PDA

View Full Version : local slang

Etherspin
04-28-2004, 05:05 PM
define some of your local terminology here , silly slang words at your school, work place, neighbourhood.

The_Kay_Dee
04-28-2004, 11:04 PM
:tinker: Slabs:
Various types of oversized rims for large vehicles.
other variations include: Glass slippers, Skates, Saws
Chokewells, windmills, and Chrome panty magnets.
Wutchallkno'boutthemTexasboys?

Etherspin
04-29-2004, 02:12 AM
heres one that grates on me , and i think its specific to this part of england, correct me if wrong FD , DUCK !

instead of , mate,man,pal etc , they say duck, as in , hello duck, or You alright duck ? or to convert into local pronunciation, Alreeet Duck ?? (alright duck).

A-Up , (Aayup) = hello

combining for the dreaded combination of .... A-Up Duck !!!

tabs = ears

ohh and in the village where i work , the command of the english language is so bad that were is used instead of was and was is used instead of were .. in a perfect swap.. its horrendous....

ohh and back in australia in my city, we said someone was "wok" if they were awkward or uncoordinated....

:banghead:

Louis85
04-29-2004, 07:17 AM
Here in Pittsburgh, the most notorious slang word (that is used no where else in America) is "Yunz". This is the equavalent to you all or y'all. I make sure I never use it especially away from the Burgh. Another slang term: "n'at" is the equavalent to the Candaniens using "eh".

An example: "Yunz, gonna go dahntahn, n'at?"

Translation: "Are you all going to go downtown?"

There have been several books written on Pittsburghese!

Louis

Cozmo D
04-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Heheheheh....where do I start? :rolleyes:

Let's see...calling everybody "son"...including the females. In Queens it's "dun". Actually, that's probably all over the country by now, but it started in Brooklyn, as did most of Hip-Hop's slang.

As a matter of fact...now that I think about it, there's probably very little Brooklyn or NYC slang that hasn't spread like wildfire all over the world.

Here's a couple..."my bag", which is short for "that's my bag" as an answer to the old phrase "who's left holding the bag"...in other words, who fukked up or at least is willing to take the blame. That shit got to Queens, and being the idiots that they are it became "my bad".

When I was a kid and something was really hot or dope we would say it was "serious". If it was really really dope we would say it was "serious as a heart attack", then "serious as cancer", then "serious as death". Finally, we would just say something was "death". Well, that shit got to Queens and being the idiots that they are it became "deaf", which of course Russell Simmons changed to "def".

They've always had real stupid people in Queens.

What the fukk is a "dun" anyway? :rolleyes:

Harmeister
04-29-2004, 09:59 AM
dunno, anyone else?

Be
04-29-2004, 02:56 PM
i donno...but i heard that dun was short for dunlop...which means person...and yeah i got that shit from my peoples in queens...and yeah...they're pretty stupid.

Chief
04-29-2004, 03:30 PM
We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

ChrisLDog
04-29-2004, 04:45 PM
We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Etherspin
04-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Heres a new spin , post some local slang without a meaning and forum members can try to guess/decode what the terms refer to ??

heres one , a reference to a food, used in many places in australia , sangas, pronounced Sang-uz

The_Kay_Dee
04-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Heres one for ya.

Bopper(s).

Cozmo D
04-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Chief Cwictocilacitee@Apr 29 2004, 02:30 PM
What the fukk is this? :confused:

Don't tell me you done gone Crazy Cracka on me just in time to sleep in my living room???!!! :sad:

Guess I'm gonna have to sleep with the machete under my pillow. :cool:

Be
04-29-2004, 10:42 PM
what friggin movie is that from chief....damn...it's on the tip of my brain cell...you know...the only one i got left...holla

oh yeah..p,s,

we need an emoticon that is scratching his head in thought

Cozmo D
04-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Be@Apr 29 2004, 09:42 PM
what friggin movie is that from chief....damn...it's on the tip of my brain cell...you know...the only one i got left...holla
"Crazy Cracka II...Cracka Comes To Brooklyn" :bowlaugh: :bowlaugh: :bowlaugh:

The_Kay_Dee
04-29-2004, 11:40 PM
[SIZE=7]one&three. :blahblah: :blahblah: :beer: :beer: :bash: :madrant: :sleep:

Harmeister
04-30-2004, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Be@Apr 29 2004, 09:42 PM
I found this one can someone add it please?

Brian221
04-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Be@Apr 29 2004, 08:42 PM

oh yeah..p,s,

A Few Good Men

DJ Detroit Butcher
04-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Coz@Apr 29 2004, 08:35 AM
Heheheheh....where do I start? :rolleyes:

Let's see...calling everybody "son"...including the females. In Queens it's "dun". Actually, that's probably all over the country by now, but it started in Brooklyn, as did most of Hip-Hop's slang.

As a matter of fact...now that I think about it, there's probably very little Brooklyn or NYC slang that hasn't spread like wildfire all over the world.

Here's a couple..."my bag", which is short for "that's my bag" as an answer to the old phrase "who's left holding the bag"...in other words, who fukked up or at least is willing to take the blame. That shit got to Queens, and being the idiots that they are it became "my bad".

When I was a kid and something was really hot or dope we would say it was "serious". If it was really really dope we would say it was "serious as a heart attack", then "serious as cancer", then "serious as death". Finally, we would just say something was "death". Well, that shit got to Queens and being the idiots that they are it became "deaf", which of course Russell Simmons changed to "def".

They've always had real stupid people in Queens.

What the fukk is a "dun" anyway? :rolleyes:
COZ!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!
I KNEW I WASN'T THE CRAZY ONE!!

Around '92, people started saying "my bad"... here in detroit. I SWORE to this girl that it was actually "my BAG" ... and everyone thought I was nuts! DAMMIT! :bowlaugh:

Louis85
05-02-2004, 04:34 PM
I noticed that quote right away Chief. One of my favorite rants!