PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Purple Rain?

STANLEY C. TAYLOR
01-28-2003, 11:01 PM
I recently purchased Purple Rain on DVD. No matter how many times I see this movie, I will never grow tired of it. Who cares if the instruments weren't really plugged in, and so what if they weren't good actors, it is still one of the greatest rock and roll pictures of all time. I already had it on video so why not DVD?

Anywho, I was fulling around in the menu hoping to find deleted scenes the would be found on the floor during editing, and decided to play the Theatrical Trailer. What I would find were scenes that did not make it to the film, from Prince meeting Appollonia at a (Mmmm....Appollonia) Sorry. Prince running into Appollonia at a barn which possibly led up to them getting it on while When doves cry was being played. Another scene which was removed was when Prince was in a tussle with Jellybean at the dance studio were Appollonia 6 was rehearsing and Prince suckerpunched him. Lastly, my sister went to see the movie when it first came out and she mentioned that they showed how badly beaten the mother was after Francis L whoop her ass. But cable-airing, video, DVD showed nada. It's like no one even wants to remember those scenes. If anyone has info on what happened here, please drop a brotha a line.

If you can hear it, it is speaking to you; but if you can see it, it is yours to have.
[/list]

sdldawn
01-29-2003, 02:11 AM
almost positive if u post this prince.org you will get what u are asking for..

;-) :wave:

Mistress M
01-29-2003, 03:38 AM
Aw man, purple rain, I love that movie...I had forgotten about it, it's been so long since I've seen it!!!

Prince was so cool :rock:

Hero1
01-29-2003, 05:23 AM
remember when be was so hoped up on his drugs he just started quoting purple rain in the chatroom for an hour? :laugh: :laugh:

Louis85
01-29-2003, 10:38 AM
Stanley,

Excellent movie! I loved watching Rain in the theatre when it first came out. I did not like Prince until I saw this movie! I think many people felt the same way.

Does your version show Jerome throwing the chick in the dumpster? I know whenever they show Purple Rain on broadcast TV, that scene is taken out as well. I kinda remember the buzz around the scenes that were taken out when the movie was released. The uncut version would have been a good candidate for NC-17. Of course, I don't think that rating existed at that time.

Louis

daveisback
01-29-2003, 12:36 PM
aw man... youve reminded me, i gotta buy under the cherry moon!
just purely for its comic value! :mrgreen:

has anyone seen 3 chains of gold? whats it like? thats a hard one to track down aswell :sad:

sdldawn
01-29-2003, 02:30 PM
under the cherry moon is great

3 chains of gold is like a hard "tit".. its good, but there is no warmth to it...

okay, so eye love both :weird:

STANLEY C. TAYLOR
02-02-2003, 03:16 PM
As a matter of fact, Louis. That scene you asked about is indeed there. I crack up everytime I look at it. While she's cussing out Morris for standing her up, I always beat everyone else saying "Jerome" because her ass is going in the dumpster. I don't remember that scene being cut broadcast-tv.

STANLEY C. TAYLOR
02-02-2003, 03:20 PM
By the way. 3 chain's of gold was pretty cool. I used to think Mayte was dancing for me. but that's another story. Under the Cherry Moon was ok, but didn't quite live up to its predecessor (Purple Rain, course) as for as I can see. But that's just my opinion. Graffiti Bridge was kind of weak, thought. Sign O the Times I still haven't seen.

Etherspin
02-02-2003, 06:36 PM
i havent seen three chains of gold ??whats it all bout ....

daveisback
02-03-2003, 12:38 PM
aww, sign o the times is quality, its mainly just concert footage, but its a hell of a show. :cool:

daveisback
02-03-2003, 12:43 PM
chains o gold never appealed to me because the symbol album just didnt seem to have any vibe to it. Diamonds and Pearls ok, he was showing how eclectic he could be but it got a bit to self indulgent with O)+>
:donno:

frEk
02-03-2003, 02:00 PM
i think the symbol album was his best work ever

syxxpm
02-03-2003, 08:47 PM
it did have 7 so that is a plus :mrgreen:

frEk
02-03-2003, 10:51 PM
blue light was kind of a song for me and this gurl, sometimes a song just hits certain shit right on the fucking money.

Brian221
02-04-2003, 10:31 AM
i feel you frek...i love that album...blue light was one of my most listened to tracks on that one...along w/ morning papers and sexy mf.

bRiAn

Louis85
02-04-2003, 12:12 PM
As a matter of fact, Louis. That scene you asked about is indeed there. I crack up everytime I look at it. While she's cussing out Morris for standing her up, I always beat everyone else saying "Jerome" because her a$$ is going in the dumpster. I don't remember that scene being cut broadcast-tv.

I can't remember which cable network broadcast I last saw Purple Rain on, Lifetime maybe? Anyway, I'm glad they didn't cut it from your version Stanley. I hate the hack jobs that some of those cable networks do to the movies!

syxxpm
02-04-2003, 01:50 PM
purple rain is on sale at cvs for 9.99 (cd) :thumup:

Elizabeth
02-06-2003, 11:37 AM
I thought Graffiti Bridge was far better than Purple Rain. I love it.

Under The Cherry Moon was awesome, too.

Elizabeth

DJ Detroit Butcher
02-10-2003, 03:01 AM
purple rain = classic. we always watch it on network tv when it comes on just cuz the way it's edited is hilarious.

under the cherry moon = very underated classic.

sign o the times = one of the best concert flicks ever.

graffiti bridge = pretty tight sequel to purple rain, i dug it.

3 chains o gold = oh lord. 80 minutes of my life i'll never get back. fucking horrid. for those who haven't seen it, don't bother. it's just videos for most of the songs on the symbol lp strung together with a small bit of narrative in between. the story goes nowhere, the videos don't help. mayte's father's been killed over some ancient gold necklaces, prince rescues mayte and changed his name at the end. whatever.