PDA

View Full Version : Any dog owners?? I need advice

Foxy11
06-05-2002, 10:41 AM
Well let me just say that I'm not buying a dog tomorrow, maybe by next summer, but I'm just researching now. The dog I'm interested in getting is a beagle. I've got books and I do a lot of researching online about the breed, so I don't have "puppy-love" and am just interested in the dog because it's cute. I have a friend who is just being a total jerk and completely discouraging me, only because he has a boxer and he swears they are the be all and end all to dog breeds (don't you just love those people who know everything and only give you credit if you support or uphold the same things they believe ) :cuss:

Well he's telling me that I would hate the dog and that beagles are dumb, and I'll never be able to house train it. I just wanted to know if there were any other dog owners (or maybe even any beagle owners) at the forum that could give me a little advice about the situation.

Chief
06-05-2002, 10:45 AM
ive got some advice foxy...do not...and i repeat do not take advice from frek...baroo shouldve been shot awhile ago....:)

on the serious though..my aunt has some that she breeds..let me get in touch with her and see if she will post or email you some info...

Foxy11
06-05-2002, 10:47 AM
Thanks Chief :wave:

SaintHax
06-05-2002, 10:55 AM
I had a dog once

the bitch left me :cry:

oh damn I just remembered that she's a member on the forum now :scared:

frEk
06-05-2002, 01:15 PM
[size=24][b]ITALIAN GREYHOUND!

Foxy11
06-05-2002, 01:18 PM
what kind of dog do you have frEk. Is it pretty well behaved?

frEk
06-05-2002, 01:23 PM
i have an:
[quote][size=24][b]ITALIAN GREYHOUND!

and he's just about the dumbest dog i ever seen, but he's just as sweet as he is dumb, no he's not very good either i gotta kep my eye on him alot, but in other ways he's real good, won't fuck with my food, i can drop his leash and he won't go flyin away somewhere(which this breed is suppose to do but he don't) he's full grown 10 lbs, the biggest problem with this breed is house breaking, he use to chew shit as a puppy but he ain't chewed nothing in forever now....but he's definitely a companion animal, not very independent, he will follow you all over the fucking house all day and the second you sit down he's curled up with you..........sorta a mixed bag i guess

Foxy11
06-05-2002, 01:41 PM
thanks for the info, sorry my comp is crap so i couldn't read the text that you had with the picture that's why I asked what breed the dog was.

Tybris
06-05-2002, 01:53 PM
I have had dogs, all my life and have had a beagle once a really long time ago. I loved that dog. DESPITE what any dumb ass has to say, beagles are among the smartest dogs. I think the top most intelligent dogs are Collies/German Shepards/Dobermans/Retrievers/Beagles (hey Snoopy's a beagle)/Chows..and on down. I'm sorry but Rots are good for only one thing..sheer power and killing ability, they aren't very smart. With any dog, they can be trained to obey, but certain dogs have an inate intelligence others don't. Well those are my two cents :thumup:

Foxy11
06-05-2002, 02:29 PM
I have had dogs, all my life and have had a beagle once a really long time ago. I loved that dog. DESPITE what any dumb ass has to say, beagles are among the smartest dogs. I think the top most intelligent dogs are Collies/German Shepards/Dobermans/Retrievers/Beagles (hey Snoopy's a beagle)/Chows..and on down. I'm sorry but Rots are good for only one thing..sheer power and killing ability, they aren't very smart. With any dog, they can be trained to obey, but certain dogs have an inate intelligence others don't. Well those are my two cents :thumup:

thank you so much Tybris, this is the exact message that I was trying to tell my so-called friend, it's not that beagles are hard to train because they are dumb, it's just that they are hounds and hounds tend to be more intelligent than other dogs and don't fall for the same okie-doke tricks other dogs do to get them to obey, you just have to use more innovative training techniques, but of course he dismissed all i was saying because, one I don't own a dog, and two he's just crazy about his boxer (which I think he's just a wee bit too attached too, but that's a whole other post right there). But I really do appreciate the tips from other dog owners.

Chief
06-05-2002, 03:20 PM
no offense Ty, but poodles are right up there as far as intelligence gos...

Tybris
06-05-2002, 08:58 PM
Um...you..own..a poodle Chief?

Ooook. I still respect you.

fru fru :rofl:

Chief
06-05-2002, 09:01 PM
hahaha..i was waitin for that......took ya long enough..no i dont own a poodle...:)

Hero1
06-05-2002, 09:04 PM
used to have a german shepherd as a kid called zuri..absolute champ..but we had to put him down :donno:

Tybris
06-06-2002, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I've lost alot of good dogs over the years, wish they didn't age so dam fast, it really sucks. You get really attatched to them ya know. I love my cat but, the loss of a dog is more like a family member dying, go fig. I think its cuz cats are too dam independant. I've had lots of different kinds of dogs, from beagles to great danes. I currently have a minature german shepard..well a half breed anyway. Her mom was a full blood, but she died last year :cry:

Well that's life, it happens, she was very old. We had her for 9 years I think.

Hero1
06-06-2002, 06:46 PM
we had zuri from a pup! when we went to choose him he came running up to us n shit.. but he always had problems..exma?? n shit anyway in the end he was real sick and we had no choice but to put him down..put him out of his misery i guess..havent had a pet since..i think that one was a bit too much....

Cozmo D
06-06-2002, 07:15 PM
Well, I had a cat named Doobee for over 9 years that got cancer and we had to put him to sleep. I've had 5 dogs in my life and that cat was smarter than all of them put together.

He knew his name and answered to it every time. When he would roam the neighborhood backyards, I would go outside and call out his name 1 time and listen as he scaled fences on his way to me without fail. He would kiss me and my wife every morning when we woke up, but he would never wake us up for anything. He was as independent as any cat but he knew he was part of the family and played his part to the hilt. It was like he knew what we were thinking and we knew what he was thinking.

He had a crazy sweet tooth, we would give him a cupcake for his birthday every year. We would all sing to him and then he would sit right there and eat it. One time he stole 1 of my wife's yankee doodles and CURLED BACK UP THE CELLOPHANE and the only reason we found out was because he hid the paper under the bed.

After his cancer had gotten so bad that all of his teeth had dropped out, he would still catch mice, but he would beat them to death. We would actually find them practically flat. I WOULD PLACE THIS CAT UP AGAINST ANY DOG!

When we had no choice but to put him to sleep (his cancer had finally gotten to the point where he couldn't eat), my wife, son and I were inconsolable at the vet (my youngest wasn't born yet). I cried for him harder and longer than I did for my own grandmother, and she was like a second mother to me. Hell, I'm even choking up typing this.

So yeah, I would agree that in general, because they are so loyal, that dogs become closer and more like part of the family than cats...but I don't think there can be anything more special than a cat like I had.

EZ
Coz

Foxy11
06-07-2002, 09:18 AM
:cry:

Tybris
06-07-2002, 02:42 PM
basically fox...pets are cool..whatever you decide to get, love it unconditionally and it will do the same for you. Nothing like having a pet when no one else is around to talk to or curl up with when you're lonely, or seeing their wagging tail greeting you at the door when you come home. They can be alot of work and responsibility, but hey..still less than any kid..heh.

No I don't have any kids, but I've raised my share of them. I think I know more about how to take care of kids than most other single men out there..but that's a different post..heh.

Foxy11
06-07-2002, 03:12 PM
cool I appreciate all the advice. Right now I share a townhouse with my best friend who is allergic to pet dander, I keep saying I want to wait until I get a real house and my dog will have a real backyard to play in and it won't be in anyone else's way but mine, but if I keep putting it off I could be missing out on a lot of good times. I think I'm going through with it and getting a beagle and I'm gonna name it Goku (yes after the character on Dragonball Z :laugh: )

flashback
06-07-2002, 03:31 PM
Hey Foxy,
I had a beagle as a kid for about 3 years. He was a very cool dog, but he liked to run off. We had a great fence, and he would burrow under and runoff, nothing would stop him. I guess it is in their nature as hunting/field dogs. You just have to pay a lot of attention to them, more so than other dogs.
I have 2 Golden Retrievers now, adopted a mom and her son. They are great dogs, loving, caring, smart, and great watchdogs!! We live in the country and alert us to anyone and anything near our house, which is back a lane in the woods.
We just adopted a stray and a Manx cat too, indoor cats to be. Pets have rounded my life a lot. I don't know what I would do without them now.
The house would be way too quiet. Just be prepared for a lot of responsibility, but a lot more happiness.

JP in ATL

:laugh:[/img]

Foxy11
06-07-2002, 04:17 PM
Hey Foxy,
I had a beagle as a kid for about 3 years. He was a very cool dog, but he liked to run off.[/img]

Yes I have heard the stories about the "run-away beagle". They get hooked on to a scent and they just run with it, it's their hunting instincts, that's why I said I would wait until I got a house so I could fence him in, but that wouldn't help if it get's like your dog and learns to dig under the fence :laugh: . I know it will be a handful but the impression that I'm getting is that it is worth it.

Hero1
06-07-2002, 07:21 PM
you wanna have kids foxy?

Foxy11
06-08-2002, 02:21 PM
you wanna have kids foxy?

some day I want kids, my friends always joke me cuz I always say I want 5 bad ass little boys, runnin' around the house causing trouble :mrgreen:

Cozmo D
06-08-2002, 02:40 PM
Be carefull what you wish for...heheheh

SaintHax
06-08-2002, 04:08 PM
**THIS SPACE FOR RENT**

contact Sainthax for more info

Chief
06-08-2002, 04:32 PM
i feel ya coz..lol

Elizabeth
06-09-2002, 01:00 PM
When I was 3 we got a beagle named Gizmo. (I wanted to name him Curious George, and was very mad at my father for naming him after Gremlins.) That dog was the sweetest little puppy. If I had a scanner, Foxy, I would show you the cutest dog in the world. And he was so loyal. He barks whenever a stranger approaches, and when he thinks anyone is getting hurt. Me and my dad used to pretend to hit each other just to watch him come to the rescue.
We called him my brother. He died about a year ago. Much like Coz, I've had a grandmother die, an aunt, a grandfather, etc. and never shed a tear. I cry whenever I think of my little Gizmo, even to this day. Gizmo "The Destroyer" McKeown. He got grumpy when he got older, and didn't like too much physical contact anymore, mainly 'cause of his arthritis. He would trip over his own legs. We used to laugh, 'cause it was such a silly sight. It was like having a much older relative live with us. I'm sure Gizmo was swearing at us in his head.
They are very free spirits. They love to explore, hunt, and run off. Gizmo never caught anything, though. We think he just liked to chase things. He followed me to school a couple of times. I was called to the office and told to take him home. He was very loving.
Okay, okay.. I'm going off way too much on this. I was even going to include a cute little story I wrote about Gizmo when I was in elementary school, but I'll spare you. ;) Just make sure you take that dog on lots of adventures. It's a shame to see them cooped up in a house all their lives. :cry:
Oh Frek-- on a side note-- I might be temporarily adopting some kittens so they will not be put down. Can you direct me to a veggie or vegan pet care site? I don't know what the hell to feed them.
Elizabeth
ps-- Foxy-- they know when you're sad, too.

frEk
06-10-2002, 09:38 PM
www.vegancats.com

they sell dog food too though, that's where i get baroo's food

Cozmo D
06-11-2002, 01:16 AM
Youse people are inhumane...a cat is a carnivore for crying out loud! :cuss:

If your cat could talk he would say "MEOW!!! GET THIS MEALY PLANT SMELLIN GERBIL FOOD OUTTA MY FACE AND GIVE ME SUM FRIGGIN TUNA!!! MEOW!!!" :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

CAT TORTURERS!!!

MOO!
Coz

frEk
06-11-2002, 02:03 AM
[b]<span style='color:black'>hey, i ain't even interested in that kinda pussy coz.......but you think that a cat would be catchin fish on it's own? how that mutha fucka gonna get it? ok i'm gonna go off on a tangent here...........but i just love when peeps (and again not you coz, or any 1 here necessarily) get on my ass about feedin my dog vegan food, it's always "is it his choice to eat that shit".....no but is it any dog's choice to eat what the fuck they eat, whether it got meat in it or not? again no............"dog's are naturally carnivore's".........yeah but the shit you feedin your dog ain't natural either fuk, where he gonna get that shit in tha wild? the fuckin kibble tree?.........."you gonna make him sick".....do you even have a fukkin clue what the fuck kinda nasty crap goes into those meated foods!?!?! even the "premium" and "choice" brands.......it's all fuckin diseased body parts that they can't get away with puttin in human foods....hooves, plastic tags, cancerous tissue, ground up udders, intestines.....yeah "beef".................my fukkin ass.........i'll give you fukkin meat peddlers beef......tha beef in my fukkin............ummmm.......ok i'm takin this tangent too far.........the point is.........errrr.....ummm.........fuck youz, that's tha point</span>

syxxpm
06-11-2002, 10:51 AM
NOMINATION.............

Chief
06-11-2002, 11:05 AM
second.......hold it.....what do you feed your gerbals then frek???? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cozmo D
06-11-2002, 02:27 PM
Well...what I feed my gerbils...is to my cats...heheheh.

Dogs are omnivores, but cats are carnivores.

Cats can't catch fish...but they sure know it's what they want...hahahah.

Actually...what vets in the know recomend you feed your cat is fresh ground meat...but mine get Science Diet Feline Maintenance 'cause I hate flys and roaches.

:flipoff:
MOO!
Coz

ps- I'm just kiddin' 'bout the gerbils...even I aint that cruel...heheheh

Chief
06-11-2002, 03:39 PM
hahahaha...sorry but ya left it open coz........yea, we know you aint that cruel..but you have other uses for them right? uh-huh...we get the pic.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cozmo D
06-11-2002, 05:16 PM
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Foxy11
06-25-2002, 09:40 AM
Hey gang,
I'm just updating the family since you all have been so supportive in giving me advice. Today I joined a volunteer organization here in NC that helps find good homes for beagle pups and other beagles that have been "rescued". So I figured this would give me some good exposure to them before I actually take that plunge and get one of my own. Thanks again for all your encouragement. I'll keep you all posted on how things go. Peace

Tonya

Hero1
06-25-2002, 09:45 AM
kool :rock:

Cozmo D
06-25-2002, 11:03 AM
What, only beagles Foxy?

What are they, breedists or something? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Foxy11
06-25-2002, 01:38 PM
What, only beagles Foxy?

What are they, breedists or something? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

*LOL* yeah I guess it does seem a little "breedist" of them, but actually there are a lot of these beagle rescue stations. Beagles are one of those dogs that just look so adorable as puppies that people get them, but once they find out how much of a handful they are they don't want to keep them and wind up giving them away, so these places help find homes for the abandoned beagles. I figure volunteering at this rescue will give me some good exposure so I know if this is something that I really want to do so I don't wind up as one of those owners that wind up giving the dog away.

Cozmo D
06-25-2002, 02:10 PM
Well...I didn't wanna mention this before, but I had a beagle once, for about 3 weeks.

A guy was riding his bike down my block carrying the cutest little dog you ever saw, he stopped his bike and asked me if I wanted him. I fell in love right away and took the dog...named him CB (for the life of me I can't remember why).

This dog was smart as hell, he was a really cool, really smart dog...except...

He hated if I went anywhere without him, and would fix me by peeing in my room. Unfortunately, I had to go to work. I arranged with EVERYBODY to spend time with him while I was gone, and since this was in the summertime that meant that he was outside ALL DAY. Didn't matter, he would pee in the room anyway.

Finally, I guess he realized that the peeing wasn't preventing me from going to work, so I came home to find that he had jumped up on my bed and taken a dump on my pillow.

I gave him away to a friend that same day (he really wanted him, he was so damm smart and cute).

I think he lasted at my friend's for about a month. :rofl:

EZ
Coz

Foxy11
06-27-2002, 11:12 AM
it took a dump on your pillow...damn...that's pretty eff'd up. I've heard some interesting stories but that may take the cake.