PDA

View Full Version : using reason...

Hero1
03-08-2003, 12:57 AM
i was just reading how king britt created a whole track on his new album (adventures in lo-fi out march) only using reason!

King Britt created one Adventures in Lo-Fi track, “Apollo Creed” featuring Will Brodie, using only Propellerhead Reason. Britt explains how he did it: “In the beginning, I was going to work on a Scuba track, and then I thought, ‘I've never done a slow Scuba track. I've always done them uptempo, so let me start with a downtempo Scuba-type track [and record it for Adventures].’ With Scuba, I always did the saw-wave, lush keyboards. I had this keyboard sound on the NN19 [digital sampler], and I ran it through a flanger and filtered it and manipulated it so that it wasn't a factory sound. Then, I did the keyboards and the beat underneath. I used ReDrum [drum machine], and I did that beat real simple. But I messed with the drums a little bit, made them edgy with the EQ by taking the highs all the way up on drums in the mix. And then I did the bass line using a bass sound called Real Bass in Subtractor [polyphonic synthesizer]. Then, I was like, ‘The track's banging, but it needs something else.’ So I did a change-up a fifth on the keyboard and added this really spacey sound from the NN19 and delayed it out. Then, I took the whole track and saved each sequence as a WAV file with 8-bar loops of each part. Finally, I brought it all into Logic, cut the vocals and mixed it.”