PDA

View Full Version : Star Track

Wheeljak
05-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Did you see it? What did you think?

Wheeljak
05-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Do y'all mean to tell me that I'm the only trekkie on this forum?

xtristessax
05-10-2009, 02:52 AM
i'm not sure people knew what you were talking about.

i know what 'star trek' is, but not 'star track'.

Harmeister
05-10-2009, 07:47 AM
I was camping with my boys this weekend and intend to take my wife to see it this coming weekend

wendyful04
05-10-2009, 08:49 AM

Yeah, that's weird. It's like calling Satan "Satin". :think:

Harmeister
05-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Yeah, that's weird. It's like calling Satan "Satin". :think:

They are both rather devilish, are they not? Or is that prada?

Wheeljak
05-10-2009, 10:24 AM

If you've never rolled your eyes at someone who thought it was called "Star Track," then you're probably not a trekkie.

Twisted.Mellow
05-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Star Trek. Gak. Never did anything for me...

xtristessax
05-10-2009, 09:26 PM
yeah don't roll my eyes too much over simple mistakes.

but the movie was AWESOME. i could have done without the nokia product placement and beastie boys car scene at the beginning, but that's really my only complaint.

xtristessax
05-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Star Trek. Gak. Never did anything for me...

TNG is awesome...Picard is THE MAN.

Wheeljak
05-11-2009, 01:36 AM
yeah don't roll my eyes too much over simple mistakes.

but the movie was AWESOME. i could have done without the nokia product placement and beastie boys car scene at the beginning, but that's really my only complaint.

I had no problem at all with the Nokia product placement; in fact, I thought it was great. It shows that in this revision of Star Trek, even though much is different, some things are still recognizable. I had more of a problem seeing a 300 year-old car still alive and kicking, than I did to hear that characteristic ringtone.

I still can't figure out what that canyon was doing in the middle of Iowa, though...

ChrisLDog
05-11-2009, 01:38 PM
I thought it was pretty good too, though they kind of copped out by creating a whole different time line. I guess they didn't want you to think it was possible for everyone to make it through the movie.

I also thought all the actors did a pretty convincing job of playing younger versions of the iconic characters.

[SPOILER]

What's the deal with Kirk becoming captain of the flagship (at the end of the movie I mean) without ever even being ensign, lieutenant, etc.? Seriously, how can that be justified??? "You were really brave there, Kirk. Here's our best ship! Thanks for coming out!"

ChrisLDog
05-11-2009, 01:44 PM

I concur!!! :rock:

I'm trying to watch DS9 right now, but it's kinda killing me. I'm in the middle of the 2nd season and a lot of the episodes suck. I figure I'll give it until the end of the 3rd season and if it doesn't pick up, I'll have to bail. Kristen or DJ, did you guys watch it? If so, do you guys think it's worth slogging through to get to some better parts?

Louis85
05-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Believe it or not, I still watch the reruns on Sci-Fi. I love it. TNG was the show that got me hooked on Star Trek in the first place. I think Data is my favorite character.

xtristessax
05-11-2009, 03:23 PM

I'm trying to watch DS9 right now, but it's kinda killing me. I'm in the middle of the 2nd season and a lot of the episodes suck. I figure I'll give it until the end of the 3rd season and if it doesn't pick up, I'll have to bail. Kristen or DJ, did you guys watch it? If so, do you guys think it's worth slogging through to get to some better parts?

no, just skip to the 3rd/4th seasons and you;ll still be alright. i think DS9 is Coz's favorite though.

Wheeljak
05-11-2009, 04:05 PM

You won't go wrong if you look at Sisko's head. If it's bald, it's a good season. If he has hair, prepare for a snooze-fest.

No... I can't say that it's all snooze-fest. There were some very good episodes in season 3. But season 4 and on were more consistent in their quality.

Wheeljak
05-11-2009, 04:07 PM

There... are.... FOUR... lights!!!!

ElizabethX
05-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm with Ian on this.

xtristessax
05-11-2009, 09:16 PM
There... are.... FOUR... lights!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_eSwq1ewsU

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cozmo D
05-11-2009, 10:08 PM
OK, had to bail right out of this thread since I haven't seen the fukkin movie yet! :mad:

Wheeljak
05-11-2009, 10:15 PM
OK, had to bail right out of this thread since I haven't seen the fukkin movie yet! :mad:
Don't worry 'bout it, Coz. Nobody's given anything away; the only stuff we've talked about that wasn't in the trailer is the product placement, and that's no spoiler.

Oh, and see it at an IMAX theater if you can.

Bonkman
05-12-2009, 06:42 PM
See it in a REAL IMAX theater...not one of those "digital IMAX" theaters. (Look up the issue on First Showing (http://www.firstshowing.net)

I loved the film...as did my wife (who is not much interested in Star Trek, in general).

Karl Urban as "Bones" was spot on. Even the wife mentioned it.

A great, entirely watchable Trek film.

Cozmo D
05-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Don't worry 'bout it, Coz. Nobody's given anything away; the only stuff we've talked about that wasn't in the trailer is the product placement, and that's no spoiler.

Oh, and see it at an IMAX theater if you can.

Oh, the bit about an alternate timeline is in the trailer? :mad:

Wheeljak
05-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Oh, the bit about an alternate timeline is in the trailer? :mad:
Who told you about an alternate timeline?

Harmeister
05-13-2009, 07:13 PM
It's in one of the posts above. I sort of glossed over it.

ChrisLDog
05-13-2009, 07:56 PM
That's my bad. I should have put the spoiler warning at the beginning of my post. Sorry!

Wheeljak
05-15-2009, 08:41 PM
There was a weekend update with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto from "Star Track". It was pretty good.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/72444/saturday-night-live-update-feature-star-trek

Doo-DooHead
05-24-2009, 03:39 AM
I Have not seen the movie yet, But I will say this. I loved the original series, I didn't care for TNG though I supported it because I Grew up on Wil Wheaton(stand by me) and Brent Spiner(Data, and the reverend in Tales from the darkside-A case of the stubborns- Ya know where the dead guy sneezes his nose off?) And the fact that they made Whoopi Goldberg Sexy, so I tried to Love it. But when they Killed Kirk in generations, I said fuck it! Its bad enough I Lost Spock and Optimus Prime before I was 15 years old, I don't need this crap! I hear the reboot is good, I'll check it out as soon as I pry my son out of my hands.

xtristessax
05-28-2009, 12:10 AM
yes! whoopi as Guinan was soooooo awesome.

Wheeljak
05-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Do y'all think that Picard and Guinan did it?
Speaking of "doin' it" on Star Trek, how is it that every alien race on there has genitals that are compatible with humans?

Etherspin
05-28-2009, 04:55 AM
cosmic seeding of course (no pun intended)

Wheeljak
05-28-2009, 12:27 PM
I Have not seen the movie yet, But I will say this. I loved the original series, I didn't care for TNG though I supported it because I Grew up on Wil Wheaton
I think Wil Wheaton is cool, but I always hated Wesley Crusher. The little freakin' boy genius, whom the captain allows onto the bridge to play with the deflector dish.
I loved this scene; I went "YEAHHHHH!!!!":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thK1MhvF_-U

Brent Spiner(Data, and the reverend in Tales from the darkside-A case of the stubborns- Ya know where the dead guy sneezes his nose off?)
My favorite Brent Spiner role (aside from Data) was Bob Wheeler from Night Court. Remember the rotten-luck hillbillies that were always arrested for something stupid? Here's one of his hilarious scenes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLvtoKZfxY

But when they Killed Kirk in generations, I said fuck it!
I didn't. I said, "Why is he still alive? This is supposed to be, like, 70 years later!"

xtristessax
05-30-2009, 02:27 AM
Do y'all think that Picard and Guinan did it?
Speaking of "doin' it" on Star Trek, how is it that every alien race on there has genitals that are compatible with humans?

Probably. and in First Contact, Picard has an intense friendship with a younger black woman. i think he's got a type.

Klingons are ribbed for her pain, lol.

Wheeljak
05-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Probably. and in First Contact, Picard has an intense friendship with a younger black woman. i think he's got a type.
Guinan and Cochran's assistant (I forget her name) were among the few people who were not afraid to give Picard a verbal pimp-slap when he needed one. The people in his crew were mostly intimidated by him, and a little bit of chutzpah was probably refreshing to him.

Klingons are ribbed for her pain, lol.Thanks for the mental image.

wendyful04
05-31-2009, 01:53 PM
you said chutzpah

Wheeljak
06-02-2009, 02:22 PM
you said chutzpah
Well, "balls" just doesn't sound right when referring to a woman. "Chutzpah" is free of the semantic baggage.
Pun unintended, but funny.

pmFan
06-05-2009, 07:15 PM
ha ha ... baggage...