PDA

View Full Version : Seal's New Album

Louis85
09-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Is available to listen for free on the fan website until the album is released on September 9th.

http://www.seal.com/sealiv/index.cfm (click on Seal IV)

The songs that I heard sound pretty smooth. Please let me know what you all think. My favorite cut is "Heavenly".

Louis

(Disclaimer: The only reason I posted this is because I know we have a few crossover Seal fans on this site as well, so please don't be pissed at this post!)

Louis85
09-06-2003, 08:59 AM
I guess no one cares. :donno:

Chief
09-06-2003, 11:00 AM
actually Louis, I went there to hear it but it was not on the site....i forgot to post about it...whats the deal..or did I look in the wrong place

STANLEY C. TAYLOR
09-06-2003, 06:09 PM
I've been listening to Seal from day one. I bought the single 'Get it Together" and it sounds pretty good. I am looking forward to this album. I wonder if Lisa and Wendy are involved. :rock: :rock: :rock:

filmwizdaddy
09-07-2003, 02:18 AM
No one cares about seal or music like that in tihs forum....

It is all about stupid FOLK music around here.......

Or music with ridiculously deep lyrics around here.......post something wih the name

"BOB DYLAN" around here and people will actually care.

Honestly I think it is the worst genre in music history. BORING........

They need to discontinue making boring acoustic guitars too.

SORRY BUT I AM RAMBLING AGAIN and I NOTHING I HAVE SAID MAKES ANY SENSE........... :donno:

Louis85
09-07-2003, 10:58 AM
actually Louis, I went there to hear it but it was not on the site....i forgot to post about it...whats the deal..or did I look in the wrong place

Chief, they may have already removed the album songs from the site. They were only supposed to have them on the site until the album was released. I tried to bring up the Seal Player here from home and was unable to this morning. :sad:

Filmwiz: I am ALMOST as big of a Seal fan as I am PM Dawn. Unlike PM Dawn, I have actually seen Seal perform live. He gives a GREAT live performance. Seeing PM Dawn live would be equally as sweet.

I think music is a personal thing that should be appreciated individually. Personally I don't care what music others listen too, because it will NEVER influence my taste in music. I do think it's cool when you run across others who appreciate some of the same bands you do. That's what makes these forums interesting, n'est pas? And I have yet to meet another person who likes EXACTLY ALL the bands that I like, which is okay. We must celebrate our different interests sometimes, not criticize others for having them. You like what you like, no apologies necessary.

:cool:

Louis

Chief
09-07-2003, 01:22 PM
i guess i will wait util the 9th and go buy it....only 2 days away... :rock:

Louis85
09-08-2003, 11:00 AM
Hmm, Chief I was able to play the Seal Player today at work (T1 line), but I wasn't able to play it with my 56K dialup at home.

I don't know whether it only runs on the faster connection or not. Click on "launch seal player". http://www.seal.com/sealiv/index.cfm#

frEk
09-08-2003, 11:44 AM
folk music? what you on about now?

filmwizdaddy
09-08-2003, 11:10 PM
Sorry I am being stupid..........never mind me :thumup:

syxxpm
09-08-2003, 11:43 PM
so what film wiz is really saying is THATS ALL FOLKS :rofl: :rofl:

filmwizdaddy
09-10-2003, 01:07 AM
yeah but NOT ALL FOLKS in the future. I am sure I have plenty more smart arse things to say later on.......

ok....now where is coz.......................

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Elizabeth
09-10-2003, 09:26 AM
Oh my God! I'm gonna go buy it today. I don't even need to listen to it. I love Seal, and I've been waiting for this, wondering when his next release would be. This is awesome. Thanks Louis!!! You totally made my day/month/year/whatever.

Okay, Filmwiz.... assuming that was NOT sarcasm you've just utilized, I have got to say how completely off you are. First, I really like Dylan. I think he has good music that has substance to it. I understand it may be an acquired taste to some, but the least you could do is be respectful towards an artist with "ridiculously deep lyrics". That's such an ironic statement, being that you are on the PM DAWN FORUM! HELL-o.

Anyway. Another thing... I think you're off because I think I am probably the only one (if not, then one of very few) who DO give a damn about Dylan on this board. I think PM Dawn and Seal really reign here, so I don't know where you got that idea from. So I think you grossly misjudged everyone there. IMHO. As a matter of fact, I don't remember any previous times of us even discussing Dylan, but I have been pretty absent, so I will give some benefit of the doubt on that.

Again, the reverence for PM Dawn and Seal, the bashing of Dylan for the deep lyrics... wtf? To me this makes no sense. One may even say that PM Dawn and Seal have DEEPer lyrics than Dylan! Dylan, being a folk artist, can be more narrative, while Seal and PM Dawn can be more abstract and otherworldly. If anything, I could see you disliking Dylan for the style of the music (your hate for acoustic guitars, even though both PM Dawn and Seal have used that sound in their music!), not the hate of DEEP LYRICS. I wonder if you've ever even heard a Dylan song!? I hate to admit this, but as far as depth of lyrics goes, I've known way more people who like Dylan than PM Dawn and Seal, and I think part of the reason could be that they are able to grasp Dylan, and maybe not always grasp the lyrics of PM Dawn and Seal. AHHHHH! The point was supposed to be: if you don't like so-called "deep" lyrics, then what are you doing here?

And I don't like folk music either. Generally. What I DO like is that I can recognize someone who has something true in their soul they're expressing, and that escapes all genres, labels, and boundaries that people may try to group them in. Whether it be pop, folk, rap, rock, soul, country-- whatever. If it's good music by an artist with substance, that is ALL that matters. Folk, boring? Maybe. But let's not count someone out just because you consider him to be folk.

In this respect, PM Dawn, Seal, and Dylan are all the same "genre". But there goes the human mind again, trying to box everything...

:cuss:
end rant.
Elizabeth

Brian221
09-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Liz....

You may want to listen to it before you buy it...
I would have normally just bought it, because I've like Seal albums in the past....but I checked it out on the website...listened to the entire thing through, and I think there was only 1 track I actually enjoyed listening to.

Dissappointed former Seal fan, :cuss:

bRiAn

Elizabeth
09-10-2003, 09:58 AM
Wow...

strong words, man.
Thanks for the heads-up...

Elizabeth :donno:

Cozmo D
09-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Sorry I am being stupid..........never mind me :thumup:

Ahhhh...Elizabeth, I see those highly emotional pregnancy mood swings have set in! :wink: :thumup: :rofl:

How's the jelly belly doin Sweet? Hope everythings rollin along fine! :wave:

EZ
COZ

Louis85
09-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Elizabeth,

I have a slightly different spin on the Seal IV album than Brian. He tries to mix up his style a bit on this album. The tracks don't all sound the same. Still, I really like 4 tracks on the new album. I have been listening to it for the last seven days including today (my usual growth period for albums), and I still only like the 4 tracks, the others still have to grow a bit.

I'm a HUGE Seal fan, STILL, but this is by far NOT his best album in my opinion. But you know what opinions are like :moon: So judge it for yourself there lady! :rock:

Louis

Brian221
09-10-2003, 01:54 PM
...oh yes, I wasn't saying don't give it a chance...just a big fan of 'try-before-you-buy' in this case. :thumup:

bRiAn

filmwizdaddy
09-10-2003, 05:34 PM
I like it better than all of his past albums because it is SOULFUL........something he should have done from the start. It is a whole lot funkier and to me it is a better mix.

AND ELIZ.........you know why I joke around so much.....because it so easy to piss people off........ :rofl:

oh yeah and by the way

now that we are talking about DYLAN.

DIdn't Sam cooke right a song called "Long time Comin" or a song like that in response to a Dylan song about racism?????? or was that someone else???? I could have sworn Dylan wrote a song talking about segregation or something.....I am not sure so DONT GET SO UP TIGHT....... :donno: I will definitely check on the song title though for COOKE.

filmwizdaddy
09-10-2003, 05:35 PM
sorry the song he wrote was "a change is gonna come"

filmwizdaddy
09-10-2003, 05:40 PM
oh yeah and the song was in response to Dylan's "Blowin in the Wind."

filmwizdaddy
09-10-2003, 05:48 PM
actually As I read I see now
Yeah the song Blowin in the Wind is actually written to protest the oppresion of minorites.

Cozmo D
09-10-2003, 05:49 PM
What the hell does "A Change Is Gonna Come" have to do with "Blowing In The Wind"? Perhaps you ment inspired by instead of in response to? :donno:

Come with the facts baby! :wink:

Cozmo D
09-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Oh, got your foot out yo mouf I see! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Be
09-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Well...

i Ran...

Bought 2 copies because that's how i support artists that i like...

(and also because i'm rough on cds)

track 9 & 10..:rock:

everything else :donno:

as a matter of fact :poke: one might go as far as to say :slap:

these are my feelings
for what they're worth..

all i know is that i gave myself an ulcer...worrying and hoping not to do this very thing to my own fans...

HOLLA!!!!
:sad:
b.

syxxpm
09-10-2003, 11:06 PM
and you never did.... so quit worrying and thinking what we think take two death breaths and have a cookie dammit........ :mrgreen: :wave: :weird: :rock:

Hero1
09-11-2003, 03:55 AM
and you never did.... so quit worrying and thinking what we think take two death breaths and have a cookie dammit........ :mrgreen: :wave: :weird: :rock:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

seriously of all my favorite artists..pm dawn is the only 1 who hasnt made a disappointing album

Louis85
09-11-2003, 07:56 AM
track 9 & 10..:rock:

everything else :donno:

as a matter of fact :poke: one might go as far as to say :slap:

these are my feelings
for what they're worth..

all i know is that i gave myself an ulcer...worrying and hoping not to do this very thing to my own fans...

b.

"Heavenly" is the best track on his new album.

None of your albums have ever disappointed me. Not a bad one in the bunch. Hell, the songs that don't make your albums don't disappoint! Keep crankin' em!

Brian221
09-11-2003, 10:17 AM
shake, shake....one time.

ChrisLDog
09-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Was that a jab, Brian? 'Cause if it was, I'm with you. That's the one song on all the albums that I can say I really don't like. Everything else is is pretty great with the exception of a few songs that are just "good".

Be
09-11-2003, 12:45 PM
as Fred Durts Would say...

When is comes to shake...if i wuz you...plasic... and music for carnivors...

"I'm, in Agrreance..that i made some mistakes...with a few songs"

sorry about that
b.

syxxpm
09-11-2003, 12:50 PM
dont worry about it bester,,,,,i happen to like all four.....ironically i think music for carnivores is one of your BEST songs.....and i like plastic and if i was u.....shake...on the other hand...is more or less a giggle inducer than it is a track changer :rofl:

Brian221
09-11-2003, 02:29 PM
I had to rethink this...cause in 1991...shake would have been aiight...
Now its just a track I skip....

And I absolutely love the accoustic version of "If I Wuz U" :thumup:
...and "Music for Carnevores" has really grown on me.

bRiAn

ChrisLDog
09-11-2003, 07:55 PM
I totally agree with Brian and Syxx here, too. I like "If I Wuz U" and I love the acoustic "If I Wuz U". "Music for Carnivores" is a definite keeper and "Plastic" sounds like an early peek at Be Bastard. That's a good thing. :rock:

Be
09-11-2003, 08:17 PM
well here's the skinny....(no pun intended... 6)

if i wuz u..was revisited because i wasn't satisfied with the way it came out...same situation as i hate myself for you...

music for carnivores...i cringe when i listen to it because i believe the message gets lost in the title...while i was writing it ..it was called "music for canibals" which would've been better....but i changed it to carnivors when i was finished to make it more universal to flesh in general...beyond human experiences nah mean....but i should've left it alone...it would've been easier for people to swallow...

in a nutshell..

i believe i out thought myself..

plasic...i was just disapointed that i couldn't figure out a way to sing on that track instead of rap on it...i didn't really want to rap on it...

that's just what happens to me when i listen to those songs...

and let's not even talk about "The Beautiful"

b

dreamrib
09-11-2003, 08:56 PM
i acutally really like Music for Carnivores.

shake....hmm if it catches me in the right mood. Plastic is one I just couldn't get into.

If I Wuz U...i like it, can't say I listen to it a lot but i like it. Where is there an accoustic version???? I don't have that one.

ahh..The Beautiful..I acutally like that one, i always listen to it when I have the cd or mixed cd in....

One song I have to say I was completely clueless to , thinking it was all flowers & roses, and once Be explained it & i got the twist to it i liked it even more.....was Perfect.

Louis85
09-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Yeah, "Carnivores" is a cool song, a great album starter. I can relate to that song totally. "Plastic" is just one song away from my favorite on the album. "Shake" I just considered a dance tune. Extend and remix it and that's what it'll be used for. And I love both version (that I heard) of If I Wuz U (probably the acoustic version a little better). The "Hate Myself" remix I like much better than the one on the album.

The important thing is that the album have more great songs than "filler" songs. And PM Dawn albums don't have too much "filler". They're always packed with great songs. NO DISAPPOINTING ALBUMS YET!!!

:rock: :rock: :bowdown:

louis

Hero1
09-12-2003, 10:10 AM
music for carnivores..i never really took much notice of the title..just liked the song..great opening to dearest christian..

plastic..well when i got the bliss album it was years later..so i never really understood the point of the song

if i waz u..was never a favorite of mine..but as brian said the acoustic version is kool

shake was probably good in 91..but ive only really ever listened to it a few times..

but the "mistakes" u made in of the heart is what makes the album so great..its raw..its original it was the birth of pm dawn :rock: if u did shake prt 2 on jim sullivan then i might have to :slap: you

Elizabeth
09-12-2003, 03:50 PM
Coz and Film-- yeah, I guess I should chill, huh? :donno: :laugh: Oh well.
Coz-- we're doing very well. But the "jelly belly" isn't really too too big yet. This girl at work asked to touch my belly and I let her... and (bear in mind, she's younger than me) she said "EW! It feels weird! It's ... soft." and I was like... Thanks... :umm: Like it was supposed to be all hard right now or something. grrr. Not a very sensitive thing to say to a pregnant lady! But she's nice and I know she didn't mean it that way. So I didn't freak out on her like I did on Film. :rofl:

Film-- yeah dude... Dylan is Jewish, so I would hope he's not a fan of segregation. That's actually part of why I respect him so much-- he's a civil rights kinda guy. All that boring hippie folk music, ya know. :wink:

Be-- I understand any feelings you may have looking back on Shake and The Beautiful... but all the other tracks you mentioned were truly awesome. I can't even believe you were disappointed in some of them! That's amazing. So rock on.

love to all,
Elizabeth
(still hasn't got the Seal album, but will)

filmwizdaddy
09-15-2003, 02:40 AM
Film-- yeah dude... Dylan is Jewish, so I would hope he's not a fan of segregation. That's actually part of why I respect him so much-- he's a civil rights kinda guy. All that boring hippie folk music, ya know. :wink:

Like I said REALLY DONT MIND ME....... :laugh:

Thats good to know.........I will let you in on a little secret as to why I don't like Dylan and I will expose it to everyone.

I was in a middle of a first night out with this particular girl and some idiot came in and started talking to us. By the end of the night......he tried to give his number to her. It turns out that he gets her a month later. THIS OCCURED MAINLY BECAUSE THEY HAD "SIMILAR" interests. We didn't click as well. That night he mentioned he likes Dylan.......and she gets all excited and says "I do too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" It was over from their.....a month later she was all his and crazy as it goes they are no longer together. It never amounted to anything. And I haven'y gotten back to her either. DOH!!!!!!! MAAAANNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

It is hard to be white and really........i mean really be into black music. Because to me a person's personality is clear as day with what kind of music they listen to. So...........Dylan peeps and me would get along but I don't have a great experience getting their attention with "similar interests" :mrgreen:

Hero1
09-15-2003, 02:50 AM
hey filmwiz ever met any really hot girls who are in2 underground hip hop? :wink: i think the few that are end up fucking their fav undergound rapper anyway :cuss:

bobble
09-22-2003, 09:15 PM
Be said:

Aww, that's too bad Be. Ulcers ain't nuttin good and I don't think you ever let anyone down. But this does bring up an interesting topic which, given the number of artists on these boards, should get some interesting replies.

I was wondering how much of an obligation a musician, artist, etc. has to his/her/its fans? How much of an obligation does they have to serve their own artistic ambitions and designs? Should some sort of balance be achieved?

This is why I think there's always been an uneasy tension stemming from selling music. Don't be interesting or artistic, be marketable. This is why I laugh whenever someone points at a band and said "They sold out!" Oh please. In the words of someone else: "All you know about me is what I've sold you,
dumb fuck. I sold out long before you ever heard my name. I sold my soul to make a record, dip shit. And you bought one."

At the same time, I hate how fans get upset at an artist for changing or doing something different. I mean, are they making music for the fans, or music that they're inspired/driven to make, regardless of outside pressures?

Be, in my opinion, if you followed your artistic drives. If the music you made was the music you wanted to make for yourself, not for your fans, not for your record company or anyone else, that's worth respect. And I think that shows in the end result.

Louis 85 said: "The important thing is that the album have more great songs than "filler" songs. And PM Dawn albums don't have too much "filler"." And he's right, that's what sets PM Dawn songs above the rest.

I'll admit, I haven't liked every album PM Dawn released, but what's worth noting is that I'm still here (along with everyone else) and when times get hectic/rough/painful/tense (as they were these last few weeks), guess what cds are finding there way into my cd player? I find myself walking to school listening to "Serenade a Rainbow" and kickass cover of a Beatles song that I like more than the original. 10 years later, I'm here, and so's everyone else.

Anyways, any thoughts or opinions?

Chief
09-22-2003, 11:22 PM
oh shit bobble..now youve gone and quoted Louis...like the man needs a bigger head (thats what she said... :rofl: ) :rock:

P.S. thanks for Stewart ya good for nothing... :wink:

Louis85
09-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Sorry Chief man! The biggest knock against Stewart is his inconsistency. He'll have good games and very bad games.

P.s. Big-headed? Me? Nah. Right or wrong--I'm a humble man. :wink:

Louis

Elizabeth
10-10-2003, 04:22 PM
I dig the personal anecdote... it's understandably human and sheds light on your dislike of Dylan. So... cool.

But you lost me on the being white and into black music thing.

Elizabeth
who's into GOOD music.

Etherspin
10-11-2003, 05:57 PM
back on the subject of seal, i have only just had a decent listen of my copy.. and yes im dissapointed.. the songs on human being for example seemed so quirky and soulful, individual but characteristically seal but these tracks seem like an attempt to fulfil as many styles of song as poss on one cd and quite superficially..

oh well..
there will be more from him.. just that its another 6 years or so down the track ....

:weird:

Louis85
10-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Tim,

Give it a couple more listens. I had two or three of the tracks grow on me like "Waiting For You" and "Don't Make Me Wait". I will NEVER state that this album is his best work, but I am slowly starting to like it.

Louis