View Full Version : Who you want as president

sdldawn
10-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Bush

or

Kerry

bobble
10-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Kerry. But I don't get to vote in U.S. elections, so my opinion don't matter all that much.

Cozmo D
10-13-2004, 06:48 AM
I WANT niether of the above, but we have to get the idiot that's in there now OUT!

onegalacticwino
10-13-2004, 09:14 AM
B to the U to the S to the motha-f'n H

:shock:

Etherspin
10-13-2004, 10:45 AM
by the way .. anyone outside australia have an opinion on any of our politicians???

im goin out on a limb here !! :bwhaha:

Louis85
10-13-2004, 11:13 AM
I would prefer and most likely will vote for Kerry.

Brian221
10-13-2004, 01:07 PM
New political flash from JibJab (remember "This Land is My Land"?)
D.C. Land !!!!! (http://69.93.70.254/flash/dc.php)

justafan
10-13-2004, 04:06 PM
I agree with Coz, but my vote this year is going to go with David Cobb. He is in the green party. I was watching some 'third party' debates on C-span and I was shocked to see all of the good ideas being thrown around by everyone. I would much rather 'waste,' as some people would put it, my vote on a losing party than to ever affiliate myself with Bush and in some respects Kerry.

But check out David Cobb online at http://www.votecobb.org/ and see if anything he says resounds in your mind. I know it does in mine. Hearing him talk will give you a much better idea of him and his message, so if you get a chance to do that I would recommend it.

*being two cents less wealthy, I drop the mic, and walk off of the stage*

onegalacticwino
10-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Justafan:

I looked at Cobb's site, and for what it's worth, here are my thoughts (thanks for pointing me to a new candidate!):

Things that sound good:

1) ENERGY INDEPENDENCE
2) A quote from the site: LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, TRANSGENDER, INTERSEX, AND QUEER (LGBTIQ) RIGHTS

In the middle:

1) "end to the racist War on Drugs"

Thing that I wish could happen, but is naive (IMHO):

1) "Green foreign policy is based on non-violence, cooperation, diplomacy, respect for the democratic process and the protection of human rights and the environment."

Big mistakes:

1) government "Health Care for All"
2) Immediate withdrawal of US Military
3) "dismantle the military industrial complex"
4) "abolition of the Electoral College"
5) "living wage to replace the poverty-level minimum wage"
6) "Repeal of the Patriot Act."

bobble
10-14-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by onegalacticwino@Oct 13 2004, 07:51 PM
Big mistakes:

:confused: ?!?!?!?!?

justafan
10-14-2004, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by onegalacticwino@Oct 13 2004, 05:51 PM
Big mistakes:

2) Immediate withdrawal of US Military
3) "dismantle the military industrial complex"
4) "abolition of the Electoral College"
5) "living wage to replace the poverty-level minimum wage"
6) "Repeal of the Patriot Act."
Well, I will try and give my side to these issues...

1) I think that this is the most humane thing to do and if canada is able to function with it, then we should be too. But some kinks need to be worked out.

2) We went into this war to stop WMD's, well there weren't any... We need to pull out, save our troops, say sorry and save face.

3) Yeah, that can be dangerous... but if everyone did it then things would be great, it's too bad they never will......... (or will it? *hides, can't be seen to be optimistic*)

4) There ideas on the electoral college are good because then everyone's vote will really count and it will increase exposure to other parties besides D's and R's.

5) This seems to me to be humane, but I am not sure if it will work. :confused:

6) To me, this act NEEDS to go, until then the patriot act is keeping us without our freedom and maybe a miniscule bit more safe...

Well that is my take on the problems that you had wino...

I heard during the debate that every great social change in the past couple hundred years was first started in third parties... abolishment of slavery, womens rights, etc etc, the list goes on... It's clear that gay rights and better environmental protection are coming along, but let's give it a kick in the ass, help it along a bit.

The libertarian party with Bednarik as their candidate also have some good things to say. The constitution party is interesting.... but I am not an expert in any of these parties, obviously.

bobble
10-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by justafan@Oct 14 2004, 04:13 AM
[QUOTE=onegalacticwino,Oct 13 2004, 05:51 PM]
2) We went into this war to stop WMD's, well there weren't any... We need to pull out, save our troops, say sorry and save face.

And leave the people of Iraq to clean up the mess created by the US? I don't think they should have gone in there to begin with. But now that they're there, they damn well better stay the course. To the bitter, bitter, bitter end.

onegalacticwino
10-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the replies -- enjoyed looking into it :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

byrdie
10-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Kerry, if only as the best bet to get Bush out of office. :banghead:

justafan
10-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by byrdie@Oct 14 2004, 08:28 AM
Kerry, if only as the best bet to get Bush out of office. :banghead:
Doesn't that sound sad? The thing is, that I agree with you.

good to be of some service Wino :bigthumb:

Bobble, the thing that gets me is what does stay the course mean? if initial premises were wrong, and that was the point of going, then we are done. We should be able to say, oops, we messed up. The gov't doesn't work that way, they cover it up or fudge it up and I just wish that someday they did the right thing on a big issue such as the war. The government seems to be the only entity that when it finds out information contrary to what they though, very little changes even though it likely should. Ah, who knows, know I am just rambling...

Chukwuka
10-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by onegalacticwino@Oct 13 2004, 08:14 AM
B to the U to the S to the motha-f'n H

:shock:
How come I knew this.... :slap:

sdldawn
10-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Im sorry, but I dont believe a damn thing Kerry says...

and im not crazy about either.. i think Kerrys full of BS.

His entire debate was surrounded by numbers and mistakes by the president. Now pointing the stuff out isnt wrong, in fact its not bad at all.. but i rarley heard how he could fix it?

onegalacticwino
10-14-2004, 04:47 PM
WINO: B to the U to the S to the motha-f'n H
CHUCK: How come I knew this....

E to the S to the mutha-F'n P! :bigthumb:

PsychoMan
10-14-2004, 10:47 PM
I want Nader to be president, but I'm Canadian, so I don't have a say... unless I can land a job at Diebold, and then I can engineer any outcome I want! :ohnoes:

As for universal health care, it mostly works in Canada. The biggest problem we have to deal with right now is that it takes forever to get anything done.

<ranting anecdote begins>
For example, my father was not feeling so well, so his doctor booked him for an angiogram. Only problem was that the waiting list was over 8 months. During that time he basically had to take time off work and try not to move around to much in case he triggered a heart attack. When he finally got the angiogram, the doctor said my dad had the worst blocked arteries he had ever seen, and was amazed he had survived for eight months.

At least then the doctor booked him for an emergency quintuple bypass the next day, and my dad is still doing fine a couple of years later.
</ranting anecdote ends>

A good friend of mine was basically confined to his bed for a year while he waited for back surgery...

Anyway, the major issue in Paul Martin's campaign a few months ago was to "reduce wait times". Nobody knows what he means by this, or how he's going to do it, or where the money is coming from, but at least it is a major focus of our government right now.

I personally think public health care is worth the inevitable inefficiencies. No citizen should have to go without proper health care, and I'm perfectly willing to foot the bill through taxation if I'm lucky enough to be making money.

sdldawn
10-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by PsychoMan@Oct 14 2004, 06:47 PM
I want Nader to be president, but I'm Canadian, so I don't have a say... unless I can land a job at Diebold, and then I can engineer any outcome I want! :ohnoes:

As for universal health care, it mostly works in Canada. The biggest problem we have to deal with right now is that it takes forever to get anything done.

For example, my father was not feeling so well, so his doctor booked him for an angiogram. Only problem was that the waiting list was over 8 months. During that time he basically had to take time off work and try not to move around to much in case he triggered a heart attack. When he finally got the angiogram, the doctor said my dad had the worst blocked arteries he had ever seen, and was amazed he had survived for eight months.

At least then the doctor booked him for an emergency quintuple bypass the next day, and my dad is still doing fine a couple of years later.
</ranting anecdote ends>

A good friend of mine was basically confined to his bed for a year while he waited for back surgery...

Anyway, the major issue in Paul Martin's campaign a few months ago was to "reduce wait times". Nobody knows what he means by this, or how he's going to do it, or where the money is coming from, but at least it is a major focus of our government right now.

I personally think public health care is worth the inevitable inefficiencies. No citizen should have to go without proper health care, and I'm perfectly willing to foot the bill through taxation if I'm lucky enough to be making money.
Correct me if im wrong, but isnt nader there to balance the repub and democ votes out? or do i have that backwards..

ultimitley speaking

justafan
10-15-2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by PsychoMan@Oct 14 2004, 08:47 PM

</ranting anecdote ends>

thanks man, I am glad to hear a Canadians perspective on the issue. I figured that progress in the feild of medicine(including prompt service) might suffer with full service health care for all... and there are drawbacks, as you have pointed out, but your comments on the issue say how I feel....... it is so humane for everyone, working and not... and it has short-comings, so the issue is hard to decide on what is better.

But I feel, for whatever reason, that humanity and humaneness should prevail... at whatever cost(maybe I am wrong), but that is what I think until another(better) idea enters my head.

I like nader, but the green party kinda replaced him with Cobb and I really like his perspectives, so I am going in that direction. But I would also like Nader more than Bush or Kerry... *fingers triple crossed*

eternals layre
10-15-2004, 11:24 AM
bush.
im not rich but i got a tax cut, i like my marriage tax cut also. i like my money to be mine not everyones. and if kerry raises 300,000 or above my boss gets taxed that will go back to me. i will make less in the long run.
raising mim wage hurts everything. the dolar goes down. inflation is much eaiser. less jobs. buisness cant afford to pay that many people at that price. it causes the price of products to increase.

kerry has no backbone. religious hipocrit, quoted james in his last debate "faith without works is dead" believes abortion is wrong and does nothing about it .... dead. and then takes communion.
as i look into my newborns eyes i know his choice is life.
we do not need goverment healthcare. we need less redtape and lawers out of it would drop the price by 30% or more. If goverment healthcare came about private buisness would drop theirs. why do they need it when the goverment can do it? long lines waiting on anything to get done. ask anyone with goverment healthcare,

some of my family are in bagdad right now and my boss. one is a special agent my boss works with the admin staff of iraq. they fear kerry worse than clinton. ill agree with them.

im sure theres more

syxxpm
10-15-2004, 12:57 PM
im voting for bushwick bill.....where everyday is halloween and drinking everclear means you lose an eye...... :lolbonk:

Chief
10-15-2004, 06:44 PM
im voting for me.....

my political agenda...free liquor and everybody gets laid...