he was listening to see if each of his drums was tightened properly. One drum in particular had an interesting after-effect ... kinda like *bap*woooOOOOooom* , which he'd listen for before hitting it again. They made certain to have drum solos, one of which was official. Igor on one side, the basist on the other, the drummer in the middle and all of them actually playing his drum set. The keyboardist, stayed out of the line of fire by playing a tambourine. He even had his own little solo on it, but that was rather sad in comparison.

I liked the music. I liked the band. I liked the lyrics I could make out (which was at least half of them, surprisingly enough). While I wouldn't call the Red Elvises my favorite band, they're certainly up there. They may very well be my favorite live band, though.
    "Uncertain emotions force an ... uncertain smile." - The The

+ Reply to Thread