PDA

View Full Version : Queen Latifah

-Kosh-
09-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Holy Shit.

I knew that she had a great voice, especially after her vocal performances in the films "Living Out Loud" and "Chicago." However, I never expected a full album of jazz standards that cover the decades from 1920 through to the 1970's and styles as diverse as Dinah Washington, Al Green and Billy Strayhorn.

Latifah (born Dana Owens) has a perfect voice for this type of work. Chameleon-like, she changes her vocal stylings to fit the song she is performing. On the classic Dinah Washington track "Baby Get Lost," Latifah starts the disc off with a perfect Big-band sound and feel, effortlessly sliding into a rendition of "I put a Spell on You" that's as much inspired by Nina Simone as it is by Herbie Hancock's sultry piano playing.

If you like the jazz, big band, and blues sounds of Billie Holliday, Sarah Vaughn, Dinah Washington, and even the R&B sounds of Al Green, I would highly recommend this album. You can listen to samples, and an interview with Latifah over here (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4052576)