PDA

View Full Version : My Music Page Ready

DJ Detroit Butcher
08-11-2003, 06:21 PM
It's been up since June 1st actually, but now that we've decided on the final mixes for the album, and what songs not to include, etc... it's ready for review.

Anyone who's visited previously, we've dropped all the old school fresh prince type shit, and are now concentrating on the LP tracks. Yes, it IS an LP, at least from my perspective. It's only 6 songs, but the total length is just under 47 mins. The first 3 albums from the Time only has six songs each too....

So this is what I'm representing right now. I produced this LP for an old high school buddy. He emcees, I do the beats. It's a lil too sample heavy for my tastes, but I produced these tracks at the request of the emcee. 5 out of 6 of these songs, at least use the samples in a Dust Brothers way, i suppose. Talking 4 - 6 different samples and loops all sewn together at once. "Paul's Boutique", anyone?

THIS IS NOT SPAM DAMMIT

I only visit 3 message boards, and this is the only one (pmdawn.net) that I've posted this at. I doubt the folks at prince.org or whitestripes.net are even trying to hear this stuff.

So whatever, Check it out, or don't. But if you check it out, please hit me either here, in public, or in private and tell me what you HONESTLY thought of the tracks.

I'm real proud of the intro to the album. It's lengthy, but it's the spot on the album where I got to do MY thing. If I was an emcee, which I'm not (my guest spot on the album notwithstanding), I'd drop this style.

The album is called "The Ghetto Has Two Sides"... and I can be found all over the Detroit area slangin copies of it for free. (We're just trying to get heard/noticed)....

Why this title? The album is split into two sides (as if it were on vinyl .... our old school roots still show even if the music isn't so old school).
Side 1 is .... I hate to label our shit, but I guess it's hardcore hip hop (not hardcore as in "got my nine and i shot ya, nigga" type shit.... but it's a deep, textured style. I said "hip hop" , not "rap"...)

Side 2 is, by the words of the emcee (the treacherous rhyme kicker.... hahahahah sorry, i don't know). more "for the ladies" ... hrmm well i didn't write the songs dammit.

Anyone who has any judgemental comments about 1) the fact that there's a weed song on the album or 2) the intro to "first luv" needs to understand that most of what's on this album is tongue in cheek. You'll never hear T.R.K. or myself refer to women in that way. And despite the fact that T.R.K. is black, I'm not, and I'd never go so far above my own believed fiction to say that "this side of songs is for my NIGGAZ", etc. ...

It's one of those albums where you can't really take a single song and listen to it out of the context of the album as a whole... so if you've got 45 mins, check it out in it's entirity, in sequence, please.

Ok, I've rambled on long enough. Coz, check us out again when you have the chance before you hit me with that "indepth review" you promised us.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/detroitbutcher.htm

Meanwhile, I've got a band. They're Called Joyeux Hastie and we do what's been described as psychedelic blues with a jazz twist, followed by sound paintings? Whatever. Our latest album, put out by us last year is available for download also at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/joyeuxha...eexperience.htm (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/joyeuxhastieexperience.htm)

and it would be really cool if some of you would check that out too. This is a taste of where I was coming from musically last year. It barely scratches the surface; I grew up listening to the Electrifying Mojo....

Cozmo D
08-12-2003, 09:51 AM
Coz, check us out again when you have the chance before you hit me with that "indepth review" you promised us.

Will do! :mrgreen: