PDA

View Full Version : new beastie boys

Hero1
06-19-2004, 10:39 PM
i really like it :bigthumb: sounds like it was recorded in 84 :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Cozmo D
06-20-2004, 11:42 PM
They are evidence of the fukked up racist double standard of the music industry. There isn't a single black Hip-Hop group from that era...including RunDMC or Public Enemy...who could EVER get the major backing and marketing that they are getting. If they had been black nobody would have ever fukkin heard of them.

It's a fukkin disgrace!

Hero1
06-21-2004, 01:40 AM
but every 1 of their albums has sold and sold well..

Cozmo D
06-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by HieroHero@Jun 21 2004, 12:40 AM
but every 1 of their albums has sold and sold well..
EXACTLY! Because every 1 of their albums has been marketed and marketed well! They are the original great white hopes of Hip-Hop.

I'm down with a whole fukkin coalition of true old school artists...every last 1 with better skills then all of the Beastie Boys combined. Not a 1 of them could ever sniff a major deal again. What's the reason we are all given? YOU'RE TOO OLD SCHOOL! Public Enemy was out at the same time as the Beasties. ALL of their major albums sold and sold well. Yet, PE has to put their shit out independently now. Why? THEY'RE TOO OLD SCHOOL!

Now, here come the Beasties with their major backing and round the clock promos on MTV, and I'm willing to bet even a few MTV specials to boot...for an album that sounds like it was made in 1984?

I CALL "BULLSHIT"!!! :madrant:

Louis85
06-21-2004, 09:02 AM
:kekeke:

Chief
06-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Tell us how you really feel Coz...get it out.....

syxxpm
06-21-2004, 01:15 PM
:ohnoes9:

The_Kay_Dee
06-21-2004, 02:35 PM
:grouphug:

DJ Detroit Butcher
06-21-2004, 05:14 PM
I can see where you're comin from Coz, but I'm not getting involved in that one! Beasties fell off after Ill Communication anyway.

LumtheMad
06-21-2004, 06:30 PM
It's all a racket. I always cringe when i see how many albums groups like O-Town have sold in say like in comparision of Fear of a Black Planet by PE.

It strikes me odd how some groups always can stick on a label and others get tipped and flipped. Another part-o-the game i gather.....

Hero1
06-21-2004, 08:42 PM
public enemys 94 album didnt sell well... id say beastie boys continued to sell well not cause they were ol skool but they got all these fans in who dont even know hip hop..that whole alternative crowd.. if they were relying on their license to ill crowd they probably wouldnt be sellin any records.. because everyone gets older u have to get a new fanbase every album u put out.. the record companys are only interested in making money and they think they can still make money off the beasties..

personally id love to see albums coming out from

pe
queen latifah
jungle brothers
poor rightous teachers
jazzy jeff n fresh prince
pm dawn
etc etc

i think its great that beasties have an ol skool record gettin promoted..its better than g-unit n nelly n chingy 50 cent and all the other crap thats out right now

Cozmo D
06-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by HieroHero@Jun 21 2004, 07:42 PM
public enemys 94 album didnt sell well... id say beastie boys continued to sell well not cause they were ol skool but they got all these fans in who dont even know hip hop..that whole alternative crowd.. if they were relying on their license to ill crowd they probably wouldnt be sellin any records.. because everyone gets older u have to get a new fanbase every album u put out.. the record companys are only interested in making money and they think they can still make money off the beasties..

personally id love to see albums coming out from

pe
queen latifah
jungle brothers
poor rightous teachers
jazzy jeff n fresh prince
pm dawn
etc etc

i think its great that beasties have an ol skool record gettin promoted..its better than g-unit n nelly n chingy 50 cent and all the other crap thats out right now
Take a good look at that list of yours. Any white acts in there? ;)

Tybris
06-22-2004, 01:38 AM
I still find it funny how they started out as a punk band and their first rap album was intended as a parody, which ironically shot them into rap super stardum. After reading and seeing many of their older interviews after Liscensed to Ill, they deserved to be ignored but I think, before Vanilla Ice and Eminem..they are one of the first groups..black or white to bring a more white audience into the whole hip-hop scene. Can't blame them personally for thier success, not their fault the masses seem to accept whatever is shoved down their throats. :cool:

Hero1
06-22-2004, 03:20 AM
sorry coz i dont get the whole their white thing..so what??? :confused:

Cozmo D
06-22-2004, 04:17 AM
White acts get more support...both initially and long term...that's what. A white act generally will have a much longer career, and their material will be much more readily available for a longer period of time once that career is over. Check and see how easy it is to find back albums from the groups you mentioned, and compare that with equivalent white groups from the same eras.

If PM Dawn were white they would be Hall & Oates.

syxxpm
06-22-2004, 06:48 AM
but since they are a korean acid house country orchestra,,,there albums are scarce :)

Louis85
06-22-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by LumtheMad@Jun 21 2004, 05:30 PM
It's all a racket. I always cringe when i see how many albums groups like O-Town have sold in say like in comparision of Fear of a Black Planet by PE.

It strikes me odd how some groups always can stick on a label and others get tipped and flipped. Another part-o-the game i gather.....
Please don't tell me anything O-Town did outsold Fear of A Black Planet or Nations of Millions ? I'd have to see numbers to believe that mess! Those were two incredible albums from PE.

ChrisLDog
06-22-2004, 01:29 PM
I hear what your saying Coz, but you gotta remember what the demographic is. I'm not saying it's right, but the largest demographic for popular music is young white people, so the labels figure they should sell records to young white people by marketing records made by young white people.

Or maybe I'm totally off. :ugh:

Chief
06-22-2004, 01:32 PM
thats exactly what coz is pointing out......

Chief
06-22-2004, 01:32 PM
im still waiting for the great promised one from my heritage to burst onto the rap scene, its always black/white....never indian.....im feeling oppressed.... :sad:

The_Kay_Dee
06-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Coz is kinda right though, Vanilla Ice continued to get support even after he was found to be a fraud. The beasties were parodying rap on the first album, and found success. They have done some good and even great music, but PE has made some Great music that had to be released independantly. Queen Latifah has her own thing goin' so she can promote her own. PRT..... I thought they were dead, but that goes to prove Coz' point. Bubba Sparxxx is still doin' sh*t and he suxxx.
He will NEVER have the impact PE, PRT or PM DAWN ever had, but he will be marketed. Have you ever watched BET and saw this guy
Stagga Lee? He gets airplay EVERY NIGHT ON thier shows, but the
"ol' School" artists sit at home and reminisce.
I think music is music no matter who makes it, but there truly is an incongruity in the relationship of $$ spent backing Black vs. White artists.... ESPECIALLY OL' SCHOOL.

Cozmo D
06-22-2004, 03:44 PM
I too, believe that music is music regardless of who's making it...but the major record companies DON'T! THAT'S the problem!

There is really NO SUCH THING as demographics by race! Hip-Hop has proven that. True there are demographics by age, sex, geography, and even culture to a certain extent, but to do demographics by race in this day and age is a disgrace!

Boogie
06-22-2004, 04:55 PM
Kay Dee... I know I am not in the friends group so I mean no disrespect, but what you said about Bubba Sparxx is unfair. He is actually a very good friend of mine, and when he talks about his last album "Deliverence" that only sold about 400,000 copies he knows those numbers suck and he is actually getting dropped by his label but he was trying to break new ground. If you have ever listened to it he is trying to fuse Bluegrass and hip hop that shit is out there. I guess working on the business side of the music industry it is hard for me to understand where yall are coming from. The album "Fear of a Black Planet "changed my life, but the average white kids are going to buy an album like that and think man why are they so angry with white people and never buy a PE record again . Digable Planets, Lauryn Hill all very vocal about how much they hated the white race all very talented acts that I love but fuck 'em, I cant support someone who hates me because of skin color. Something that we all can agree on is you can't offend the people that are spending the money black, white, blind, crippled, or crazy it doesnt matter. Just my opinion :blahblah: :blahblah:

The_Kay_Dee
06-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Which part of what I said are you refering to?
The part about his impact, or that he suxxx?
I listened to the album. I promptly took it to CD warehouse and traded it for partial credit on a 702 cd.
I don't remember much about it at all. That is exactly why
I stated he would not have the same impact as PE, PRT or
PM DAWN.
Hate is a whole different subject. Anger at white america is something
ALOT of people, whether musicians, artists, telemarketers, bums
or any other profession have and express everyday.

It is also a different subject than what we are discussing here.
My point with Bubba was that he was marketed to Death, while artists with much more talent and longevity "Sat."

Boogie
06-22-2004, 05:47 PM
You are right, I have a hard time putting into words what I am thinking sometimes. I totally lost track of what I was trying to say. What I was trying to say is I agree with what yall are saying, but seeing what I see everday I just dont think it has to do anything with race when artists get dropped, or doesnt get the push ona record that they deserve. I think the reason why someone like Bubba got so much support even if you think he sucks is because the last album he did I think went platinum, or at least gold this one didnt even do gold so he is getting dropped. ... I agree I fucking hate the industry I work in because of groups like PM Dawn with huge talent not getting backed... I am not making any sense... I am going o crawl back under my rock now

Cozmo D
06-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Please don't Boogie...we need your participation...and it's wanted! :wavey:

No, I don't think that race has much to do with an artist getting dropped, but it has a lot to do with their getting signed and how they're marketed, and the availabillity of their back material after their prime. ;) In a large way though...it's usually the marketing...or lack of it...that leads to them getting dropped...soooo.....

Cozmo D
06-22-2004, 05:58 PM
BTW PEEPS...don't read too much into the Friends group thing...as we get to know you you WILL be added. It's more of a security issue than anything. So PLEASE post! :)

The_Kay_Dee
06-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Yo,
Boogie, no need to go under the rock.
I get what you mean, I just think he suxxx.
I applaud his creative effort, but........
I personally don't feel him. there are some that do.

Chukwuka
06-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Yeah Boog,

As a fan of yours! We would like to see you post alot more... You don't have to post and bounce... All opinions are accepted here!!
I'm sure you didn't mean any harm in your words (they were a lil skrong...excuse the austin lingo) Bubba is cool with me I love Deliverance I haven't listened to the album, but that's how it goes when you try to do something new.... It just takes time... I'm sure you know this as well as Bubba... Hey, let me get some tickets to next years Bubbafest!!!! :grouphug: :blahblah: :beer:

The_Kay_Dee
06-22-2004, 06:12 PM
O.k. Boogie.
I gotta give you 1.
I went on luanchcast to listen to the new song.
Deliverance.
It's good. If This is the level of music he is capable of then
he may change my view.

Etherspin
06-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Chief Grassy Knoll@Jun 22 2004, 05:32 PM
im still waiting for the great promised one from my heritage to burst onto the rap scene, its always black/white....never indian.....im feeling oppressed.... :sad:
already done chiefy .. haha (http://www.mp3.com.au/13th_Son/)

and to top it off , he grew up in australia .. hahaah
theres 2 things everyones been waiting for i bet , a native american descent rapper and a hip hop artist with an aussie accent .. ha ha

Boogie
06-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks guys :wavey: ... Maybe we should all get together and start our own record label. We will get all the talented acts that can't get backing. We can call it " God I hope we don't go broke" records

The_Kay_Dee
06-22-2004, 06:19 PM
:roll: :lolbonk:

Etherspin
06-22-2004, 06:24 PM
i see the logic of what all of you are sayin.. speaking specifically of the beastie boys.. there are many reasons that they would have success including marketing, being white(!!!), having the initial appeal to punk fans.. but i find everyone i know who listens to them is a casual listener.. i have never known anyone passionate about their stuff if you know what i mean ..

i like half their stuff.. but certainly there are better groups around..anyone in the states heard any buzz about whether tribe called quest are doing another album?? ive read some stuf on the net but its several months old ..

Hero1
06-22-2004, 09:52 PM
i think all record companies care about is $$$ where is 3rd bass at by the way?

Cozmo D
06-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by HieroHero@Jun 22 2004, 08:52 PM
i think all record companies care about is $$$ where is 3rd bass at by the way?
3rd Bass broke up...then EACH got deals! Serch then went on to be an A&R.

You can believe what you want...I'm tellin you what I KNOW! Go ahead and try to prove me wrong if you believe otherwise...the evidence speaks for itself. ;)

Cozmo D
06-22-2004, 10:41 PM
By the way...I never said that all record companies care about WASN'T money. It's not their goals that is racist...those goals are purely capitalist...it's their practices that are racist.

I sincerely believe that if record companies thought that they could make more money in the absolute reverse way, they would definitely do it. That doesn't make it any more right, or any less racist.

Hero1
06-22-2004, 10:44 PM
okay.. now back to my original point.. the new beastie boys album is good... :bigthumb:

Foxy11
06-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by HieroHero@Jun 22 2004, 09:44 PM
okay.. now back to my original point.. the new beastie boys album is good... :bigthumb:
:rock: :rock: :rock: got it yesterday