PDA

View Full Version : List Your Top Ten Favorite Movies!

Louis85
12-20-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't think I can narrow this list to just 10. When you list them, consider how many times you can or have rewatched a movie. I will list my 10 later. (If no one replies, I'll just delete this post at the end of the week--if I can.)

I know I could revise this list over and over, but I'll stick with this for now.

1. Antwone Fisher.....................the movie that changed my life, period
2. Love & Basketball ..................love it, love it, love it (perfect flick)
3. The Champ..........................no movie has made me cry more, Makes everyone cry
4. Coach Carter.......................love it for so many reasons
5. Shawshank Redemption..........the perfect movie that got robbed at the Oscars
6. Big...................................Tom Hank's finest to me, I could watch everyday
7. The Sandlot ........................Innocent movie about friendship and love of a sport, could watch everyday
8. The Cure ...........................Brad Renfro's best movie before he died
9. Harlem Nights......................Funny and raunchy, too many black comedy legends in one movie
10. Snoopy Come Home.............Classic Peanuts movie that was sad with a happy ending

syxxpm
12-21-2010, 11:23 AM
in no particular order

1.jaws 3
2.southland tales
3.bram stokers dracula
4.final fantasy 7 advent children (blu ray edit)
5.scott pilgrim vs the world
6.blade runner
7.sixteen candles
8.hot shots
9.monty pythons the meaning of life...
10.ferris buellers day off

honorable mention ...the hunger

ChrisLDog
12-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Also in no particular order:

1. The Matrix
2. Contact
3. Dumb and Dumber
4. About a Boy
5. The Incredibles
6. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
7. Aladdin
8. The Bourne Identity (I don't know why I don't own this movie...)
9. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
10. ... I'll have to get back to this one...

Good question Louis!

Bonkman
12-22-2010, 12:56 AM
In no particular order here:

1. The Matrix
2. Career Opportunities
3, 4, 5. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy [Extended Editions]
6. Inception
7. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
8. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
9. Shawshank Redemption
10. Cast Away

All movies I can watch on a whim, at any time, anywhere.

ElizabethX
12-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Not necessarily in order:

1. I Heart Huckabees
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
4. Rocky Horror Picture Show
5. Little Women ('95)
6. Howl's Moving Castle
7. The Saint
8. What Dreams May Come
9. A Little Princess ('95)
10. Saw

Love that people listed The Shawshank Redemption. Great, great movie. Given the season I also really like It's a Wonderful Life pretty well, and want to give honorable mention to other movies that really affected me-- Hostel, and Sense and Sensibility. Oh, and Pretty In Pink. The Cell was beautifully done. Kung Pow, Anchorman... Hey, I should have done a top 25. :)

Hated Contact and The Lord of the Rings movies (<-- always put me to sleep without fail) >:)

ElizabethX
12-23-2010, 01:09 PM
I can't believe I forgot Swing Kids! Had to come back just to say that.

ChrisLDog
12-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Gaah! I forgot about Anchorman, Wedding Crashers and Old School! AND I Heart Huckabees!

Eternal Sunshine is up there, but maybe doesn't make my top 15... or maybe it does... I don't know, that movie's pretty awesome.

wendyful04
12-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Also in no particular order:

1. The Matrix
2. Contact
3. Dumb and Dumber
4. About a Boy
5. The Incredibles
6. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
7. Aladdin
8. The Bourne Identity (I don't know why I don't own this movie...)
9. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
10. ... I'll have to get back to this one...

Good question Louis!

Are you my kid?
I just watched About a Boy this week. Pretty nice.

wendyful04
12-23-2010, 03:31 PM
1. The Lost Boys
2. The Breakfast Club
3. Shaun of the Dead
4. Queen of the Damned
5. Smoke Signals
6. Practical Magic
7. Girl, Interrupted
8. Thirteen
9. Stigmata
10. The Great Outdoors

Honorable Mentions:
*Donnie Darko
*Club Paradise
*Throw Mama From the Train
*Anchorman
*Scarface
*Stepbrothers

Chief
12-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Maybe

wendyful04
12-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Maybe

Shut it, with your sexy pic

ChrisLDog
12-23-2010, 06:35 PM
About a Boy is my sick movie. Watch it when I'm sick and always feel better.

ElizabethX
12-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Wendy likes magic.

wendyful04
12-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Did you ever go to the Rocky Horror Picture Show in the theater, ElizabethX?

ElizabethX
12-25-2010, 02:32 PM
No, but I've thought about it. The reality though is I'm not really interested in watching people reenact stuff. It's not as good as the original movie cast. If I went it would also be just to live through the experience, like to be a character or something.

wendyful04
12-25-2010, 07:53 PM
They threw toilet paper and we drank beer. And people yelled.

ElizabethX
01-17-2011, 11:00 AM
2011.... firsties!!!

Louis85
01-18-2011, 11:07 AM
in no particular order

1.jaws 3
2.southland tales
3.bram stokers dracula
4.final fantasy 7 advent children (blu ray edit)
5.scott pilgrim vs the world
6.blade runner
7.sixteen candles
8.hot shots
9.monty pythons the meaning of life...
10.ferris buellers day off

honorable mention ...the hunger

I just "rented" Scott Pilgrim. That was a pretty good flick. And Ferris Bueler was excellent, too.

Mistress M
01-18-2011, 01:37 PM
No particular order:

1. Casablanca
2. Star Wars trilogy (the original one, not the abomination that shall never be talked about!)
3. Lord of the Rings Trilogy [extended editions]
4. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (am with syxx on this one, was amazing!)
5. Labyrinth
6. The Princess Bride
7. Kill Bill vol I and 2
8. A Lion in Winter
9. The 'Thin Man' movies (William Powell + Myrna Loy = magic!)
10. Amelie

xtristessax
01-24-2011, 05:03 AM
not sure i could figure out an order with ease.

Blue Velvet
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Donnie Darko
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Elizabeth
Lost In Translation
Wings of Desire
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
The Fountain
Brokeback Mountain

Pulp Fiction, The Princess Bride, The Shawshank Redemption, My Fair Lady, Stigmata, Dracula (1931), The Seventh Seal and Young Frankenstein get honorable mentions.

wendyful04
01-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Amelie was SWEET

Donnie Darko rules

Lost in Translation was lovely

ElizabethX
01-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Loved Rocky Horror, liked Elizabeth and The Fountain, Brokeback and Darko were okay.

Pulp Fiction was pretty good, used to love TPB as a kid, Shawshank is again, really a very good movie. :D

Kinda hated Blue Velvet and did not like Lost in Translation. Hated My Fair Lady as a kid.

:D

Mistress M
01-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Man, you guys are into really intense movies!!

Twisted.Mellow
01-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Donnie Darko was the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen. Even though it wasn't that long, it's three hours of my life I'll never get back, because I spent the next 3 quarters of an hour sitting on the couch in disbelief that someone would waste so much money getting such a big pile of shit made.

I FUCKING HATE movies that are made weird for the sake of being weird. It comes of as pretentious... and it (obviously) pisses me off.

Everyone tells me that I clearly just didn't "get" what the movie was trying to do. I understand the idea, I dislike the way it was done.

"HATED IT!"

wendyful04
01-31-2011, 12:41 PM
haha!
Why so serious?

ElizabethX
01-31-2011, 02:05 PM
lol Ian. I like weird movies, but I too dislike movies that seem weird for the sake of being weird. Part of the Donnie Darko thing for me was that I couldn't figure out *just* what they were trying to say, although I was sure there were some important messages in there, somewhere. :)

But I totally feel what you are saying, even if I didn't hate Donnie Darko as much as you. There are so many pretentious movies, for sure.

Twisted.Mellow
01-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Not sure why I get so worked up about this movie. It just gets me... well...

pissy.

[/RANT]

ChrisLDog
01-31-2011, 05:14 PM
I never saw Donnie Darko, but those were my thoughts about Primer. It was complicated just for the same of being complicated.

ElizabethX
01-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Ian, I get that way about David Lynch movies. :D

wendyful04
02-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I love Donnie Darko. I just do. I get that there are some elements that are just 'off' for the sake of it, but it's still an awesome movie.

Mistress M
02-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Ian, I get that way about David Lynch movies. :D

Hells yes! :rock:

Twisted.Mellow
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm not saying I want something as deep as, well, pick ANY recent Wayan's brothers movie, but I just can't get into movies that want to head fuck you for the sake of head fucking you.

ElizabethX
02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Mistress, are you anti-David Lynch movies also? Finding intelligent people who feel that way seems a rarity!

Mistress M
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I. hate. David. Lynch.

That's right, I said it.

"Twin Peaks" was o.k. But "Blue Velvet"? I've never looked at scissors the same way again.

The worst though, the WORST was "Eraserhead." I have never needed a movie to end, I mean PHYSICALLY NEEDED a movie to end like I needed that movie to end. After hours of crying cow fetuses and chipmunk women in radiators dancing on sperm, when they were doing the ending sequence of atomic bombs blowing up I was actually asking my friends: "Is it over yet? Are we there yet? This has got to be the ending, right? I mean this can't keep going...dude...is this the ending? is it over yet?" for FIFTEEN MORE MINUTES. Worst. Movie. Ever.

Twisted.Mellow
02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
The worst though, the WORST was "Eraserhead." I have never needed a movie to end, I mean PHYSICALLY NEEDED a movie to end like I needed that movie to end. After hours of crying cow fetuses and chipmunk women in radiators dancing on sperm, when they were doing the ending sequence of atomic bombs blowing up I was actually asking my friends: "Is it over yet? Are we there yet? This has got to be the ending, right? I mean this can't keep going...dude...is this the ending? is it over yet?" for FIFTEEN MORE MINUTES. Worst. Movie. Ever.

Wow... I didn't think I'd see one to top Donnie Darko, but THAT sounds like we might have a winner. Forgive me if I don't find out for myself.

wendyful04
02-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't know who the fuck David Lynch is, but thanks for the heads up. Fuck that mess.

Still love my stupid Donnie Darko

ElizabethX
02-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I can't waste any more hours of my life on David Lynch movies.

ChrisLDog
02-03-2011, 03:16 PM
I've only seen the Dune movie he made in 1984 (terrible) and Twin Peaks. Twin Peaks was great right up until

****SPOILER ALERT****

We find out who killed Laura.

After that it got boring.

Mistress M
02-03-2011, 06:38 PM
I've only seen the Dune movie he made in 1984 (terrible) and Twin Peaks. Twin Peaks was great right up until

****SPOILER ALERT****

We find out who killed Laura.

After that it got boring.

ZOMG - ZOMG!!!!!!!! He did DUNE?!?! Oh no WONDER I hate that fucking movie!!!! My hubby loves it, so I am sometiems subjected to it, but ugh. On the other hand, it's prolly the best thing Lynch has ever done...

I was ready to forgive even the fact that Twin Peaks went on and on and got weirder and weirder after we found out who killed Laura, but that movie? Trash. Just total, gratuitous trash. "My high school sandwich. Let's put some meat inside?" barf.

wendyful04
02-03-2011, 06:56 PM
You said "my hubby"!

: )~

oh yeaaahhhh

ChrisLDog
02-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Yep, he did Dune. If it had Kyle MacLachlan in it, it's probably a David Lynch movie...

Etherspin
02-13-2011, 02:27 AM
dune could be a nicely done series of movies now..

I have no top ten.. Chris Nolan flicks would occupy at least four spots if i did though.

I hate movies that are *anything* for the sake of it, be it weird or shocking/cool .. I can never objectively look at tarantino stuff cause if you put up a pulp fiction poster in your room at my high school it was like instant cred.. same reason I can't stand south park.. association with that wackness and try hardiness!

ElizabethX
02-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Although I did like Pulp Fiction, I totally get what you're saying!!!

Mistress M
02-14-2011, 01:23 PM
I liked Pulp Fiction, but I really felt that the Kill Bill series were probably some of the most amazing movies ever made. The cinematography - awesome. The fight scene choreography? Super awesome. The story line? completely original and compelling. It was everything I've ever lvoed about a graphic novel in a movie. I don't care if other people think ti is cool or not, it was a fucking amazing piece of cinema.

ElizabethX
02-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Most people think it's cool...

wendyful04
02-15-2011, 01:04 PM
no likey Kill Bill
no likey Pulp Fiction

Etherspin
02-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Mistress have you read Nemesis and if so , looking forward to the movie ?
lets see if they get sued by DC / warner bros.
also stuff like sandman , planetary and pluto (derivative of Osamu Tezuka's work) could be really awesome in movie form..

anyone read Katherine Kerr's Deverry series (novels)? I wonder if there is anyway they could be made into movies.. it would be very very hard but could be awesome. my fave fantasy stuff besides Tolkien

With the Tarantino stuff, the continuing theme to me seems to be that the coolness/likability of the main characters comes from how little they react in the face of destruction of human life or around cruelty/torture and how snide/sarcastic their one-liners can be.
I can live with blood thirsty characters in a context e.g. Dexter but perhaps Tarantinos stuff is just not for me :o)
enjoy.

dreamrib
02-15-2011, 04:25 PM
hmm thats an debatable question...
(not all in order)

1. Mannequin....This movie,i love my 80s but this was the best!
2. Beverly Hills Cop (yes the first one!)
3. Better Off Dead (one of John Cusack's finest films)
4.Pretty In Pink (i loved this movie and even got my own Duckie now)
5. Dream A Little Dream (yes, although i loved Corey Haim in this)
6. Some Kind of Wonderful
7. Wierd Science
8. Office Space
9. Napoleon Dynamite
10. Can't decide on the last one to go on, so i'll leave it til i decide

Mistress M
02-15-2011, 06:18 PM
I have not read nemesis, but I have read the sandman series -- have you seen Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere?

wendyful04
02-15-2011, 08:09 PM
hmm thats an debatable question...
(not all in order)

1. Mannequin....This movie,i love my 80s but this was the best!
2. Beverly Hills Cop (yes the first one!)
3. Better Off Dead (one of John Cusack's finest films)
4.Pretty In Pink (i loved this movie and even got my own Duckie now)
5. Dream A Little Dream (yes, although i loved Corey Haim in this)
6. Some Kind of Wonderful
7. Wierd Science
8. Office Space
9. Napoleon Dynamite
10. Can't decide on the last one to go on, so i'll leave it til i decide

I like all of your movies.
Maybe Big Trouble In Little China for #10? lol

Etherspin
02-16-2011, 01:32 AM
I have not read nemesis, but I have read the sandman series -- have you seen Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere?

I downloaded a copy at one point .. looked a bit low budget or dated , could still be here somewhere.. is it worth watching through ?

ElizabethX
02-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Tim, your assessment of Tarantino is fairly accurate, I would say (imho). It’s the societal desensitization to violence. In a way it IS cool, but I think this is coming from my perspective of valuing the ability to be tough or even nonchalant in the face of “terror”-- for lack of a better word. When one is coming from a dorkier, wannabe macho man kind of attitude, I tend to scoff at that Tarantinian (lol) category. I feel ya.

Loved Pretty in Pink and Dream a Little Dream (was all about Feldman, for me). Office Space was great but I saw it too much. Napoleon Dynamite I can’t help but love.

Twisted.Mellow
02-16-2011, 05:21 PM
I like all of your movies.
Maybe Big Trouble In Little China for #10? lol

ftw!

wendyful04
02-19-2011, 06:13 PM
ftw!

wha...?

Harmeister
02-19-2011, 10:39 PM
For the Win.

wendyful04
02-20-2011, 11:51 AM
fuck that wine
finish that weiner

Twisted.Mellow
02-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Fellate Thy Wang.

wendyful04
02-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Lol!!!!!!!!!!!

dreamrib
02-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Big trouble in little china, ahh funny one.

you know i was thinking about it, probably like The Mummy would be 10. its on all the time and i can't tell you how many times my hubby gets mad, its on again we've seen it 500 times, to which i reply 501 honey. hehe

anyone else like that? they put on the same movie over and over.

Sometimes it because its onl tv, but sometimes because you know you can put something on you already know because it can be more of a background noise. I like to do other stuff but feel i don't have to be glued to the tv to watch something.

ElizabethX
02-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I do that with certain movies. Sometimes for me, sometimes for the kids.

Lately the kids watch a lot of Iron Man, Spider-Man, Home Alone, and Seed of Chucky.

The other day I had A Little Princess on and when Josh walked in the room he was laughing at me.

dreamrib
02-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Teletoon Retro put on He-man, smurfs, she-ra, rainbow brite, snorks all the really good shows you dont' see on anymore. I don't get it anymore but when i'm visiting the in-laws i will sit and watch it.

Hubby always laugh when he catches me watchin them.