PDA

View Full Version : Me Phi Me (P.M. Dawn alternative?)

TrEEtheRealest
11-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Recently, I ran across an artist from the 90s called "Me Phi Me". As far as I know, there has only been one album released in 1992. It's positive hip hop, but it's also very original. It reminds me of P.M. Dawn. With rapping, singing, positive feel, and no limits. In my opinion, the verses and lyrics are not as good as P.M. Dawn. However, I think the instrumentals are better than any post-Jesus Wept albums. This is pretty timeless stuff, and maybe it can entertain some of you (especially people into the older P.M. Dawn) until the new P.M. Dawn albums come out.

You can get them cheap and listen to samples at amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/One-Me-Phi/dp/B000008IC2/sr=8-1/qid=1164485346/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5177167-9715241?ie=UTF8&s=music

Wheeljak
11-25-2006, 07:39 PM
I remember him; I was never too impressed with his stuff, but the cover photo on his debut album was pretty cool.
Last I heard from him was from the soundtrack for the movie Strange Days. He did a song that didn't make the final cut in the movie, but was on the CD. You can probably find it on P2P, it's called "Here We Come".
I think you'll like it, Tree.;)

TrEEtheRealest
11-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Thanks Wheeljack. I haven't heard the Strange Days soundtrack, but I also know there is a great Deep Forest song on there.

Tshaw
11-26-2006, 01:49 AM
I bought his album when it first came out in 1992 I still listen to it now.
I love it!

Tshaw
11-26-2006, 02:13 AM
He does have his own website at www.mephime.com
It has a free mp3 download of his song Ghetto Boy.

Louis85
11-26-2006, 09:26 AM
I have this CD too (titled "One"). I listen to it every once in a while. I like it but nothing about it is better than PM Dawn to me.

And yes the cover and other artwork on the CD were pretty unique. The best cut on the album is the duet he does with Michael Franks, "Where are you going?" I wait for this track, which is the last full song of course.

DJ Detroit Butcher
12-04-2006, 05:55 PM
The best cut on the album is the duet he does with Michael Franks, "Where are you going?" I wait for this track, which is the last full song of course.

I need more spearhead and disposable heroes of hiphopcracy

Louis85
12-05-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't understand what you meant by that, Samedeep

Wheeljak
12-05-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't understand what you meant by that, Samedeep

Spearhead and Disposable Heroes of Hiphopracy are two indie music outfits that Michael Franti has fronted. Of the stuff I've heard, I'm not too impressed by them musically, but Franti's lyrics are often very interesting and thought-provoking.

DJ Detroit Butcher
12-06-2006, 01:37 AM
Spearhead and Disposable Heroes of Hiphopracy are two indie music outfits that Michael Franti has fronted. Of the stuff I've heard, I'm not too impressed by them musically, but Franti's lyrics are often very interesting and thought-provoking.

Exactly, Jak. Louis said Michael FRANKS, and I got confused. Nevermind. :think:

Hero1
12-06-2006, 01:49 AM

Michael frantis great.. spearhead - home is a fantastic album which i like more and more each year.. (piece of piece, caught without an umbrella, positive, hole in the bucket->incredible!) stay human is another great album..

Louis85
12-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Exactly, Jak. Louis said Michael FRANKS, and I got confused. Nevermind. :think:

i c.

DJ Detroit Butcher
12-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Michael frantis great.. spearhead - home is a fantastic album which i like more and more each year.. (piece of piece, caught without an umbrella, positive, hole in the bucket->incredible!) stay human is another great album..

Hell yeah Hero, those are great albums. :rock::clap:

TrEEtheRealest
12-06-2006, 03:24 PM
I have Disposable Heroes of Hiphopracy album. I didn't know one of the guys was in Spearhead. It's interesting that they sample the Dead Kennedys and thank Meat Beat Manifesto. That always impressed me.