PDA

View Full Version : Holographic Versatile Discs

Terrick
01-10-2007, 02:32 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

Specifically: "These discs have the capacity to hold up to 3.9 terabytes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terabyte) (TB) of information"

That's cool and stuff, but why would you want a 3.9TB disc? Unless they create unscratchable surfaces too. And think of the time it would take to burn one at full capacity. I hope they're inventing super HVD writers too. I'm sure one disc would cost hundreds of dollars since a 1TB hard drive is currently around $500.

Etherspin
01-10-2007, 06:39 PM
3.9tb disc.. of course we want them.. yes theres the scratch issue..

dont count on having a drive anytime soon.

HD/blu ray is BS .. wish they had held off, had a bigger capacity unified format that had enough space to fit a season of a tv show on a single disc in 1080p

stupid boxsets taking chunks of my personal space outta the house..

Cozmo D
01-12-2007, 01:37 PM
You may not want one now, but you will...

Etherspin
01-12-2007, 06:19 PM
personally.. im more excited bout those solid state drives (think sandisk has the first one) 32gb.. once they get bigger and get used with standard HDD, then theres the HDD platters of foil thickness..
+
multiple cores..
looking good.

Wheeljak
01-12-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm still mad that the audio DVD was never popularized. I would love to have a whole CD box set on one disc. CDs are nice, but in the car, they can be a pain.

Etherspin
01-12-2007, 08:48 PM
absolutely,if you collect any form of media, space is as much of an issue as quality

pmFan
01-15-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm still mad that the audio DVD was never popularized. I would love to have a whole CD box set on one disc. CDs are nice, but in the car, they can be a pain.
Totally agree with that! I was looking for a new deck for my car and I only saw 1 that plays DVDs - at $500! It's just a stinkin DVD player! Not much different than a CD player that plays mp3 and wma files - interpreted like a pc. Not much difference in cost for cd player vs. dvd player for your PC - should not be that different in a car deck...

BTW, 3.9TB would be great for large data archivals 9like at my work), but the time it would take to write it might make it impractical...