+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ANYBODY WHO KNOWS ANY LATIN AT ALL

i need the follwing translations from 'Commentarii de Bello Gallico' (The Gallic Wars) :

Hi omnes lingua, legibus aliisque, ebus multis inter se differunt.

Praeterea, proximi ssunt Germanis, qui trans Rhenum incolunt, quibiscum contineater bellum gerunt.

Casticus, Sequonus, auctoritate Orgetorigis inductus, regnum in civitae sua occupare constituit.

Ita Orgetorix tres firmissi___(can't read my writing) populos conjunxit ut per eos totius Galliae imperium obtineret.

Cum omnia quae ad profectionem pertinent paravissent, opida sua omnia incenderunt.

Cum omnes res ad profectionem comparavissent, diem dixerunt, qua die ad ripam Rhodani omnes convenirent.

Pontem qui ex Helvetiis ad Genebam pertinebat rescindi iusset.

memoris enim tenebat Helvetios consulem Romanum occidesse exercitumque eius perulisse atque superavisse.

Itaque Helvetii flumen Rhodanum transire conati sunt, sed operis mantione(?) et telis repulsi sunt.

C'mon, SOMEBODY has to know....i need 2 minimum...

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

Warrior of Love Rumi_Philosophie's Avatar

Where did you get this? I know that this is a commentary on some Celtic(or Gallic warriors) like Casticus,seqouno,etc Do you have a professor you could ask?

From my limited spanish and french, I gather that the writer is describing the warriors and their culture. Something about their language being mixed?

Some Germanic warriors from the Rhine(rhenum) they and the celts occupy a region near the rhine

The opedum I think is a burial chamber,and it is describing it, as wide and round...

That is all I gather. I hope I am not misleading you,but I think that is what this is. A description of some warriors and their occupancy of some area or territory.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

it's just some stuff caesar wrote. i'm supposed to translate the sentences :-

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

well i know what cum is if that helps at all

Ok...here goes nothing.... :wink:

Hi (this/these) omnes (all/every) lingua (tongue/speech/language) legibus (law/principle) aliisque (another/different), ebus (?) multis (much/many/great) inter (among/between/during) se (his/her/themself) differunt (they scatter/spread/postpone/put off| differ{int}

praeterea (besides/thereafter) proxime (nearness/close connection) ssunt (?) germanis (brotherly/genuine/real) , qui (who) trans (across) rhenum (Rhine,river dividing Gaul and Germany - in Caesar's "Gallic War") incolunt (they inhabit) quibiscum ( :two words: "cum" with/together/jointly "quibis" be able to) contineater (maintain/secure/fasten/hold in position/confine/restrain) bellum (war/fighting) gerunt (they carry on/manage/perform/continue)

casticus (?), sequonuns (?), auctoritate (ownership/right to authorize) orgetorisgis (?) inductus (having been lead in or on/introduce/induce) regnum (sovereignty/kingdom/realm) in (in/into) civitae (fellow citizen/free person) sua (his/hers/its/their property) occupare (to seize/take possession of/surprise/anticipate) constituit (he establish/erect/set up/appoint/fix/decide/determine)

ita (thus/so/therefore) orgetorix (chief of Helvetii, hostile to Caesar - in Caesar's "Gallic War") tres (three) populos (nation/people) ut (how/as/when/so that/ in order that) per (through) eos (those) totius (of all/the whole/entire/total) galliae (early Northern Italy, then South-East France, then France and Belgium) imperium (command/authority/empire) obtineret (he might hold/maintain - hold good/prevail)

cum (with [ab] when/whenever/since/although) omnia (all/every) quae (who/which/that) ad (to) pertinent (they extend/belong/relate/tend to) paravissent ( they [would have]/had prepare/ get ready) opida ("medival?"town) sua (his/her/its/their) omina (all/every) incenderunt (they have set on fire/excite/inflame)

cum (when, at the time/on each occasion/in the situation that; after; since) omnes (all/every) res (thing/matter/event/fact) ad (to) profectionem (departure) comparavissent (prepare; provide; compose; collect, get together/hold of/had couple together/match/prepare/obtain/establish/procure/compare) diem (day) dixerunt (say, talk; tell, call; name, designate; assert; set, appoint; plead) qua (whom/which/that/anyone, anybody, anything; someone, something) die (day; daylight; festival; time; lifetime, age) ad (to) ripam (river bank) rhodani (Rhone, river in SW Gaul - in Caesar's "Gallic War") omnes (all/every) convenirent (they [might] meet/assemble/gather/be acceptable)

pontem (bridge) qui (who/which/what) ex (out of/from/becauseof) helvetiis (a people of Cen. Gaul (Switzerland) - in Caesar's "Gallic War") ad (to/towards/until/by) genebam (give birth to/bear/bring forth/beget) pertinebat (reach; extend; relate to; concerns, pertain to) rescindi (cut out; cut down, destroy; annul; rescind) iusset (command/order/appoint)

memoris (mindful/remembering) enim (for/indeed/in fact) tenebat (he was hold/keep/maintain/restrain...{memoria}remember ) helvetios (a people of Cen. Gaul (Switzerland) - in Caesar's "Gallic War") consulem (consul,highest elected Roman official - 2/year) romanum (the Romans) occidesse (slaugher/slay/murder/kill) exercitumque (army/infantry/swarm) eius (of him/her/it/them) perulisse (?) atque (and/as well as) superavisse (overcome, conquer; survive; outdo; surpass)

itaque (therefore/thus/and so/consequently) helvetii (a people of Cen. Gaul (Switzerland) - in Caesar's "Gallic War") flumen (stream/river/flow) rhodanum (Rhone, river in SW Gaul - in Caesar's "Gallic War") transire (to go over/cross) conati (effort/attempted action) sunt (they are) sed (but/however) operis (work/labor) et (and/also) telis (spear/weapon) repulsi (push,thrust back/repel/fend off) sunt (they are/to be/exist)

Hope this helps you, if not just a little bit
    Also, if you can let me know how close I am to having it translated roughly correct...
    Because the sky is blue, it makes me cry...

These all the tongue, to the motions the garlic, the ebus to the fines between defer ....

Praeterea, the neighbors are to the Germans, which/who live across Rhine, the quibiscum the contineater the war bear.

Casticus, Sequonus, by the title of Orgetorix lead inned, the royal power into the civita the his property to seize he/she/it has set up/in positioned.

three Ita Orgetorix firm/steady___( sing' T by the party in law suit of the myus the writingus) he/she/it has connected the peoples that through ... the command of complete Gaul might get hold of.

Cum all which/who reach to the departure they might have prepared, the opida the his property (se suaque => themselves a all have set fire toed.

Cum all the things to might have prepared the departure, they have said the day, which/who of the day to the bank Rhones the all might be appropriate to.

Pont which/who out of the Helvetiis to he/she/it was reaching to be cut outed Geneba he/she/it might have ordered.

remembering for he/she/it was holding the Helvetiis fall the consul Roman the army of it by the peruliss and to have overcome.

by Itaqu the Helvetiis the river to go over Rhone they have been attempt/try/endeavored, but remain you cover(?) and have been drive/push/thrust back/awaid to the webs.
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

These all the tongue, to the motions the garlic, the ebus to the fines between defer ....
    you used that "quicklatin" program, didn't you.....

i already tried that..

Ok...here goes nothing.... :wink:

hehe, i can translate the words, but the problem is getting them in the correct tense and order. I was gonna fail the test anyway:-
    If she corrects the stuff on the test i'll tell you how you did

aahh!! why didn't you say so yesterday, hax???? I did terrible on that test and you had the answers all along!

yea use it with old church documents
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

isnt caesar a salad?
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

+ Reply to Thread