PDA

View Full Version : Would would it take?

sdldawn
03-14-2006, 05:47 PM
I know some of you around here have had some experience in the music business.. so i'm asking.

What would it take for Pm Dawn's new tracks to hit iTunes? its a great market for Be.. even if its a single.
Think about it.. its the most popular source for music right now, and they seem to be pretty good about promoting the artists on their site.. you get a 30 second preview of each song.. that to me, is important.. due to the quality of their songs, thats all the listener would need to wanna buy the track..

I know the record labels are a big reason.. but hey, im just askin..

I really enjoy Josh Rouse's work.. and he is a very strong iTunes artist.. I kindof thought about it when I was browsin his music on the iTunes, Even if he decides to throw out a experimental EP, iTunes has it.. and he is now at a small label.. if thats any relevance to the question..

Cozmo D
03-15-2006, 12:57 PM
It would take Be to decide to put them on there. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course, this is assuming that he has all of the rights to his new tracks.

sdldawn
03-15-2006, 02:30 PM
It would take Be to decide to put them on there. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course, this is assuming that he has all of the rights to his new tracks.

Cool.. I hope one day to see his music on there..

Cozmo D
03-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Mine is. :wiggle:

Etherspin
03-15-2006, 09:15 PM
well.. im sure all the fans with net access would buy that.. and no CD related costs for PM Dawn ..

Moe
03-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Yeah even if your not signed you can put stuff on itunes, most of the public thinks its something special though, it isnt heh.

Hero1
03-16-2006, 12:35 AM
http://www.tunecore.com

that site puts your music on itunes for free... It doesn't take much.. I think it would be great to get any new music be has on itunes.. people searching for set adrift or die without you would then find it.. I buy all my music off itunes now and just put it straight onto my ipod.. :cheers:

sdldawn
03-16-2006, 02:46 AM
if iTunes advertises (image of them on the front page) it would do massive sales..

I bet you he would be in top 10 most downloaded songs...

Chief
03-16-2006, 11:07 AM
dear lord..how out of touch am i, since i dont have an ipod...

sdldawn
03-16-2006, 05:43 PM
dear lord..how out of touch am i, since i dont have an ipod...

You dont need one...

www.iTunes.com (http://www.iTunes.com)

:rock:

xtristessax
03-16-2006, 05:54 PM
yeah i don't have a ipod, but i have itunes.

pmFan
03-16-2006, 08:04 PM
I agree it would be great for exposure and ease of access for the masses, but there is something about haveing the CD that I like. Not just burning my own, but having a nice CD with the CD art, insert art, liner notes, etc. PM Dawn was one of the greatest at packaging! To me, they really made the CD worth owning! Of course, I saw always a big fan of LPs for the same reason... but then that starts to show my age...:haha:

ChrisLDog
03-16-2006, 09:21 PM
I agree it would be great for exposure and ease of access for the masses, but there is something about haveing the CD that I like. Not just burning my own, but having a nice CD with the CD art, insert art, liner notes, etc. PM Dawn was one of the greatest at packaging! To me, they really made the CD worth owning! Of course, I saw always a big fan of LPs for the same reason... but then that starts to show my age...:haha:

I totally like having the CD too. Besides having a physical CD, the sound quality is MUCH better on a CD than it is on a compressed format.

Cozmo D
03-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah, when I was a kid we would put our dopest album covers up on our walls. Some even came with folded posters in them. How the hell you gonna put an mp3 up on your wall? :haha:

sdldawn
03-16-2006, 09:54 PM

Putting it on iTunes isn't taking the music away from cd pressing.. at all.

Cozmo D
03-16-2006, 10:08 PM
I think that he was saying his personal preference for his own collection, not that it would take anything away from CD pressing. ;)

sdldawn
03-16-2006, 11:19 PM
I think that he was saying his personal preference for his own collection, not that it would take anything away from CD pressing. ;)

definantly.. and I feel the same way.

pmFan
03-17-2006, 08:22 AM
I think that he was saying his personal preference for his own collection, not that it would take anything away from CD pressing. ;)Yup. It definitely would be more popular with the youngest generation - the instant satisfaction generation. I just would not want to see CDs go away if an artist were to concentrate releasing only to online resources.

Etherspin
03-17-2006, 05:48 PM
yeah.. of course a CD is better.. i havent bought a single song from itunes... but Millions of others have!! and if there was PM Dawn stuff on there you can bet i would

sdldawn
03-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I also think the way artist put up "exclusive work" on iTunes just makes their sales rise even more.. think about it.. You buy their album.. then go on iTunes to buy whats not on the the album, like an exclusive ep or something..

iTunes gets me everytime with the exclusive stuff...

Brian221
03-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Yeah, when I was a kid we would put our dopest album covers up on our walls. Some even came with folded posters in them. How the hell you gonna put an mp3 up on your wall? :haha:

...you post the artist/album artwork on your webpage or your myspace. :haha:

syxxpm
03-20-2006, 02:06 PM

me too :))

some i even have tshirts of(album covers)

Cozmo D
03-20-2006, 06:30 PM
...you post the artist/album artwork on your webpage or your myspace. :haha:
What good would that do? You can't impress some groovy chick with your hip moves by inviting her up to your room to see your webpage.:think:

My gawd, I guess you can! :hoo:

I guess it's only a matter of time before we don't bother to actually physically be with each other in person at all...:(

xtristessax
03-20-2006, 09:42 PM
I guess it's only a matter of time before we don't bother to actually physically be with each other in person at all...:(

thats crap! in fact, the majority of all communication technology has made it easier for us to communicate in the instances when we have to be apart. OR to connect people who otherwise have no way of interacting. think about the cell phone! AIM! we don't stay apart more because of this technology!

putting album art on a myspace page is like showing some girl your room, but the girl can be miles away and still see it when otherwise she would have never seen it.

people craving physical interaction is why sites like myspace exist. they are rooted upon the concept that the people you meet can contribute to your life, potentially in person, when otherwise that would not be an option.

Cozmo D
03-20-2006, 10:09 PM
thats crap! in fact, the majority of all communication technology has made it easier for us to communicate in the instances when we have to be apart. OR to connect people who otherwise have no way of interacting. think about the cell phone! AIM! we don't stay apart more because of this technology!

putting album art on a myspace page is like showing some girl your room, but the girl can be miles away and still see it when otherwise she would have never seen it.

people craving physical interaction is why sites like myspace exist. they are rooted upon the concept that the people you meet can contribute to your life, potentially in person, when otherwise that would not be an option.
When I was a kid we had to play with each other. I mean physically play with each other. You rarely see kids doing that outside of school or sports nowadays.

Sure we communicate more when we're apart, and we get to meet great people from all over the world online, those are GREAT developments, but you can't deny that our personal physical interactivity has suffered greatly. Even now as I type this with my back to my wife as we catch up with shows that we missed this weekend on TIVO, this fact is plainly obvious to me.:(

Etherspin
03-20-2006, 10:34 PM
haha!!! where are these ladies that would be impressed by a webpage?? mwaahaha come try your luck in australia with that..

xtristessax
03-20-2006, 11:43 PM
haha!!! where are these ladies that would be impressed by a webpage?? mwaahaha come try your luck in australia with that..

this sorta validates my point. some ladies in australia may not be impressed, but other ladies all over the world might. if you're in to that.

and Coz needs to take Lady E out on a date! nah for real though you choose how much you use, AND how much you lose...as far as technology is concerned. you know me, the eternal optimist. i think you can have the best of both worlds if you try.

Cozmo D
03-21-2006, 10:03 AM
this sorta validates my point. some ladies in australia may not be impressed, but other ladies all over the world might. if you're in to that.

and Coz needs to take Lady E out on a date! nah for real though you choose how much you use, AND how much you lose...as far as technology is concerned. you know me, the eternal optimist. i think you can have the best of both worlds if you try.
We just came back from 4 days in New Orleans. :wiggle:

Yeah, but at least you get to see and speak to and touch the ladies in Australia. Now we are training ourselves to get by with having an intimate relationship with our keyboards and monitors.

Chief
03-21-2006, 11:37 AM
all i care about is if it swallows...is that so hard?

syxxpm
03-21-2006, 02:28 PM
all i care about is if it swallows...is that so hard?

not after it swallows :P

syxxpm
03-21-2006, 03:00 PM
What good would that do? You can't impress some groovy chick with your hip moves by inviting her up to your room to see your webpage.:think:

My gawd, I guess you can! :hoo:

i think its kinda sad the whole dying of the music industry....i grew up a kid of old school mtv(81-91)...i was never into radio (rarely ever actively listened...if i got into an artist it was cuz i saw the video on mtv..bought the album and fell in love with the obscure album tracks and not the singles)...

i turn on mtv and its a basketball player taking me through his house....or some othershow about fucking cars,,,,,,(not literally)

mtv 2.....beavis and butthead/wildboys/jackass channel....not the i dont like these programs..but music is not a priority on this channel..

vh1...surreal life/hogans/celebrity fit club(found it degrading)....rarely ever music

bet....occassionaly ill see a hip hop video i like but mostly some studio audience show....repeated showings of beef and beef 2...

much music,,,,,scaringly its turned too indie for me....i mean its nice to see green day videos but i can do without hawthorne hights....fallout boy and my chemical romance....EVERY 5 SECONDS!....

mp3s are cool but its not like owing the album...owning the artwork..reading the lyrics...the liner notes....comparing album covers....all the bad haircuts and line up changes..

damn..im 27 and im really old inside.,,,,,,long undead matter o fact

than again i never was great at keeping up the whole pop culture thing...these days when i look for a new album its by artists i grew up listening to as a child/teen...and ordering on amazon...i almost never buy an album in a record store cause all there is is fye in paramus cuz EVERY RECORD STORE IN DUMONT/BERGENFIELD/CLOSTER/ALPINE all went out of business...
(also dont feel like paying 20-25 a pop for a cd)

dont own a cellphone/no pager/rarely use my phone/car is used for business and close travel...i think this whole needing to know where someone is every 5minutes thing is offensive and narcissistic....

is pop(not to mention human) culture just so impatient that it has to kill aesthics for convienience

as for the whole physical contact thing...i cant comment too much cuz all my good highschool memories were based around sitting in a room (friend optional)and playing nes/snes from dusk till dawn and watching wwf and movies....couldnt play sports ....wasnt good at anything not to mention i hate the concept of TEAM(try playing phys ed softball and everytime your up at bat faggot chants ring out)....if there is no i in team than fuck the team....lol/....and i went through highschool without DATE#1...so i cant talk much about impressing anyone.ladies..men...unicorns...amoeba...you name it....

but my friend an i would sit in a room looking at album covers...or video art.. and that was are escape...there is no nerdy rush like showing a friend you own EVERY album by your favorite artist and checking the covers out and seeing what worked and what didnt,...a

ARCADES ARE GONE...very rarely are their new machines....and most are gone...and rarely are people there (for some reason every arcade i went to ac and wildwood last yeaR I Was the only one in there except for the coinvendors...

i think the whole decline is best summed up in the chumbawamba song pass it along

"so heres your final resting place your heaven is protected by security gates
shut out the world its getting worse..saveyour self dont leave the house
because a virtual office in a virtual home means you never need to drive through the wrong part ot town...pass it along by word of mouse...save the world dont leave the house..

aaaaaa///where do you want to go today
aaaaa somewhere you can never take me

brave new world...population 1

(damn why do i follow the funny remark with the somber diatribe....ah well...when life gives you lemons...make chili

Etherspin
03-21-2006, 06:39 PM
I impressed a few ladies over the internet back around 2000 , one was a psycho in person who added almost killing me to her list of talents

:) because of the distance, and because she got to know me in my own country away from her family her "friends" and the places she grew up there was no context other than what she wanted to present as herself, she tailor made her own image based on what i had written about myself on my webpage and reeled me right in.

if i had met her friends, seen her family etc i would deffo have smelt BS much earlier on.. theres nothing like local knowledge :D

ANYWAY! Itunes would be a brilliant promotional tool and money spinner for any musicians (including PM Dawn !!) with an outlay of $0 towards pressing CDs and postage/shipping related stuff

syxxpm
03-22-2006, 02:46 PM
glad to see you made it out of england alive and well....(oasis was overrated anyway).....hope the new (50% more peaceful 10% less fructose) start to your life in aus is doing well...and if she comes back i know somebody in teaneck you can set her up with...they'd be perfect for each other...

Etherspin
03-22-2006, 09:25 PM
indeed, the fructose was crucial :D
man its great down here..
looking forward to going to the melbourne comedy festival and to see public enemy in a couple of weeks..