PDA

View Full Version : hax, frek, SOMEBODY help!

Terrick
10-15-2002, 09:01 PM
okay, so i formatted my hard drive a few weeks ago. Now i have windows 2000..no, that's not the bad part:)... I finally got cakewalk installed again. yes, frek, i know how much you hate it but i thought maybe you could still hope. so anyway:
Since i got windows 2000 all the instruments n stuff sound different. I liked my old sounds better. wtf happened here? I tried reinstalling my sound card drivers but it didn't do anything. I'm guessing it has something to do with these "output devices". I dunno much about that ish right now, so i'm askin' fo your help. Right now it's set to "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW synth", which means nothing to me at this point...
i'd really like my midis, though midis suck, to sound like they used to. Is there anything i can possibly do?

-E

atma
10-15-2002, 09:39 PM
so set the output of your midi track in cakewalk to your soundcards midi set instead of the windows one.

frEk
10-15-2002, 09:49 PM
what version of cakewalk anyway? the home studio stuff, or the sonar 2? the sonar 2 is pretty good, and you can use the dxi instruments, don't even bother with that general midi stuff

Cozmo D
10-16-2002, 05:21 PM
Damm...I sure wish I could get a copy of Sonar...(hint hint Atma) :rofl:

atma
10-16-2002, 05:32 PM
umm.. sonar isn't really uploaded anywhere, BUT you can join #audioappz on EFNET and download it from an automated server...

atma
10-16-2002, 05:33 PM
i'll get you sonar if you wanna burn and mail me me the 3 CD ISO of Reason :P

Cozmo D
10-16-2002, 06:30 PM
No Problemo!

pm me the addy. :wink:

frEk
10-16-2002, 07:35 PM
ok watta ya guys want for a bunch of vst stuff (native instruments especially)? :thumup: :rofl:

atma
10-16-2002, 08:19 PM
i'm telling you man, log onto EFNET on irc, enter the channel #audioappz, and download whatever you want, it's all there waiting for you. i have all the native instruments programs, but honestly it'd probably be faster if you just downloaded them yourself from a freeserver on irc, since i have a dialup connection, AND nowhere to really upload shit for you.

here's uh, absynth though:

http://www.hot.ee/absynth/

and here's all the waves plugins, which are essential plugins:

http://www.hot.ee/wavesbundle

atma
10-17-2002, 05:02 PM
coz i got sonar, where do you want me to put it?? it's about 13 mb or so..

Cozmo D
10-17-2002, 05:11 PM
Hahahahah!!!!

I just got it today myself Atma, but thanx yo! :rock:

If you really want those Reason CDs pm me with your address and I'll get em to ya pronto.

EZ
Coz

frEk
10-17-2002, 07:36 PM
what do these bundles do? the absynth is pretty dope, and that pro 53 is even doper

atma
10-17-2002, 08:21 PM
waves makes some of the highest quality studio fx. the gold bundle just has a ton of misc. fx like reverbs, compressors, etc. the mastering bundle has basically the nicest EQ's, multiband compressor and limiter you can find anywhere. the rennesainnce collection has a few vintage style fx, and the restoration bundle has tools for restoring audio, like cleaning up an old record, doing noise reduction, removing pops or clicks, etc.

they're just really standard high quality plugins. but the compressors are especially good, and the limiter, "L2" in the mastering bundle is really the sickest limiter for software you can get. the hardware version of it is a couple thousand dollars. and honestly, all those bundles together are worth a couple thousand if you were to buy them.

Terrick
10-17-2002, 09:07 PM
so set the output of your midi track in cakewalk to your soundcards midi set instead of the windows one.

i did. it no worky. When i do that there's no sound at all.

atma
10-17-2002, 09:28 PM
well, what GM sounds were you using before? what was the set called? was it a different microsoft one? that's the only thing that i can really think of, is you were using the microsoft GM set that came with your old operating system (whatever that was). and now since you have win2000, you've got the win2000 GM sound set.

if your soundcard has it's own GM set, you should have no problem selecting it and using it in your sequencer.

Terrick
10-18-2002, 03:18 PM
i'm pretty sure that's what happened. It was set to some microsoft one. I don't remember exactly what it was cuz i uninstalled it hopin' reinstallation would fix it, and i haven't reinstalled it yet.