eternals layre
07-23-2007, 11:24 AM
New thread here.
For different area delights
from grits to vegemite

eternals layre
07-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Grits

My son and family liked them. I grew up on them but I lost the taste for them.
Im sure theres a few people that have never had or heard about them.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the corn-based Southern U.S. food; for other meanings, see Grit (disambiguation).

Grits is a type of corn porridge and a food common in the Southern United States consisting of coarsely ground corn. This is similar to many other thick maize-based porridges from around the world such as polenta. It also has a lesser resemblance to farina, a thinner porridge.

Hominy grits is another term for grits, but explicitly refers to grits made from nixtamalized corn, or hominy.

Traditionally the maize for grits is ground by a stone mill. The results are passed through screens, with the finer part being corn meal, and the coarser being grits. Many communities in the Southern U.S. used a gristmill up until the mid-20th century, with families bringing their own corn to be ground, and the miller retaining a portion of the corn for his fee. In South Carolina, state law requires grits and corn meal to be enriched, similar to the requirements for flour, unless the grits are ground from corn where the miller keeps part of the product for his fee.

Three-quarters of grits sold in the United States is sold in the "grits belt" stretching from Louisiana to North Carolina. South Carolina declared grits its state food in 1973, writing, "Whereas, throughout its history, the South has relished its grits, making them a symbol of its diet, its customs, its humor, and its hospitality, and whereas, every community in the State of South Carolina used to be the site of a grits mill and every local economy in the State used to be dependent on its product; and whereas, grits has been a part of the life of every South Carolinian of whatever race, background, gender, and income; and whereas, grits could very well play a vital role in the future of not only this State, but also the world, if as The Charleston News and Courier proclaimed in 1952: 'An inexpensive, simple, and thoroughly digestible food, [grits] should be made popular throughout the world. Given enough of it, the inhabitants of planet Earth would have nothing to fight about. A man full of [grits] is a man of peace.'

The word "grits" comes from Old English grytta meaning a coarse meal of any kind. Yellow grits include the whole kernel, while white grits use hulled kernels. Grits is prepared by simply boiling into a porridge; normally it is boiled until enough water evaporates to leave it semi-solid. It is traditionally served during breakfast, but can be used at any meal. In some circles, grits are referred to as "Georgia ice cream".

eternals layre
07-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Drinks we have in the south that others may not
Cheerwine hmm odd one but damn i love it.
dr enuf herbal energy drink
sundrop: kinda like mtdew but made with orange juice and contains pulp

Chief does your wife keep you in southern cookin?

Louis85
07-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I guess our region (Pittsburgh area) is famous for the steak salad (supposedly, started in my hometown). What makes it special is that it contains real steak and french fries right in the salad.

Plus, in our area, we have a Primanti Bros. sandwich that has fries and a unique cole slaw on the sandwich. Poeple who come from out of town find both these dishes kind of odd. French fries as a topping, you gotta luv it. mmmm.

Chief
07-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Actually Brian, Im the cook of the house. Wifey doesnt cook much. I guess my area is known for being the home of John Deere. I dont really recall being known for any particular food of any kind. Only thing, like I stated before, is the Biscuits n Gravy and Cinnamon Rolls produced by a local restaurant here. Been recognized for years as one of the Nation's best (or so their ads say). Catfish is in abundance also, but I assume it is just about everywhere. If I think of anything, I will post it.

On a side note, I laugh my ass off when relatives come to the area and are amazed with tractors driving on the roads. How do you suppose they get to their fields ya dumbasses.... LOL. Love it also when they want to go pick the corn off the stock in the field across the way. I tell them go right the hell ahead, not telling them that it is either seed/feed corn. Totally different than the other. Harder than shit even after cooking........

wendyful04
07-23-2007, 07:14 PM
In Miami, there are so many different cultures, it's hard to start mentioning 'regional fixins'. One thing that many of the cultures around here often have is some sort of soup or stew.

Like Sancocho, a latino favorite, which has various meats and root vegetables. Every country has a different way of preparing it, and it's ALWAYS delicious and time-consuming to make. The best one (for me) is one that has plantain dumplings and diced lamb (amongst the other meats). That's the Puerto Rican version.

There's also beef stew, which is popular in West Indian culture.

There's conch chowder, which comes from the Bahamas.

There's the different variations of chicken soup from Jamaican chicken foot soup to matzo ball soup all the way through to the very yellow Cuban and Dominican chicken soups.

mmmmm
me's hungry

Twisted.Mellow
07-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Australia is a bit of a cultural "mixed bag" too, so it's very hard to define our national chow - however, I guess the key things that would be defining for "Ozzies" would be:

Meat Pie - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_meat_pie
Not for Tim of course, but the general idea is that we eat this whilst watching football, and generally eat it at "scoff down" temperature - ie. luke warm so you can eat it in three or four mouthfuls. The term "Meat" is usually used loosely, as the last ruling by the food governing board was that, to be a meat pie, the pie had to contain at least 15% meat. The rest it seems, is a bit of a luck dip...

Fish & Chips - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips
A personal favourite of mine - nothing beats getting fish and chips and eating them in a park or at the beach. Battered & fried pieces of fish served with lemon or tartare sauce, and some hot chips on the side. Maybe, if you're hungry, a couple of potato cakes (flat discs of potato battered and fried).

Lamingtons - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamington
Square pieces of sponge cake covered in chocolate sauce and dipped in dessicated coconut. Don't go much for 'em myself.

Pavlova - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlova_%28food%29
Meringue based dessert - a bit like a cake I guess, involves beating the shit out of egg whites and dumping tonnes of fruit on top.

Dame Edna Everage - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dame_edna
Of course, she's not food, but you can't mention lamingtons and pavlovas without mention Dame Edna.

F*cking hilarious to alot of Aussies, she's just plain f*cking odd to alot of the world.

And she's actually a bloke in drag.

ChrisLDog
07-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Lamingtons - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamington
Square pieces of sponge cake covered in chocolate sauce and dipped in dessicated coconut. Don't go much for 'em myself.

Funny, that's the one that sounds the best to me.

As far as regional food from around here, there's not much unless you count Mexican food. But as far as I know it's not much different from the Mexican food anywhere else...

Mistress M
07-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Where I grew up it was apples. Before NY decided to hate farmers, allowing states like Washington to take over, upstate NY was apple country.

So the regional fixins were cider, and weird varieties of apples that different farmers would cross breed that you couldn't get anywhere else -- like a hybrid apple that was pink inside, or green macintosh.

Oh, and salt potatos. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_potatoes

Etherspin
07-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Funny, that's the one that sounds the best to me.

As far as regional food from around here, there's not much unless you count Mexican food. But as far as I know it's not much different from the Mexican food anywhere else...
yeah a lamington can be good and they come in strawberry variety too.. the moister the choc coating/syrup the better..

Etherspin
07-24-2007, 05:31 PM
dim sims were my favourite carnivore food - found the vege version just recently ..
cabbage,pork, not even sure what else in a white dough - steamed and with soy sauce or deep fried so the outer coating dough goes crispy and yellow - its a supposedly chinese style dish invented in australia ( I couldnt understand why the chinese restaurants in england looked at me strangely when i asked for them)

Twisted.Mellow
07-24-2007, 06:48 PM
The dim sim *IS* kind of a chinese invention, but it's a variation on chinese dumpling. People often confuse dim sim with dim sum - which is yum cha, a whole meal, not a small item. Dim Sims are commonly known for their questionable ingredients - you never know what's in them!!

By far my favorite food is chinese - BBQ pork (char sui), san choi bau (mince pork fried up with spring onions and spices, served wrapped in a lettuce leaf with a bit of oyster sauce - Y.U.M.) - traditional satay, steam boat - f*ck I could go on for ages.

My family have alot of chinese friends, and we always got invited around for dinner. They would cook HUGE meals - plates and plates of food that covered the whole table and nowhere to put your bowl...

Now I'm f*cking hungry!!!!

Twisted.Mellow
07-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Where I grew up it was apples. Before NY decided to hate farmers, allowing states like Washington to take over, upstate NY was apple country.

So the regional fixins were cider, and weird varieties of apples that different farmers would cross breed that you couldn't get anywhere else -- like a hybrid apple that was pink inside, or green macintosh.

Salt Potatoes sound interesting - I'd like to try them...

Twisted.Mellow
07-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Favorite international foods in order:
Chinese (traditional)
Thai (westernised versions)
Spanish (traditional)
Mexican (westernised versions)
Indian (westernised versions)

wendyful04
07-24-2007, 07:14 PM

I am going to try and cook those salt potatoes! Funny, I love the smell of cooked potatoes, but I can only stomach fries and mashed potatoes with HEAVY gravy.

wendyful04
07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
My favorite international foods, in order, are:

Cuban (Cuban version)
Japanese (sushi version, super RAW)
Mexican (especially seafood)
American (typical American fare)
Spicy (this applies to many types of foods.....Spicy makes it an adventure)

Twisted.Mellow
07-24-2007, 08:54 PM
My favorite international foods, in order, are:

Cuban (Cuban version)
Japanese (sushi version, super RAW)
Mexican (especially seafood)
American (typical American fare)
Spicy (this applies to many types of foods.....Spicy makes it an adventure)

Don't go much for seafood - only eat the chicken sushi and even then don't go much for it. Just can't go raw fish.

Pizza is another favorite - not americanised pizza though - the proper pizza you get from an italian eateria...

wendyful04
07-24-2007, 10:25 PM
never heard of chicken sushi

Twisted.Mellow
07-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah - don't think it's authentic japanese product - but the chicken *IS* cooked :D

wendyful04
07-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Grits

I like my grits with a good deal of butter (screw margarine), a little bit of salt (for texture), and lots of black pepper.
I like the way they slide on the tongue and harden really quickly.
:eek:

Twisted.Mellow
07-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Why oh why must we folk pollute innocent threads about food with indiscrete innuendo?

That said, I do like seafood tacos...

ElizabethX
07-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Favorite international foods in order:
Chinese (traditional)
Thai (westernised versions)
Spanish (traditional)
Mexican (westernised versions)
Indian (westernised versions)

I hate those eastern versions of Mexican food. :haha:

ElizabethX
07-26-2007, 12:58 AM
Why oh why must we folk pollute innocent threads about food with indiscrete innuendo?

That said, I do like seafood tacos...

You disgust me and I will end you.

Twisted.Mellow
07-26-2007, 01:53 AM
I hate those eastern versions of Mexican food. :haha:

You knew what I meant :p

Twisted.Mellow
07-26-2007, 01:56 AM
You disgust me and I will end you.

:lick: :D

Louis85
07-26-2007, 02:23 PM
My ethnic food preference order (assume all western versions, I guess?):

Chinese
Indian
Mexican
Cuban
Spanish
Thai
Japanese (but never sushi)

ElizabethX
08-07-2007, 11:49 PM
:lick: :D

:blastem: :p

ElizabethX
08-07-2007, 11:50 PM
My favorites are pretty much Chinese, Italian, and American.