PDA

View Full Version : Prince 3121

Mistress M
03-24-2006, 01:53 AM
Ok, I just got this album and it is really impressive. Has kind of a Latin influence, but it's the old-skool funky Prince.

I could have lived without "The Word" (if you're going to try to save my soul, at least do it to a less-than-deathly-dull tune), and I wasn't thrilled by "Te Amo Corazon." The rest were either brilliant, or good enough to listen to again. Overall, I think it's a damn fine product. :rock:

sdldawn
03-27-2006, 01:38 AM
Didn't dig it.. He needs a producer..

And "The Word" to me, is one of the best songs on the album..

a lot of cheesy moments on this joint... Wish he would consider using some decent instrumentation.. Sounds like he is rushing his products these days..

sdldawn
03-27-2006, 02:34 AM
I tried my best to listen to this cd without much expectation... I just wanted to hear some good music.. and there is some on this cd.. I just kept reading review after review.. and they talked like this new cd was made out of gold... most of the stuff I heard about the album was not true at all... but this is really good radio format stuff.. he should do well, and at least grab a number one spot in album sales since nothing else is out to compete against it.

Brian221
03-27-2006, 11:15 AM
a lot of cheesy moments on this joint...

I can't believe you just said that about a Prince album!!!!
But for once I agree with you 100%...some decent moments on this disc...not enough for me to consider buyin' it though.

Wheeljak
03-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Man, these reviews are disappointing. I really liked Musicology...
I hear that Best Buy is selling 3121 for $9.95, but considering these reviews, I may wait until it gets to my favorite used music store.

sdldawn
03-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Man, these reviews are disappointing. I really liked Musicology...
I hear that Best Buy is selling 3121 for $9.95, but considering these reviews, I may wait until it gets to my favorite used music store.

Honestly.. if u dig Musicology.. you'll probably end up enjoyin this disk..

I for one (besides Reflection).. think Musicology is crap.

Prince formatted this album in the same way he did musicology...

Thats a heep of talent that shines when he plays live.. too bad it doesn't reflect his studio material these days..

Wheeljak
03-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Are you sure that you're not expecting too much of a Prince album? It's pretty much the way things are that if you buy a Prince album, then it's not a good idea to expect all the tracks to be good (or in the past decade, to expect most of the tracks to be good). When there are three or four solid jams on a post- O+> album, I consider it to be a decent album. I spent 40 bucks on Crystal Ball back in the 90s, and I didn't like a single song on the whole three-disc set!

sdldawn
03-27-2006, 06:04 PM
well.. I honestly wanted just to hear some decent music on it.. I am just not satisfied with the overall sound... Looks like some fine written songs, but jacked up with fake instrumentation and commercial appeal...

You'll find what your looking for on it... I'd at least hear it..

Wheeljak
03-27-2006, 06:58 PM
I saw Prince perform on SNL this season. Does this album have that song A Woman Scorned on it? I was sitting there with my mouth open when I was watching that. I couldn't believe that he was performing on TV with a song that sucked so badly.

Chief
03-27-2006, 07:33 PM
that was on just this past saturday

sdldawn
03-27-2006, 07:46 PM
I saw Prince perform on SNL this season. Does this album have that song A Woman Scorned on it? I was sitting there with my mouth open when I was watching that. I couldn't believe that he was performing on TV with a song that sucked so badly.

Yes, its called Fury.. the studio version doesn't hold a candle to that on snl...

a lot of fans were dissapointed with that song on 3121 after hearing him do so well (guitar wise) on there..

Etherspin
03-27-2006, 09:28 PM
SDL , you dont like a prince album ??
you are so Soy and Linseed gluten free with a hint of honey bread..

Boogie
03-27-2006, 09:43 PM
I have to say I was feeling Musicology, but 3121 not so much. I am huge Prince fan so it is with a heavy heart I say that.

sdldawn
03-27-2006, 11:59 PM
you are so Soy and Linseed gluten free with a hint of honey bread..
:blush: yeah... Thanks for noticing.. It took me all day to bake my buns.

sdldawn
03-28-2006, 12:01 AM

There be a good few of I dont prefer.. Mostly (imo) its due to never hiring a producer..

he has way to big of an ego for someone to help him structure his ideas.

DJ Detroit Butcher
03-28-2006, 04:56 AM
I don't have the album, I stopped buying his shit after Crystal Ball (although I can't believe somebody couldn't find even ONE song to like on there...)

But I really did love his performance of "Fury" on SNL. At this rate, he's averaging one good song every couple of years since 1998.

"Oh buddy, what a fuckin waste." -- Billy Sparks.

Wheeljak
03-28-2006, 10:36 AM
I stopped buying his shit after Crystal Ball (although I can't believe somebody couldn't find even ONE song to like on there...)A few years ago when I was ripping my music collection to mp3, due to storage space concerns I had at the time, I didn't rip everything, and in my Prince collection, Crystal Ball is conspicuously missing, which leads me to believe that I didn't remotely like anything on it.
I just may listen to it again to give it another chance; sometimes when I do that, I realize that I like the album. With Terence Trent D'arby's third album Symphony or Damn, I listened in 1993, didn't like it, listened again in 1996, and loved it. Of course, I re-listened to Living Colour's Stain twice, because I really wanted to like it. However, I still hate it.
It does seem like a shame, though, to have a 40 dollar disc set that I don't even listen to.

But I really did love his performance of "Fury" on SNL.
I liked the performance; I just didn't like the song. The shimmying curvy singers and the end guitar solo were great. I just thought the song lacked in the creativity that I expect from Prince.
And he should have made an appearance on the "Prince Show" sketch.

Mistress M
03-28-2006, 01:57 PM
I think the problem is that Prince revolutionized music once, and to expect anyone to do that twice in a lifetime is expecting too much.

I think 3121 is pretty good. It's funky, it's catchy. Is it the best album ever? No. Is it the best Prince has ever done? No. But I still dig it. and I thought the performance of "Fury" on SNL was hot. I do wish the album version was more guitar heavy like the live version, but I think the album is worth a listen.

sdldawn
03-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Crystal Ball (The Song) is one of his most impressive works.

the rest of that 3cd set is sortof rubbish... he straight up made his fans think he was releasing older jams that had any weight to them...

turns out they were flap jacks..

This is regarding the 3cd.. not The Truth.. that is a raw acoustic gem for me.. its before he was tainted by that damn larry graham

DJ Detroit Butcher
03-28-2006, 07:17 PM
amen, saddle. I think the first 2 cuts on the truth cd are the best on there tho.

"crystal ball" the song: yeah it's a classic but the bootleg versions (pick one, there's what, like 3?) are better.

I dl'd the snl performance of Fury, and i'm straight with that.

sdldawn
03-28-2006, 07:30 PM
"crystal ball" the song: yeah it's a classic but the bootleg versions (pick one, there's what, like 3?) are better.

Well.. the one I am referring to is the original.. I keep forgetting that the one on the CB set isn't exactly the same..

but yes, the original has like another minute or two on it.. it actually would sound better with it.

DJ Detroit Butcher
03-28-2006, 07:33 PM
yeh, i figured you were talking about the boot. i particularly like version 1, without the string section overdubs!

sdldawn
03-28-2006, 07:49 PM
see.. when I heard Crystal Ball was getting released.. i figured he would have put songs like Rebirth of the Flesh.. songs like that...

not to mention.. his use of overdubs on the older songs on the set.. they were fine before all that.

Be
03-28-2006, 09:08 PM
ok....i can't not respond to this.....i haven't been expectin' much from that man since diamonds and pearls..i guess i've been buying his albums because the earlier ones were so good...as ror gold ...i found 1 song on it that was great...i kan't remember the name right now...but it was damn good...as for crystal ball bacon skin was great and she spoke to me was from the actual vault....i know because he sent it to me to cover around 90 what 3 and as for musicology that song was brilliant...the album was him best in years but there were a few chinks in the armour now the new one 3121...black sweat is all i've heard so far and i absolutly love it...the minimalism is great ..sorta reminds me of a pharell remix of kiss

sdldawn
03-28-2006, 09:48 PM
ok....i can't not respond to this.....i haven't been expectin' much from that man since diamonds and pearls..i guess i've been buying his albums because the earlier ones were so good...as ror gold ...i found 1 song on it that was great...i kan't remember the name right now...but it was damn good...as for crystal ball bacon skin was great and she spoke to me was from the actual vault....i know because he sent it to me to cover around 90 what 3 and as for musicology that song was brilliant...the album was him best in years but there were a few chinks in the armour now the new one 3121...black sweat is all i've heard so far and i absolutly love it...the minimalism is great ..sorta reminds me of a pharell remix of kiss

wow, he sent you that to cover? That was a great song.. It was on his The Vault disk volume 1.. (The full long version)... and I believe the only reason this wasn't on the Crystal Ball 3cd set.. is cause it was given to WB to fufill his last album in the contract.. which actually was The Vault.

that is a nice tid bit to know.. :)

cool

and regarding The Vault Vol. 1.. I dug it completely.. it had more history on it than CB...

DJ Detroit Butcher
03-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Wow, Be, any chance we'll ever heard your version of She Spoke To Me?

Yeah, that Vault album was tight, except that ridiculous '93 version of Old Friends For Sale, those re-written lyrics were retarded.

And yeh, when the Crystal Ball set was first announced in the Emancipation booklet, I thought it was going to be a legit release of the Original Crystal Ball triple album. Kind of a letdown, but it still had some gems on it, like Movie Star, That remix of Crucial, and that devastating live version of Days of Wild!
P.S. Baconskin!!! Love that shit! Alfred, open your hat!

Mistress M
03-28-2006, 11:41 PM
now the new one 3121...black sweat is all i've heard so far and i absolutly love it...the minimalism is great ..sorta reminds me of a pharell remix of kiss

Yeah! Exactly! It reminds me of his older work, without the heavy bass-line.

Be, you gotta hear "Beautiful, Loved and Blessed"...it's really beautiful. I could see you covering it someday. And the SNL version of Fury was mad, mad hot. He did some shit with that guitar that's just :eek:

Etherspin
03-29-2006, 01:15 AM
i havent heard the album yet, just saw an ad with a few bits and heard 3121 and it sounded freaky in a good way..

hope that dude releases moonbeam levels :)

sdldawn
03-29-2006, 01:52 AM
i havent heard the album yet, just saw an ad with a few bits and heard 3121 and it sounded freaky in a good way..

hope that dude releases moonbeam levels :)

Knowin him.. he wouldn't release the original... he would re-do it with a crap casio keyboard.. and possible since its talking about a "Better place to die" make it a more religious song..

it might be a good thing to keep in the vaults..

look what he did with sadomasochistic groove? That was horrid

Etherspin
03-29-2006, 02:45 AM
oooh no.. dont say that... haha.. ill hire a safe cracker to get it..

dont know sado. whats that about..?

sdldawn
03-29-2006, 03:49 AM
oooh no.. dont say that... haha.. ill hire a safe cracker to get it..

dont know sado. whats that about..?

well.. I have the older version of it.. its very good.. but compared to the one he crapped out in 2001 in the npgmc.. its rediculous sounding..

"Sado maso kiss this groove" not to mention.. I believe its rhonda smith vocals in it. it's just cheesed up too much.

Etherspin
03-29-2006, 09:57 AM
ahh yes.. the npgmc ..
its too long
i should check the org again!!

DJ Detroit Butcher
03-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Fuck the org, housequake.com is a MUCH MUCH better forum, check that out, ether.

Brian221
03-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Housequake was my jam back in the day.

Cozmo D
03-30-2006, 02:07 PM
I don't think that I've ever heard a Prince album with more than 1 or 2 songs on it that I've liked, though usually those songs would be genius. And he ain't revolutionize SHIT, George Clinton and Sly Stone were doing the same fukkin thing both longer and better!

Saying that, he was the BOMB on SNL! :rock:

filmwizdaddy
03-30-2006, 05:38 PM
So whats the verdict. Is it alright?????? I mean the one song that I really liked on his last album was "call my name." I believe that was the title of it. I hope that there is a similar song on the next album. However, the reason I liked the song was because of the chorus. VINTAGE SOUL. great feeling. If you heard a white man try to sing like AL green or Kci Hailey.....He would be shot. Or perhaps castrated like me. Nothing like new jack swing and Vintage Soul choruses. But there better be harmony as well. :haha:

Etherspin
03-30-2006, 07:25 PM
revolutionize? who cares.. he has got the best of a whole bunch of talents, some seriously weirdass songs as well as funky stuff

sdldawn
03-30-2006, 10:38 PM
he has got the best of a whole bunch of talents, some seriously weirdass songs as well as funky stuff

I'll agree with you.. I havent been very pleased with everything lately.. but his stuff is interesting..

anywho.. his new album is number one on the charts..

not that it had much to compete with..

Be
03-31-2006, 02:38 PM
coz iz a hater....i feel him...and it's a good point...and lets not forget his affinity for jimi hendrix....but he's still a hater....oh yeah sldawn...when he sent me she spoke to me...i was kikin it with pearl...so on the real....i thought he sent it to me out of sarcasm ...to be honest with you...i didn't even notice how good the song was until it came out on the vault cd....i still think he was a lil upset with me for kikin it with his gyrl

Cozmo D
03-31-2006, 02:45 PM
A little hate is good for the soul! :haha:

xtristessax
03-31-2006, 03:24 PM
A little hate is good for the soul! :haha:

bad feelings make for good songs!!!

sdldawn
03-31-2006, 05:38 PM
So whats the verdict. Is it alright?????? I mean the one song that I really liked on his last album was "call my name." I believe that was the title of it. I hope that there is a similar song on the next album. However, the reason I liked the song was because of the chorus. VINTAGE SOUL. great feeling. If you heard a white man try to sing like AL green or Kci Hailey.....He would be shot. Or perhaps castrated like me. Nothing like new jack swing and Vintage Soul choruses. But there better be harmony as well. :haha:

Well, considering his versatility.. you aren't gonna know fo sure till you go buy it.. everyone likes something different about him. its just a cd.. go get it!

Wheeljak
03-31-2006, 06:04 PM
coz iz a hater....i feel him...and it's a good point...and lets not forget his affinity for jimi hendrix....but he's still a hater....oh yeah sldawn...when he sent me she spoke to me...i was kikin it with pearl... Pearl??
Playaplaya!!:rock:

So, lemme get this straight... when Prince gets miffed at somebody, he sends them an unreleased song to cover?
I wonder if Sinead worked her majik on one of Prince's girls, too...:cool:

sdldawn
03-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Pearl??
when Prince gets miffed at somebody, he sends them an unreleased song to cover?
I wonder if Sinead worked her majik on one of Prince's girls, too...:cool:

Who knows with Prince.. I bet he would..

And to my knowledge.. Sinead ain't no friend of his...

aside from makin his song a hit... wasn't he supposed to have back up vocals on Nothing to compares? i believe he was..

sdldawn
03-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Speakin of Nothing Compares to you, I think he would have done a better job himself... There is a few songs he gave away that would have fit him nicely.. like Open Book.. that song had a great quote in it.. "Now your touch is a reminder, like the thorns upon a rose.. beauty is mine if I can stand the cut"

Etherspin
04-01-2006, 10:25 AM
im waiting for prince to make us some companions for The Beautiful ones, If I was your girlfriend... stuff in that vein.. ive heard a few more tracks from 3121 now and i have hope he is on his way back to that place!!

matt
04-02-2006, 04:45 PM
I think the problem with Prince is that the only thing that's changed
is his name and his sound is the same as 10 years ago.

Good melodies
are what he has been known for, though his production and guitar solos
are awesome.

Hero1
04-03-2006, 08:29 PM
huh i really like the album..musicology was great 2 ..cinnamin girl one of my fav tracks ever love that shit.. im not caught up in all the drama of the past albums so i guess i can enjoy good music as good music without hopin 4 sumthin that isnt there :haha::haha: openin track and ending track are favs so far have 2 listen 2 it more tho

Hero1
05-08-2006, 01:04 AM
the more I listen to this album..the more I like it.. :rock::rock::rock: