PDA

View Full Version : Wii and Nintendo

dreamrib
04-06-2008, 08:15 PM
So my husbands birthday is next week and for our joint birthday we got lucky and found a wii. (Apparently Canada is also not a "happening" place to always get the latest technology).

I thought i'd love it, we always love playing it at friends, not as much but still a fun addition the gaming system. I tried Super Mario galaxy, i'm sorry but being about to run around a planet and lack of direction from all the 3-D i just gave up.

We have various systems but my favorite actually is my Super Nintendo. I can't explain it but dude i love Super Mario, all 3, and Dr Mario (tetris on in pill form-kicks ass)

We are next getting a wii card so I can put the Super Mario's on there...

Sometimes as much as it evolves you can't help but love that old stuff. I say that knowing we just got his parents an old Atari to play. Lol, I remembered the fun, not the 1-D game and 5 minute delay, but hey... I still love it.

Hero1
04-07-2008, 05:21 AM
thats why playing those old games on the ds is pretty kool! the snes was great though

Etherspin
04-07-2008, 05:30 AM
I just got mine - had to ring about 30 places to find and place a preorder for a few days.. i have wii play, wii sports and my word coach , all fun! im liking it - got mario bros 3 from the online store..
is the new paper mario a 2d platformer ?
also "new super mario bros" was pretty cool

Twisted.Mellow
04-07-2008, 06:02 AM
The new paper mario is apparently 2D that you can switch to 3D on-the-fly... sound kewl!

Louis85
04-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Lisa,

I know exactly what you mean. I still play (and LOVE) "Streets of Rage 2" on Sega Genesis. I always play as Blaze too. I love to watch her kick ass!

Louis

syxxpm
04-07-2008, 04:22 PM
to me the peak gaming period was nes-snes-ps1......

castlevania,contra,double dragon,ninja gaiden,final fight,street fighter 2, ,mortal kombat, and final fantasy (along with all of the sequels).......oh and all the wrestling games too...and mario 2 was my favorite...all hail king wart!

Brian221
04-07-2008, 04:56 PM
...syxx, you know mario 2 wasn't even really a mario game, right?

Etherspin
04-07-2008, 05:20 PM
yeah - rebadged tasty sacrilege that one !

Twisted.Mellow
04-07-2008, 06:43 PM

You can see footage of the original game on YouTube somewhere. They didn't even change the background artwork or the levels - I think the music is even the same. The only thing they changed was the characters. It was a rebadged version of some other game (the name escapes me). For me, the peak (home) video game period was the Mario/Sonic wars. The golden era for Arcade machines was definitely Street Fighter II.

ElizabethX
04-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I used to love Tetris. I used to play it at work to keep me calm and pass the time. It was a great tool.

Wheeljak
04-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Check out this new Wii game:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/superpiipii.html

Brian221
04-08-2008, 08:23 AM
You can see footage of the original game on YouTube somewhere. They didn't even change the background artwork or the levels - I think the music is even the same. The only thing they changed was the characters. It was a rebadged version of some other game (the name escapes me). For me, the peak (home) video game period was the Mario/Sonic wars. The golden era for Arcade machines was definitely Street Fighter II.

The game was called Doki Doki Panic. The real SuperMario 2 was released on SNES as "The Lost Levels" on the Super Mario All-Stars cart.

Twisted.Mellow
04-08-2008, 06:38 PM
The game was called Doki Doki Panic. The real SuperMario 2 was released on SNES as "The Lost Levels" on the Super Mario All-Stars cart.

That's right! I remember now... I have all of them on Emulator... that's some fun shit!

dreamrib
04-08-2008, 09:05 PM
i have Wii sports. right now, we rented Play, Super Mario Galaxy, and Bowling. You think bowling would be boring but its not, fun with a few people. right now everywhere here is out of Wii Play so we can get the additional remote with the game. i saw the word coach one but haven't tried it. I think i am going to get the points card to get Super mario 3.
I've been wanting to get super paper mario but havent made it that far yet. I want to rent it to make sure i like it. I have been playing super mario galaxy for a day and have gotten pretty far but damn thing is difficult. having to use seperate remotes for moving around and your actions. I am thinking i might punk out and get the remote thats made like the old controlers.
what do you guys think of super paper mario?
lol, i also got this one that is games, it has Ski-ball, hoops like from the arcade, darts, ping cup, and a few others. Different to play to say the least. it lets you collect tickets, although no prize. ohh yeah, we also rented Playground. HILARIOUS. you can play paper airplanes, soccer-volleyball, slot car racing, and my favorite tetherball. so funny.

AHhh the LOST Levels. I actually have that one. I have the combination of all 3 games and the lost levels. i didn't realize how hard the lost levels can be sometimes. Actually I will admit it, the only one since i started replaying after years I can't beat...Super mario 2. I so did NOT remember it being so hard.

Streets of Rage...good one!! I found my street fighter and ready for it...dah dah dum... Mortal Kombat. I freakin loved that game. Now, erik has an xbox so i got it for that to, and not as fun the newer. I like the old ones.

ROFL, when i first started playing the lost levels i actually went on youtube to see how to beat the koopa levels that you have mazes for. Also the cheats so i can get free men and extra lives. i admit if it wasn't for the net either i wouldn't have gotten as far on super mario galaxy.

i agree, gaming rocked in the days beteen NES to PS1.

wendyful04
04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I watched someone play the old Donkey Kong Country today.
I really like that shittttttt.

pmFan
04-09-2008, 12:23 AM
We got a Wii after Christmas - we like it a lot! At home, it's me, Amy, and the two girls (almost 4yo and 6 1/2 yo). The kids love Wii Sports - especially bowling and golf. Emily (my oldest) just learned how to do tennis in Wii Sports. We have two controllers and two nunchucks, so we can do 2 on two at most for now. That seems to be plenty.

For the kids we also got the carnival games - many are quite fun - plus you earn tickets/prizes. I picked up the Links cross bow training game with the crossbow attachment - it is fun - and hard!

A friend at work told me about the console games. You can see all of the console games online - bunches of them! I picked up a couple of the console controllers. I saw that the Wii cards sell at many places for over $20 for 2000 points (some as much as $24). TIP: you can use your Wii to go online and get 2000 points for $20 even with a credit card! I got 3000 points and got Galaga, Super Mario 3 and Donkey Kong Country. I taught Emily Galaga!

Fun, Fun, Fun! :p:p:p:p

syxxpm
04-09-2008, 07:31 PM

yeah its doki doki panic and the original guy is a turban in a mustache...

maybe thats why i like it the most....:P

Hero1
04-10-2008, 06:29 AM
whens mario kart for the wii out?

Wheeljak
04-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Street Fighter II was practically a religion among my friends back in '91. We probably spent more time and money at the student union playing that game than we did doing anything else.
Then, in summer '92, the SNES version came out. I ended up buying several games for the SNES, but SFII was the reason that I bought it in the first place. That is still, in my opinion, the best arcade-to-home translation of a game, ever. A lot of love went into that cart. That year, my friends moved from the student union to my dorm room. Some guy down the hall had the Genesis version of SFII, and that's why he was a tool. :haha:
We saved a lot of money that year, but we spent even more time playing video games than we had before. There's no wonder that I didn't get no play in college; I was so busy with my control pad, that I forgot all about my joystick.

Brian221
04-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Street Fighter II was practically a religion among my friends back in '91.

I take it you've seen this then....
Street Fighter 4 (http://www.gamespot.com/arcade/action/streetfighteriv/index.html?tag=result;title;0)

Wheeljak
04-10-2008, 04:30 PM
I take it you've seen this then....
Street Fighter 4 (http://www.gamespot.com/arcade/action/streetfighteriv/index.html?tag=result;title;0)
No, I haven't. Thanks for telling me about it, though. The graphics are nothing short of beautiful, and it looks like all of the original gang is in it! I hope that, even though it's a 3d game, that it still plays in the old 2d format. I never was a fan of the Virtua Fighters and Tekkens.

Twisted.Mellow
04-10-2008, 06:41 PM
I dunno if I got this from here, so I may be repeating myself, but check these out:

http://www.collegehumor.com/tag:streetfighterthelateryears

Wheeljak
04-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I dunno if I got this from here, so I may be repeating myself, but check these out:

http://www.collegehumor.com/tag:streetfighterthelateryears

I remember that; it was pretty good for a fan film. However, it kind of ticked me off that they couldn't pronounce Zangief and Ryu. Nothing sounds stupider than making the name of the story's hero sound like something that you put smoked turkey on.

STANLEY C. TAYLOR
04-15-2008, 02:18 AM
We tried out the we at Bible class on Wednesday. My mom saw how much fun we were having, now she wants on. It's good exercise

dreamrib
04-17-2008, 05:40 PM
So update on my Wii progress. We rented a bunch of games, AMF bowling, playground, super mario galaxy, and super paper mario. well lets say paper mario...a lot of thinking and Tons of reading. If it wasn't for the net I wouldn't have gotten anywhere on Galaxy but not half bad.

I did get points and so far we downloaded Wrecking Ball, apparently the "original" mario, super mario world-which i had never played before, and super mario 3. I realized how spoiled I was. I have been playing all Super mario's for the last month on my SNES, i have the all stars one with all the worlds and lost world. playing it on wii, its almost boring with the blah colors but original is original. Its nice but you can't get the extras you can if you are playing it on SNES.

I do like Wii for being intereactive with stuff, keeps all of us playing and having fun. I haven't fallen into many games that i love yet for the wii.

Hero1
04-19-2008, 01:38 AM
thats the problem with the wii.. no good games.. thankfully Sam & Max is coming to the Wii:

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=us/3-0&fp=480963b90c67059c&ei=rYcJSLHBJKWeqwPJ6PSgBA&url=http%3A//www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52071&cid=0&usg=AFrqEzeEjzU5v78uT8-iCFsl0sVYiwjFcg

Etherspin
04-20-2008, 06:13 AM
WTF mortal kombat vs DC comics characters !??!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36454

STANLEY C. TAYLOR
04-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Now that would be a game I would love to play.

Imagine Superman vs. Rayden, Wonder Woman vs. Kitana, Batman vs. Liu Kang, Robin vs. Johnny Cage, Shao Khan vs Darkseid, Sub Zero vs .... See the possiblities are forming down the block. I was shocked to read that there may be no fatalities, but card is always subject to change. If you like Marvel vs Capcom, or Marvel vs Street Fighter, how can you not look forward to this one. Let's hope it comes out much better than MK3.

Hero1
04-22-2008, 05:42 PM
liu kang vs batman would be pretty kool... FIGHT!!!

Etherspin
04-23-2008, 06:52 AM
yes kool with a K indeed !! :D

ElizabethX
04-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Well thank god video games are challenging kids (and adults) to do a little reading.

STANLEY C. TAYLOR
04-23-2008, 10:44 PM
And writing. In fact a friend of mine is a Warcraft fanatic. He tells me that it's a good way to plan strategy (stragety, excuse me) when one prepare for war. Another reason why the George W Bush Administration sucks.

wendyful04
04-24-2008, 09:14 AM
I still play Tetris and Ms Pacman. I like to become numb when I play video games. I don't like all those adventure-type games that other people love. Spider Solitaire is a good stress-buster, too.

Etherspin
04-26-2008, 07:42 PM
got big brain and word coach for wii - the fun continues and cath and i love to take each other on and update our daily quotas..

mario kart and wii fit next

STANLEY C. TAYLOR
04-27-2008, 07:56 PM
I still play Tetris and Ms Pacman. I like to become numb when I play video games. I don't like all those adventure-type games that other people love. Spider Solitaire is a good stress-buster, too.

You and my mom would be good company, Miss Wendy. (NOTE: You should read your name using Captain Hook's voice.)

Etherspin
04-29-2008, 01:16 AM
tim, mario kart has been out about a week - a few people at work have it.
mixed reviews, they lost the two characters on each kart,lost the individual character powerups from double dash and the rubberband AI/handicapping is in full effect but the tracks are supposed to be the best yet