PDA

View Full Version : A sad day in Cleveland

LumtheMad
03-12-2004, 12:18 AM
A really damn fine music store which i love is going under. I know it doesn't seem like much but this place was great at having really obscure stuff already ordered. It's a big ole bummer .It was also a hip little place because it was close to home. It is just sort of sad because you don't think about it but i actually built sort of relationships with some of the shop clerks.

I know they'll be other music stores but this place really felt like one of a kind and in a great sort of way. It's name was My Generation. It's set to shut it's doors for good the end of April.

Guess it's back to picking up stuff (not whores) on the internet for me! Oh well.... :cry:

DJ Detroit Butcher
03-12-2004, 12:52 AM
I feel you totally. i'm still mourning the loss of a record store that closed down here 10 years ago. some places cannot be replaced.

sdldawn
03-12-2004, 01:46 AM
There was one that went down in Jackson, MS where I live.. That I loved a lot.. It had all the great indie music and everything they got in was just great music. It was in a two story building with a few (really nice) stores and the record shop had a bar on the top level where bands played. Nice atmophere in such.. it went down last summer and I miss it a lot.

justafan
03-12-2004, 02:28 AM
I guess I am lucky living in Omaha. Our quirky local music stores flourish all around town... but this town is artsy and luckily we keep those specialty stores around...

To show we are lucky... How many theaters have just one screen these days? Well one by my house does and I know everyone that works there, these people were made to work there, I don't know what else they would want to do with themselves if the place closed. They do good business though, with letting in everyone they know for free...

Poetdude
03-12-2004, 07:27 AM
I know how you feel, Lum. The music stores that I love here did not close, but I can no longer go to them. I recently moved from St. Louis to Warrenton, Missouri, which is a much smaller town. We had a lot of great shops that I LOVED where I used to live, but here, we only have 1 record shop, and it doesn't carry much of anything that interests me in the least! THANK GOD for amazon.com! But it always sucks to lose one of your favorite hang-outs!

Peace,
Poetdude

cabotb
03-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Poetdude@Mar 12 2004, 06:27 AM
I recently moved from St. Louis to Warrenton, Missouri
I used to live in the Ozarks! St. Louis was the place I'd go to find all the music I wanted, or I'd just mail-order it. Vintage Vinyl and Streetside Records were a big help there.

One of the good things about New York is that you can find just about any piece of music you're looking for. Even small businesses who import foreign bands' CDs are based here.

LumtheMad
03-12-2004, 09:11 PM
It sure enough blows i say. I know somewhere round the Cleveland area there has to be some sorta other hook-up. There will be no replacing this joint . It sounds like we've all stumbled into this sorta deal. I will be on the prowl. but yeah at least Amazon.com is pretty damn good about stuff. Leaves an option open.

Just picked up the DVD Dead Man today at the place. I'm trying to find the rare stuff i can and buy buy buy!!!