PDA

View Full Version : r.i.p. syd barrett (1946-2006)

syxxpm
07-12-2006, 02:17 PM
former originator of pinkfloyd and lunatic fringe folk singer roger keith(syd)barrett died of diabetes complications....

saddly he is known more for being the first rockstar to succumb to mental illness than he is for his offbeat lyrical phrasings..

after forming pinkfloyd in 1965 and writing words and music to 95% of their 1967 debut album "piper at the gates of dawn"

syd after a few unsuccesful singles and sessions later...flaked out and after many inicidents of going catatonic on stage was ousted by the group he created...

after an unsuccesful attempt at a solo career (two albums ....the madcap laughs and barrett both released in 1970)

he finally shunned the spotlight living in and out of institutions and his cambridge home with his parents...spending his days painting and his nights watching television syd led an ideal quiet exsistance until his death....

possibly the first ever psychedelic rockstar (pinkfloyd were gigging back when the beatles were singing HELP!)the myth and legend of syd will be explored and dissected for years to come.....

all three of pink floyds big albums were based on syds mental collapse and influence (darkside of the moon/wish you where here/ the wall)

and in the tribute of the band itself...."shine on you crazy diamond"

with only five albums to his credit...the original underground psyhcedelic folk singer lives on

1.piper at the gates of dawn 1967
2.a saucerful of secrets 1968
3. the madcap laughs 1970
4.barrett 1970
5. opel 1988- (rarities and unreleased comp)

LumtheMad
07-13-2006, 01:29 AM
He's another one of those artist's where you mention their passing and folks are like WHO? I enjoyed his solo work and the first Floyd album. He had a very distinct voice. He's oddball lyrics also touched a chord with me....(go figure)

syxxpm
07-13-2006, 07:22 PM
did you get a kick out of ephervescing elephant?

i was trying to learn all the words for days...ditto for love you(i scream scuse me i saw you looking good the other evening)

LumtheMad
07-13-2006, 08:39 PM
I can safely say dear sir i don't make a habit of kicking an exfoliating elephant! I am terrible with song titles....I sang write along with what you wrote on love you though!

A good sound alikey sort of artist is Lone Pigeon. I guess he's also a bit of a kook.

Mistress M
07-14-2006, 04:56 PM
I liked his stuff too. It's too bad he had such a debilitating disease.