PDA

View Full Version : The worlds oldest man gives the key to long life

Harmeister
09-18-2008, 08:44 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/japan_oldest_dc

Tanabe, recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the oldest living male last year, eats mostly vegetables and believes the key to longevity is not drinking alcohol.

ElizabethX
09-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Sounds righteous!

Brian221
09-19-2008, 06:52 PM
I call bullshit....

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3469/is_/ai_n12414135

Etherspin
09-20-2008, 04:45 AM

Obviously I agree !! :haha:

Harmeister
09-20-2008, 08:54 AM
I call bullshit....

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3469/is_/ai_n12414135

yeah, but he's only 111, the oldest dude is 113. Beer = bad

wendyful04
09-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Beer doesn't necessarily = bad.
That's like saying not eating meat is the key to longevity when one of my great-grandmothers, an avid steak-eater, lived to be 109. She was completely aware and active until about 107.

It's probably a combination of environmental factors, genetics, levels of stress and diet. If a good, dark beer gave the German centenarian great pleasure and he did not have too much of said good, dark beer, then it probably did contribute to his long ass life span.

Harmeister
09-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Beer doesn't necessarily = bad.
That's like saying not eating meat is the key to longevity when one of my great-grandmothers, an avid steak-eater, lived to be 109. She was completely aware and active until about 107.

It's probably a combination of environmental factors, genetics, levels of stress and diet. If a good, dark beer gave the German centenarian great pleasure and he did not have too much of said good, dark beer, then it probably did contribute to his long ass life span.

bla bla bla :p

beer=bad

Mistress M
09-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I think it's stress. In Italy, people often live to be over 100 and they smoke and drink and eat to a fare-thee-well. I think it's becuase they have a lower-stress lifesstyle (particularly in the countryside) that they are able to love so long.

Wheeljak
09-22-2008, 01:12 AM
yeah, but he's only 111, the oldest dude is 113. Beer = bad

So, abstaining from beer causes a person to be born two years earlier than people who drink?:think:

Twisted.Mellow
09-22-2008, 01:27 AM
So, abstaining from beer causes a person to be born two years earlier than people who drink?:think:

:D

Harmeister
09-22-2008, 05:50 AM
nope, it makes you miss out on those last two+ years.

ElizabethX
09-22-2008, 01:06 PM
bla bla bla :p

beer=bad

:clap:

Wheeljak
09-22-2008, 02:10 PM
nope, it makes you miss out on those last two+ years.

Dude, just take a look at a list of the world's oldest people. You'll find that teetotalers and vegetarians are a distinct minority in the supercentenarian club.

Etherspin
09-22-2008, 06:35 PM
while we're looking at data analysis and statistics lets first factor in that teetotallers and vegetarians are in the vast minority particularly in people in the western world and of over 80 years vintage due .. then see how much this goes up as a percentage in the oldies...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4287688.stm
dimona is always a statistical anomaly .. zero incidence of cancer or death from heart disease and Sar mentioned in the article is a friend of a friend (friends here who came out from dimona a couple of years ago) and is now 71 and doing the hundred metres in under 12 seconds..

Mistress M
09-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Wow! That was really fascinating.

Etherspin
09-22-2008, 08:42 PM
yeah ! I wanna go there and film a documentary!!

Wheeljak
09-22-2008, 09:37 PM
while we're looking at data analysis and statistics lets first factor in that teetotallers and vegetarians are in the vast minority particularly in people in the western world and of over 80 years vintage due .. then see how much this goes up as a percentage in the oldies...

If vegetarianism is as efficacious for longevity as you say that it is, and consumption of meat and alcohol is as detrimental to longevity as you say it is, the representation of vegetarians should be significant on that list regardless of the small number of vegetarians born in the 19th century. If you say that meat kills, those people on that list should have been dead long before they reached the century-mark. If you say that abstention from meat extends life, there should be some vegetarian standouts on the "World's Oldest" list, who outlived the people with generalist diets. But they didn't.
Let's face the facts: supercentenarians are meat-eaters, drinkers and (in many cases) smokers of tobacco or other plants.

As far as teetotaling, there are far more teetotalers in the world, than there are vegetarians, because several religions, including several sects of Christianity and all of Islam, forbid the consumption of alcoholic drinks.

There is one thing that you will see that they all abstain from, though, and that's emotional stress. Live a low-stress, life, and you're likely to live longer. Shoot, even if you don't, your quality of life will be much higher.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4287688.stm
dimona is always a statistical anomaly .. zero incidence of cancer or death from heart disease and Sar mentioned in the article is a friend of a friend (friends here who came out from dimona a couple of years ago) and is now 71 and doing the hundred metres in under 12 seconds..
That's a really cool story. I've never heard of that community. If you don't do a documentary about them, I hope someone does.

ElizabethX
09-23-2008, 02:12 PM
I will tend to agree that emotional stress is (the?) key... but I would say that people who've chosen to abstain from meat and alcohol are often also people who have chosen to pursue a more peaceful and less emotionally stressful path in life. IMHO.

Etherspin
09-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I see your points Jak,and stress and genetics are HUGE factors for everybody,generally the indicators of best health would be whats not likely to make you die early through cancer,stroke and heart disease at younger ages.
I'm quite stress free despite being in a profession that can burn people out (the behavioural stuff specifically) but about 70 years will have to pass before we can see the fruit of that!

Wheeljak
09-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Alfred E. Neuman's signature line is "What, me worry?" and thanks to his abstention from stress, he looks just as young as he did in his 1957 debut.
He's one of my heroes.

He's also an incorrigible smartass. :haha:

ElizabethX
09-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Yes, it is true that worry is absolutely useless.

Louis85
09-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Maybe it scares/numbs/bores you into doing the right thing?

Rumi_Philosophie
09-25-2008, 12:41 PM

Well there was an actor who lived to be 103 before he died and he lived his whole life smoking cigars and drinking hard liqour... I can't think of his name... Burns...

ElizabethX
09-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Maybe it scares/numbs/bores you into doing the right thing?

Maybe... but once you make a choice to do the right thing, there is no worry. If you consciously decide to try to do right in everything, there is no use for worry.

There is no use for worry because if you do not consciously decide to do right, then who cares? We think we do, we think the worrying signifies that. It's just fear and mental trauma. It doesn't achieve anything. WE achieve. Do we really need that kind of motivation? Do we want it?

Mistress M
09-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Well there was an actor who lived to be 103 before he died and he lived his whole life smoking cigars and drinking hard liqour... I can't think of his name... Burns...

:eek:

O.M.G.

RUMI??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I am so glad to see you!!!! I've missed you terribly, we've all missed you terribly -- stick around for while please! :buds:

Louis85
09-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Maybe... but once you make a choice to do the right thing, there is no worry. If you consciously decide to try to do right in everything, there is no use for worry.

There is no use for worry because if you do not consciously decide to do right, then who cares? We think we do, we think the worrying signifies that. It's just fear and mental trauma. It doesn't achieve anything. WE achieve. Do we really need that kind of motivation? Do we want it?

I use worrying to help me stay focused. The things that I worry about are the things that I want to eventually give my full attention. I will agree with you that sometimes it is a collosal waste of energy--like when you worry about stuff you can't control. I try not to worry about stuff I can't control. But the stuff that I can control and know I'm going to have to deal with will always make me worry. It's all about staying focused for me.

Cozmo D
09-26-2008, 06:05 AM

George Burns. Worked right up until his death too. Welcome back! :wave:

Cozmo D
09-26-2008, 06:10 AM
I use worrying to help me stay focused. The things that I worry about are the things that I want to eventually give my full attention. I will agree with you that sometimes it is a collosal waste of energy--like when you worry about stuff you can't control. I try not to worry about stuff I can't control. But the stuff that I can control and know I'm going to have to deal with will always make me worry. It's all about staying focused for me.

That sounds more like concern than worry to me. Worry tends to paralyze you to the point that it actually causes you to focus so much that you can't get things done. Concern means that you give extra attention to detail to make sure you get things done.

The way I look at it anyway. :idunno:

ElizabethX
09-26-2008, 01:33 PM

That sounds like transforming worry into change, to me. :)

wendyful04
09-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Worry is useless. Genuine concern, thinking, and planning are the key.

Worry = bad
it says so in The Bible

Louis85
09-26-2008, 04:32 PM
I guess what I'm saying is very intense concern then, but it sure seemed like worrying to me.

Etherspin
09-29-2008, 08:39 AM
That sounds more like concern than worry to me. Worry tends to paralyze you to the point that it actually causes you to focus so much that you can't get things done. Concern means that you give extra attention to detail to make sure you get things done.

The way I look at it anyway. :idunno:

cool - that was reminiscent (hope i chose that word correctly!!) you havent done that in a while, i think jealousy and envy were two that you explained the difference between!

ElizabethX
09-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah Louis.... I getcha. It's all just words anyway, and I think we all probably mean the same thing... some of us just don't like the word "worry" for what it signifies, to us. =)

Wheeljak
09-29-2008, 12:13 PM
When you're worried, your face will frown.
That will bring everybody down.

wendyful04
09-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Well, worrying is useless and pointless. It does nothing good and it creates stress.

Etherspin
10-16-2008, 04:11 PM
http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/005627.html
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitness/10/14/healthmag.alcohol.brain.shrinkage/

enjoy those beers !

Harmeister
10-16-2008, 04:46 PM
see, what'd I tell you? Beer=bad

Mistress M
10-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Jerry: Like when a man goes swimming... afterwards...

Elaine: It shrinks?

Jerry: Like a frightened turtle!

Elaine: Why does it shrink?

George: It just does.

Elaine: I don't know how you guys walk around with those things.

Cozmo D
10-16-2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/005627.html
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitness/10/14/healthmag.alcohol.brain.shrinkage/

enjoy those beers !

my wife likes beers,wines etc,

Do you constantly pester your wife about her drinking like this? Good luck with that.:cheers:

wendyful04
10-17-2008, 10:17 AM
I haven't drank any beer in over a month. I haven't even wanted any type of alcohol for a second.
But I wouldn't stop drinking alcohol because I was worried about my brain shrinking.

ElizabethX
10-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Well whatever, way to go Wendy!

Bonkman
10-17-2008, 09:29 PM
"...However, the study did not demonstrate that the smaller brain volume actually impaired memory or mental function, notes James Garbutt, M.D., professor of psychiatry at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

And the differences between brain volumes in drinkers and nondrinkers were quite small -- less than 1.5 percent between abstainers and heavy drinkers...."

And we humans are said to only use about 10% of our total brain capacity?

Is "...less than 1.5 percent..." cause for someone to say, "Oh my GOD! I should not be drinking any alcohol!"??? Hate to say it folks, but everything you eat, drink, and breathe is killing you. Plan to stop breathing soon?

Etherspin
10-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Do you constantly pester your wife about her drinking like this? Good luck with that.:cheers:

funnily enough I view discussion forums as forums for discussion, I showed Cath the article exactly once - she asked me where to find it cause she wants to read through it properly again ..

its just new information man! geez !
be informed , if it bothers you then stop drinking, if it doesnt , have another beer - i'd pass you one if you were at my party without batting an eyelid ! i actually seek out tasty beers and wines for Cath

there are subtle differences in my forum and real life persona! :p

ElizabethX
10-20-2008, 03:00 PM
That's where you and I differ, Tim. I would not be passing out the alcohol! :P

Etherspin
10-20-2008, 03:58 PM
hehe , really ? would you be drinking it yourself u mean or are u non alc ?
:D
either way , enjoy!

ElizabethX
10-21-2008, 12:08 PM
No.... I am non-alc... :confused:

Etherspin
10-22-2008, 01:44 AM
I dont know if i ever knew that :D

wendyful04
10-22-2008, 10:25 AM
so many labels
so little time

ElizabethX
10-24-2008, 12:40 PM
I dont know if i ever knew that :D

I've said that before, and I thought it was obvious from this thread? Oh well...

Wheeljak
10-24-2008, 01:38 PM
I've said that before, and I thought it was obvious from this thread? Oh well...
Don't listen to her. Liz is a boozehound, and the only reason she doesn't want other people to drink is so there will be more for her!
:drunk:
Don't be surprised if she names the baby Jacqueline Danielle...

ElizabethX
10-27-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't... oh.