+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: what needed for music??

2 all musically/technically minded here, I am reasonably technically able, and have a strong interest in music, I have a few limited programs 4 making music on pc (e.g. fruityloops) and am wondering what 2 purchase next 2 go towards music creation .. e.g. a reasonably priced software package or some equipment/keyboard etc ??
    recommendations please?? I have the will, i need the knowledge,dont know where 2 start

Fruityloops...phehhh!!! :umm:

What kinda music you wanna do Tim, and how professional do you want it to be?

Are you planning to do vocals?

Do you wanna do demos...pre-production...release-ready material?

Are you a musician...computer versed?
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

what's your computer specs too. it don't even take a whole lot of money to get going either

I do vocals, so yeah that is part of it ,and anything from release ready down to demo level would be good as long as i am learning in the process,I can't read sheet music as yet,I will pick up anything computer tech very quickly(did bachelor deg in Info Tech for a year) but although I am musically interested i dont have much technical knowledge in that field... I have no problem writing and singing lyrics and conceptualizing a song in my mind.. (even subtle production effects)..
    the computer i have here is a 700mhz celeron,128mb ram,the soundcard is stupid intel onboard-nothing special,60gb free hdd space.. erm .. 24x cd writer, 10X dvd drive.. and i also have 900mhz laptop,256mb ram,20gb laptop awaiting repair after psycho ex GF kicked hell out of it

what u think u fountains of knowledge u ??
    :bowdown:

i would just get a copy of cubase sx to start with, that's a good all-around kind of sequencer, and it has good midi and audio functions, so you can practically do most everything you need in it. you probably want a half decent soundcard if you want to run something like cubase or any other pro sequencer, so you might look into something like the m-audio audiophile card, which is a budget all-around card with midi i/o and audio i/o. then you'll need some kind of mic, and then a preamp for it, or if you intend to record other external instruments/sources you could simply get a little mixing board, like a mackie 1202, which has preamps in it, so you could power your mic and guitar/sampler/synths/whatever and then send them into cubase through your soundcard. besides that, i'd recommend getting some relatively decent speakers, or "monitors" as they're called.

yeah m-audio is comin out with a whole buncha new things too, even usb stuff with mic preamps and everything so you could use it on your laptop or desktop. i'd check out the ozone which basically does everything, just add a mic, headphones/monitors, and some software (cubase sx is dope, don't listen to coz) and your going. plus it's usb so you could use it on whichever computer back n forth........the ozone hasn't shipped yet though, real soon i think though, like 2 weeks for like $330

ohhh cool , im takin in all ur info and am going on a price check....
    thankyou..
    ill get back 2 u when i make a decision!
    (ohh and coz if u have any advice please let me know still!!)

The Ozone looks like it may be right up your ally...unless you have to have a bigger keyboard. Don't bother with software...got that covered for ya. :wink:
    Alright
    Yeah...

so the ozone is a keyboard? just checking caus i know there is effects software called that as well?
    i gotta be clear cause remember at this stage i have no knowledge in this field )
    other than that this info is excellent.... i can put in some major overtime at work this month and next .. ill be set

ok found article on the ozone, does look cool.. loads of features

it's a keyboard, but it doesn't actually make any sounds, it's only meant to be used to control other things via midi. basically if you have rack unit synth modules, or software synthesizers that need to be played by something else, you could use something like the ozone (or just any midi capable keyboard).

just wondering, I havent played keyboard for years and have forgotten how, so would i be better off getting a full size midi capable keyboard as size is not criteria for me, if so , R there keyboards in the same price range as the ozone which also have the pre amp and same connectabilty etc ???

the ozone is the only keyboard i've ever seen that's also an audio interface. you could get a second keyboard and use em both or ditch the ozone and get a bigger keyboard and a separate audio interface. a usb 61 note keyboard'll run about $175 maybe and maybe another $250 for a usb audio interface with mic pre-amps, so your lookin at the same price as an ozone. sticking with m-audio examples checkout the duo which is like $250, or ummm 165 pounds? and reallyany 61 note keyboard with usb'll do (don't let msrp prices fool you). i use this actually cuz it's got lots of controls to manipulate different parameters but you might not necessarily even need all that shit. course this and the card bus interface is the shiz for a laptop, but your lookin at like $900 besides getting preamps, a mic, a keyboard, etc. which is way beyond what you need to get started, i just -L- rme stuff

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

I'm late as usual, and if the usual rules apply that "none shall read or post after samedeepwater posts on a topic", then the point is moot, but ....

I use fruityloops pro, with a shitload of extra sounds, samples and loops (several gigs worth) and i've learned to stretch the prog well beyond what the manual says it's good for, but it wouldn't be shit without it's companion cooledit pro 2.0. i've been using cooledit since the '96 version, and it's only gotten better and better. i couldn't live without it. any other cep users out there?

whatever, i only replied cuz i can't sleep & i'm bored.

later folks
    Keep your headphones on.

Cool Edit Pro...PHEH!!! :rofl:
    Alright
    Yeah...

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

and what do you have against cep coz? i think it's
    Keep your headphones on.

To tell the truth, I haven't used it in quite a few versions. Probably not since Win95. I disliked it so much (as compared to the Mac audio editing programs I was using at the time like Sound Designer II) that I never looked at it again. So I guess I have stated a very prejudiced, biased, and ignorant opinion here...heheheheh. :wink:

I do know that Peak (on the Mac) is miles ahead of Sound Designer, and Sound Forge (on PC) is miles ahead of Peak, and I like Wavelab (on PC) even better than Sound Forge...but maybe I'll take a look at the latest version of CEP, just to see how trully ignorant my opinion was. :rofl:
    Alright
    Yeah...

Coz. please elaborate on the last line of your second reply in this topic......................
    i am currently saving for the ozone, a decent mike.. and i am writing lyrics 2 get creative juices flowing..

http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2002/Talent.html

that's what you need for music :thumup:

haha, yeah people forget about that one sometimes :wink:

+ Reply to Thread