PDA

View Full Version : Attention everyone

SaintHax
12-01-2003, 08:47 PM
First off we are on the new server :thumup:

and second I didn't plan on moving so soon but we had a little glitch with the current server and a security hole was found, some little genius installed something called a "rootkit" and for you non-technical people that kinda like a virus for Unix systems. Following normal procedure for when something like this happens I ran backups and got ready to restore the server's OS well I thought about it for a min and said fukk it we're moving, so welcome to the new server.

Things might act up a bit while I do some final tweaking to the site since I had to move a 75mb database of posts and a load of other files so stick with me.

I feel kinda stupid that part of my job is to secure and manage people's servers and mine got nailed, seems like I was asking for it though, I didn't really care anyway as long as this site's database was backed up and working...no more easy passwords or security patches that I wait too long to install on my own server. Sucks cause I spent so much of my time locking down other peoples servers that I didn't really do much with my own. The only thing as an admin that freaks me out about this new server is that we have 1 hard drive and nothing to backup to right now, so cross your fingers and when I can afford the monthly fee for a 2nd drive I have it installed, I'm already spending more than I can afford with this new server so bare with me as I try to pull this off. We'll still have weekly backups though so I'm not biting all my finger nails off...yet.

Have fun, enjoy the server, it should be faster for most of you...blah

Hero1
12-01-2003, 09:22 PM
hax 2 the rescue..1nce again :rock: :rock:

Cozmo D
12-02-2003, 10:41 PM
You da man Hax...even if you didn't show up in Greensboro this weekend! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Hey, what kind of hard drives do you use, maybe I can help out there.

Oh, and we'll be in Charlotte on the 19th...YA BUM!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SaintHax
12-02-2003, 10:45 PM
I can't use my own hard drives, the server is leased from a datacenter and they charge by whats in the server and how much bandwidth it uses. but look on the bright side it's sitting on top of a 6000Mbit network so it damn sure won't be slow. That sure beats my 1Mbit DSL

DJ Detroit Butcher
12-04-2003, 03:27 AM
:rock: :rock: